Pop Quiz (part XXII) - call, fold or shove

robilaruk

Pop Quiz (part XXII) - call, fold or shove  

1. 1.

• Call and hope to hit trips
    • Fold, you are behind
    • Shove and make it look like AA

unusual one this one, its early and still 9 players left, had lots of pairs and high suited connectors and have been limping with poistion and calling min raises etc, so have lost 1/4 of my stack or so as I keep missing and I end up with 77 UTG - there is just over 1 min until the blinds go up, so i will be on the BB next with the blinds 100/200 by the time everyone decides to call or fold so whats my play after I limp (again)? the others are the usual mixture of loose players raising and calling any Ace, any 2 broadway and pair etc cheers Damo 50.00/100.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 05 June 2007 18:45:20 Seat 1: carlosdat (1125.00) Seat 3: robilaruk (1255.00) Seat 4: Williiiii (585.00) Seat 5: FIORDILOTO (2265.00) Seat 6: scottishd (3160.00) Seat 7: Rawhiti (1205.00) Seat 8: joly (1530.00) Seat 9: yuyarson (2265.00) Seat 10: Dyhr007 (1610.00) Dyhr007 post SB 50.00 carlosdat post BB 100.00 ** Deal ** robilaruk [7c, 7d] *** Bet Round 1 *** robilaruk Call 100.00 Williiiii Fold FIORDILOTO Fold scottishd Fold Rawhiti Fold joly Raise to 300.00 yuyarson Fold Dyhr007 Call 300.00 carlosdat Call 300.00 Hero???????

Re: Pop Quiz (part XXII) - call, fold or shove Hmm, I will start by saying that I think that limping UTG with 77 with 12,5 BB left is a bad play to begin with, in my opinion. If there was anybody behind you, but before the raiser, you would have to throw it away, because you the risc running into a push preflop. (or be prepared to go all-in with the 77) If there was fewer players in the pot or the raiser had raised more the same would be the case. But since there are no one to act between you and the raiser, you are sure that you will see the flop if you call, so I dont think you can throw the hand away. There is already a 1000 in the pot and it will only cost you 200 more to call, we know a pair turns into a set about 1 out of 8 times on the flop, so if you on on average just get the others to put 400 more in when you hit your set you have odds to play your hand for set value. You could try to push and hope nobody have an overpair and some of you opponents will fold. But I`m affraid you will run into a domino effect if you try that, the original rasier will probably call no matter if he have an overpair or an High cards, and the there will be so much money in the pot, and the small blind will only have 825 left so he will have to call. And then the BB will probably call too, because the pot will be so huge. and even if they all only have 2 unpaired overcards you doN´t want to play 77 agsainst 3 opponents with unpaired overcards. So I think a call must be the right move here, and just be prepared to throw them away if you doN´t hit your set on the flop.

Re: Pop Quiz (part XXII) - call, fold or shove I probably would fold this one in EP. I might even fold after all the raises and calls because I believe, in STTs, stack is more important for me than the draws and odds,etc. But surely I can't argue with calling.

Re: Pop Quiz (part XXII) - call, fold or shove thanks for the replies - I agree Viggo - in hindsight it was an extremely poor call and made worse by the fact I am being offered nice odds to call again sometimes we just do stupid things! Damo