Betting on your own side?

I'm interested to see people's opinion on this. I'd guess there would be 2 sets of opinion: 1) Never bet on your own side, when there's allready emotional interest involved you should stay clear financially. 2) You watch your own side week in week out, therefore you know them better than any other side so are best placed to beat the bookies who probably don't know as much about them as you do. Football wise I tend to stick with option 1 mainly as I support Swansea City, a League 1 side, so the markets available are not extensive (and besides we're quite inconsistant anyway). However, with rugby I bet on most Ospreys and Wales matches. I won every single bet on the Ospreys in this year's Heineken Cup (6/6) and won most of my Celtic League bets. With Wales I am about 50/50 but got 2/2 on the recent Australia tour. I don't know whether because Ospreys are a top team it makes it easier. Firstly because they are on TV alot so I can see all of their game snot just ones I go to, or because they won alot more than they lost this year meaning I was more comfortable beting on them to win. the handicapping system of betting also helps in rugby as there is plenty of scope for me to lose my bet but Ospreys still getting the win (as they often start 10+ pts favourites) thus making me feel not so bad. This brings me onto what could be called group 3 - consolation betting ie deliberately betting smallish amounts against your own side so you'll feel less dejected if they lose. I have to admit to doing this a few times this season in both sports. So I'm wondering, what are everyone else's views on this? From my own experiences it would seem it is easier to bet on matches involving your own side if your own side is successful and start as favourites. Does anyone find any different?

Re: Betting on your own side? i have an unwritten rule about not betting ON the city (Cardiff ;)), which i very infrequently ignore. by betting against the city, at least if we lose, i have a consolation prize! it does become difficult when emotions get in the way, but if you are able to handle them, then you can make it pay for you. 2 things that spring to mind; 1) to keep a seperate record of your bets upon/against your own team, because of the nature of these bets, they have to be seen as different to your other/normal bets 2) despite the best knowledge about your own team, you cannot fully get that knowledge about the opposition and this must be remembered.

I Football wise I tend to stick with option 1 mainly as I support Swansea City,
the one part of your post that let you down :sad ;)

Re: Betting on your own side?

by betting against the city, at least if we lose, i have a consolation prize!
should do that every week mate, you'd be minted :lol ;) So you're basically in 'group 3' then and I can't blame you it does cheer you up (after a couple of hours). I'll try and keep a record of my bets on my own side next year. i think this year Ospreys were simply underated in Europe and I backed them on the handicap 5 times which all won and opposed once as they had to cover -30 and it was bucketing it down with rain and they won 26-9. I wonder if next year we might be overated because despite a good win-loss ratio we rarely rack up the big scores necessary to beat the handicap on a regular basis.

should do that every week mate' date=' you'd be minted :lol ;) [/quote'] i wont lower the tone and ask which divisions we're both in and which is higher - i simply just won do that! ;) i think the important aspect here, is that you've identified the possibilty of an edge/value and its paid off - this doesnt simply come from following your side, but also a knowledge of the betting world, the sports involved and other external factors :clap i wouldnt be surprised to see that people tend to be quite polar here with regards to success as it can be an area where you are either very astute or emotion/fun-driven (which leads to losses)

Re: Betting on your own side? cough£30milliondebtcough oops sorry about that! I actually think the bookies were slow to cotton on to 'The Hook factor' and the fact we had a genuine superstar who could win us games we were previously losing in our side. When something like this happens ie a youngster emerges who you've seen play and know is something special and will instantly impact your team I think you can simply benefit from knowing your side. Bookies might be working out odds based on previous meeting and previous form which can all amount to very little if something has significantly improved your side. Welshman - defo avoid that treble, infact avoid most trebles! You're going to have to tell us, are you east or are you west?

2. never do a swansea' date=' cardiff, wrexham treble, cos halleys comet, comes around more often.;)[/quote'] out of all the advice on here, this has to be one of the soundest - the day i can lay this treble on betfair multiples, the day i start to make my millions! :lol

cough£30milliondebtcough oops sorry about that!
nasty cough there mate - you should get something for that coughbettertohavedebtandambitionthanhopelessnessandsqualorasafuturecough :ok :lol
I actually think the bookies were slow to cotton on to 'The Hook factor' and the fact we had a genuine superstar who could win us games we were previously losing in our side. When something like this happens ie a youngster emerges who you've seen play and know is something special and will instantly impact your team I think you can simply benefit from knowing your side.
i would imagine that the next step is to wait for the bookies to over compensate and then you have an edge to lay :ok wonder what people outside of wales think about this topic? :lol:lol

Re: Betting on your own side? hopelessness and squalor????? I can take it you don't go to many games at Ninian!! ;)

i would imagine that the next step is to wait for the bookies to over compensate and then you have an edge to lay
:hope that's where the handicap system is good, as I say despite winning the league we actually only got the 4 try bonus 3or4 times last season meaning we would struggle to overhaul large caps. of course this may all change next season if Lyn Jones goes. But as you say let's hear something from outside of Wales on this one! :lol

Re: Betting on your own side? I definitely fall into group three. As a Man City fan it's been fairly profitable laying us, especially odds-on at home. Under 2.5 goals has been a pretty good moneyspinner these past couple of years. I fear we might not be so tight at the back next season without Distin mind. I also have to confess betting on United quite a bit. If they lose I'm happy. If they win I'm in the money. sport_016.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Betting on your own side? As a preston fan I've noticed these weird rules which always seems to come off season after season. Eg. Patrick Agyemang always scores against West Brom, Norwich or Stoke, we nearly always draw with Leicester home or away, games with Sunderland are nearly always high scoring games, we always get battered by Watford or Reading home or away, Ian Holloways teams always get beat at Deepdale, etc. It sounds daft but it can be profitable!!! Also last season I bet aginst my team a lot towards the end because I could see the rot setting in, we'd lost all our midfield and the manager was picking the wrong players week in week out plus we'd gone sloppy and tired at the back. We lost 5 on the trot and I had backed the other team each game. As a season ticket holder you see these things creeping in and may as well make financial gain from it.

As a preston fan I've noticed these weird rules which always seems to come off season after season. Eg. Patrick Agyemang always scores against West Brom, Norwich or Stoke, we nearly always draw with Leicester home or away, games with Sunderland are nearly always high scoring games, we always get battered by Watford or Reading home or away, Ian Holloways teams always get beat at Deepdale, etc. It sounds daft but it can be profitable!!! Also last season I bet aginst my team a lot towards the end because I could see the rot setting in, we'd lost all our midfield and the manager was picking the wrong players week in week out plus we'd gone sloppy and tired at the back. We lost 5 on the trot and I had backed the other team each game. As a season ticket holder you see these things creeping in and may as well make financial gain from it.
yeah that's a bit like Swansea never ever winning in Yorkshire. Well done for letting realism overule hope as your promotion slipped away!

Re: Betting on your own side? Well, most definetly in-play betting is a stupid idea when it comes to betting on your own side. ESPECIALLY when it comes to important games. Resist the temptation. You simply can not have the right judgement of what's going on. I lost a lot of money once, never again. Maybe that's just my case because I get very emotional when my team's playing, but why risk?

yeah that's a bit like Swansea never ever winning in Yorkshire. Well done for letting realism overule hope as your promotion slipped away!
Yeah well I just had to take it, we had all the luck in the world, results went our way EVERY week for the last 6 games of the season. I think we lost 4 on the trot and we're still 4th! It was a bloody pathetic so I may as well of profited from Paul SImpsons ineptitude. We deserved nothing. Just as a bit of a punt we should start a thread on it next season, daft little rules of football betting that always seem to occur every season come rain or shine.

Just as a bit of a punt we should start a thread on it next season, daft little rules of football betting that always seem to occur every season come rain or shine.
You're right, I'm sure every club has one. Was it Newcastle who couldn't win in London for years and got Uri Geller in to try and lift the curse? :rollin

Re: Betting on your own side? I firmly believe that you should bet on your own side more than any other, unless you're so blinkered that you only ever back them to win. I'm sure we have all seen countless examples of bookies pricing teams up wrongly because they lacked local knowledge. I once read a Racing Post tipster - I think it was Steve Davis - tip Cardiff because Gareth Whalley, our 'star man', was back from injury. Of course, Whalley was a complete nonentity who barely justified his place in the side. Having said that, I believe Cardiff over the last six months have become one of those 'unpredictable' teams, like Southampton, that you should never go near. But arguably that in itself is local knowledge. There are lots of punters on here whose tips I really value. Kevshat usually has great info on Luton. Some others on here I think are a bit biased towards their own sides - mentioning no names, Mr Bowles ;-)