** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Golf - Celtic Manor Wales Open

SportGolf
EventCeltic Manor Wales Open
SelectionFredrik Andersson Hed (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date31/05/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfred @ 67.00 (Back)
ReasoningThis week is a par 69. Last year Robert Karlsson ran away with the tournament by hitting some record breaking scoring. The rough is easy here and the most important things are a big drive, GIR and a hot putter. Andersson Hed has been having a breakthrough year on the European Tour. Having missed 3 out of the first 5 cuts of the year, he has made his last 9 including four top 6 finishes and two other top 25s (including last weeks BMW Championship). Adding to this, he hits the ball well over 285yds on average, is hitting 69% of GIR and has a putting average of 1.75 - 11th best on tour. Adding to this, last time he played here in 2005, he finished T24 and at that point he was playing some pretty poor golf having made 5 cuts and missed 10 cuts in the season so far. He looks a much improved player this year, he's playing with confidence and his game should suit this course. GL
SportGolf
SelectionJyoti Randhawa (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date31/05/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfred @ 51.00 (Back)
ReasoningRandhawa is a very good player and he is starting to find his feet on the European Tour. He played this course last year for the first time and finished T14 showing me that he feels comfortable on this format. He hits the ball a long way (about 290yds ave.), has a very good GIR rating of over 70% and also has a good putter with an average of just over 1.75 (16th on tour). Last year his T14 was coming off 2MCs and 2 results in the 50s. This year he is coming in on the back of 5 made cuts including 2 top 10s and a T21. He is playing well and with a course that he clearly likes, he could fare well and better his 2nd place in Spain. GL
SportGolf
SelectionWade Ormsby (Each-Way)
Strength1/10
Date31/05/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 201.00 (Back)
ReasoningWade Ormsby (who?!) has been having a poor year, but looking at his course form and putting stats - at 200/1 I'm willing to have a small punt on him. This year he has made a few cuts and missed a few more than he's made. He made a cut two times out ago and looked in OK form finishing on 3 under par T50. Last year he finished T25 at this tournament and after 3 rounds he was T14 with 68-67-65. However, even more impressively, 2 years ago he finished T8 in this tournament with 67-68-70-65 in his four rounds. He has has never been a top player but he is in the top 10 on tour for his putting and his course form has to be taken into account. At this price he is worth having a nibble. GL

Re: Golf - Celtic Manor Wales Open I think the boy hansen at wentworth more than anything else played the conditions better, but goosen must fancy his chances here in a pretty weak field @ 11.00 As stated in another thread my local bookie offers top 6 e/w for golf tournaments and matches anyones prices - Monty isnt in the greatest form of his life but more than capable of a top 6 finish at 7/1 ( 28/1 to win it outright ) in this company.

Re: Golf - Celtic Manor Wales Open that is true hornet, I backed him for the masters and got a very good run for my cash at an outstanding price, but then like last week he can look ordinary. If he plays as he can, he should cake-walk this and the price is nice, but my only thing with goosen as opposed to seasoned euro-tour players is that goosen is likely a multi-millionaire, and if he starts poorly then he has no real reason to dig in and find that extra bit whereas tour players are playing for their cards etc.. and finishing a couple of places extra can make that extra 10 - 20 grand that these guys rely on for earnings.

Re: Golf - Celtic Manor Wales Open Two tips for me. Richard Sterne at 26/1 Playing great golf at the moment. 3rd last weekend, as well as a 5th, 5th and 2nd in his last 5 outings. Simon Dyson at 34/1. Great form around this course and will win sooner rather than later.

Re: Golf - Celtic Manor Wales Open Bradley Dredge e/w @ 20-1 Dredge played some wonderful golf in Ireland two weeks ago and was unlucky to lose out to Harrington in a play off, although he didn't perform at Wentworth last week I'm sure that's because he'd have had at least one eye on his home open this week. It's not a particularly strong field this week and Dredge is a proven winner and has good course form after finishing 7th last year. Richard Sterne e/w @ 25-1 Sterne's form is there for all to see with a consistent run of top ten finishes, I do have a few doubts about his ability to handle the pressure and close out a tournament but I'm hoping that he can finally do it this week, a place win would cover the other bets anyway. Mikko Ilonen e/w @ 100-1 Ilonen is a streak player, either excellent or completely awful with little in between. I'm taking a punt on him as he's done well on some of the shorter courses this year at the Malaysian Open (7th) and in Indonesia (1st) so Celtic Manor could suit him. He showed a bit of form last week with T12 at the PGA and could, just maybe, be about to hit one of his purple patches.

Re: Golf - Celtic Manor Wales Open

Two tips for me. Richard Sterne at 26/1 Playing great golf at the moment. 3rd last weekend, as well as a 5th, 5th and 2nd in his last 5 outings. Simon Dyson at 34/1. Great form around this course and will win sooner rather than later.
Dont you just love collecting £260 off Mr Coral!

Bradley Dredge e/w @ 20-1 Dredge played some wonderful golf in Ireland two weeks ago and was unlucky to lose out to Harrington in a play off, although he didn't perform at Wentworth last week I'm sure that's because he'd have had at least one eye on his home open this week. It's not a particularly strong field this week and Dredge is a proven winner and has good course form after finishing 7th last year. Richard Sterne e/w @ 25-1 Sterne's form is there for all to see with a consistent run of top ten finishes, I do have a few doubts about his ability to handle the pressure and close out a tournament but I'm hoping that he can finally do it this week, a place win would cover the other bets anyway. Mikko Ilonen e/w @ 100-1 Ilonen is a streak player, either excellent or completely awful with little in between. I'm taking a punt on him as he's done well on some of the shorter courses this year at the Malaysian Open (7th) and in Indonesia (1st) so Celtic Manor could suit him. He showed a bit of form last week with T12 at the PGA and could, just maybe, be about to hit one of his purple patches.
great stuff Dougal, 1st and 2nd!!

Bradley Dredge e/w @ 20-1 Dredge played some wonderful golf in Ireland two weeks ago and was unlucky to lose out to Harrington in a play off, although he didn't perform at Wentworth last week I'm sure that's because he'd have had at least one eye on his home open this week. It's not a particularly strong field this week and Dredge is a proven winner and has good course form after finishing 7th last year. Richard Sterne e/w @ 25-1 Sterne's form is there for all to see with a consistent run of top ten finishes, I do have a few doubts about his ability to handle the pressure and close out a tournament but I'm hoping that he can finally do it this week, a place win would cover the other bets anyway. Mikko Ilonen e/w @ 100-1 Ilonen is a streak player, either excellent or completely awful with little in between. I'm taking a punt on him as he's done well on some of the shorter courses this year at the Malaysian Open (7th) and in Indonesia (1st) so Celtic Manor could suit him. He showed a bit of form last week with T12 at the PGA and could, just maybe, be about to hit one of his purple patches.
good shootin' dougal - nice spots :ok

good shootin' dougal - nice spots :ok
Cheers, it was certainly a good weekend for both Richardmcfc and myself thanks to Sterne. A nice 2nd for Dredge and Ilonen just one shot off placing in T6 made it as good a tournament as I could have hoped for, now on to Austria!