Odds and Outs Calculations for Stud Games

voiceofjoe

Does anyone know of a formula similar to the rule of 4 and Rule of 2 in Hold'em that I could use as a Rough Guide to calculating my Odds of Hitting a hand in 7 Card Stud.- (although the principle would apply to most stud variants i imagine) By the Hole Em Rule of 4 and 2 I refer to multiplying my Outs by 4 after the flop to give an estimation of a % of Successfully hitting a winning hand, and after the turn I'm multiplying my outs by 2 to give and estiamted percentage. Points to bear in mind would be that the Tables are 8 Seaters - but the number of unseen cards differs on each deal, as opposed to HoldEm, and I would like to know the percentange of hitting my outs on 5th/6th/7th streets. There may well be some site out there that gives the imnformation but I cant find it. Also the simpler the rule the better - i'm not needing an exact chance just a good estimate

Re: Odds and Outs Calculations for Stud Games This is a (very!) rough example... Say it's a 7 handed game, 3 guys fold straight away, 1 folds on 4th, 1 on 5th, leaving 2 of you in. This means you'll have seen 16 cards by this point, including your own, so you'll have 36 left to see. If there's 2 to help you (obviously assuming you'd have noticed if either of them had already been out!), you have a 2 in 36 chance of hitting them on 6th, and a 2 in 36 chance on 7th, making it a 1 in 9 chance overall. If that's fairly typical (and I don't play stud anywhere near enough to be sure!), there's an argument that you may be better off looking at it as 5 x and 2.5 x the number of outs, and then increasing slightly if there's been lots of cards seen, and decreasing slightly if there've been very few. In summary, what I meant to say was... "Slappy - HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!"

Re: Odds and Outs Calculations for Stud Games How long have I spent looking for this? Bloody hours. :$ The only thing I've found is this, so far; http://www.studstrategy.com/StrategyNotes.htm#Odds

The table below shows odds for flushes and straights. You can determine your odds based on the number of persons in a multi-way pot. For example, if you have one card to draw to a flush, your best odds to catch your flush is to have 4-5 people calling bets. Straights happen most often at stud hi/low tables because there are so many people in the hand at a time, more closely matching the odds needed to catch that particular hand. Draw one card with Odds Four cards to a flush 1 in 4.5 Double open-ended straight 1 in 5 Open-ended straight (1 end) 1 in 11 Inside Straight 1 in 11 Double open-ended straight flush 1 in 23 Open-ended straight flush (1 end) 1 in 46 Inside Straight Flush 1 in 46 Rolled up with 3-of-a-kind 40% chance of improvement to a full house by the river.

Re: Odds and Outs Calculations for Stud Games

This is a (very!) rough example... Say it's a 7 handed game, 3 guys fold straight away, 1 folds on 4th, 1 on 5th, leaving 2 of you in. This means you'll have seen 16 cards by this point, including your own, so you'll have 36 left to see. If there's 2 to help you (obviously assuming you'd have noticed if either of them had already been out!), you have a 2 in 36 chance of hitting them on 6th, and a 2 in 36 chance on 7th, making it a 1 in 9 chance overall. If that's fairly typical (and I don't play stud anywhere near enough to be sure!), there's an argument that you may be better off looking at it as 5 x and 2.5 x the number of outs, and then increasing slightly if there's been lots of cards seen, and decreasing slightly if there've been very few. In summary, what I meant to say was... "Slappy - HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!"
Looks about right to me. If (including your own cards) you've seen about 12 cards, then use a figure of 2.5% instead of 2% (i.e., chance of hitting an out is about 2.5% x number of outs x number of streets left). If you've seen about 19 cards, use a figure of 3%.