UK is Eurovision relegation fodder

Uk right near the bottom in the Eurovision song contest. :spank I actually watched this event. Why on earth anyone saw anything at all in the UK nomination is beyond me. A ditty to the glories (pain?), of the airline service industry, with a wee bit of innuendo thrown in. It was, IMO, embarrassing. Maybe we should try a "muppet" oriented entry next year. I'm sure it would have much broader appeal. Or get the gay community to write a ditty (and I don't intend this contrast to be offensive, just it would have to be better than the feeble entry of the UK this year). Or be really daring and have an all black, gay, funk or reggae band with a 4 ft singer and defy Europe to eliminate the UK. In the actual competition, any entry with a black person as a stage member, seemed to be excluded by the time the final came along. At least a couple of entries that could do well in a modern R&B chart were eliminated at the semi-final stage by the Eastern European block votes. Putting up a strong all black entry and maybe watching it bomb, would highlight racist/ethnically biased voting patterns. It doesn't seem to fair that nations with more neighbours get more votes, regardless of musical or novelty merits, or that troupes with black members receive votes according to their race rather than their talents. The UK placing seemed to reflect, aside from the fact that the song was utter **i**, and a complete embarrassment, that the UK is "Billy no mates" in Europe. Ireland gave the UK some points, as did Malta, though the UK did not really reciprocate. And that was about it from the UK point of view. I guess the no mates stuff comes partly from all the bombing campaigns our government endorse. Also being an island is a severe disadvantage when landlocked opponents vote so solidly for their other landlocked neighbours. Extrapolating wildly beyond the available evidence merits, I wince at the vulnerability of the UK economy, relying as it does on the service sector, when the best it can do in a service oriented competition, with a service oriented song, is to just avoid being last. At the moment we are a ****ing rabble, at least in Eurovision terms, but maybe more broadly (excluding of course PL members!). :tongue2 What a rant. Sorry about thatin advance - hope I have not offended anyone. :loon

Re: UK is Eurovision relegation fodder Bloody hell, I never knew of anyone who took Eurovision seriously in the UK. I doubt that us having another crap entry in a crap competition will do much to the economy though:ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.