Aintree - Sat 14th Feb

A cracking day in store and the sun will be shining. My quick selections with brief reasons (sorry dont have much time). 13:45 - Princelet (RPF 6/1) Decent weight, AP on board and solid form 14:15 - Fair Along (RPF 11/4) I strongly fancied Fair Along in the Arkle, excuse last time as out to soon imo. Great chase record end of last year. 14:50 - Detroit City (RPF 13/8) Class will prevail ! 15:25 - Jockser (RPF 25/1) Based on last years form - this is a massive price. 16:15 - Eurotrek (16/1), Longshanks (22/1), Royal Auclair (33/1) and Knowhere (80/1) Why not...!! Best of luck gang, Haitch :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb listen now, i clearly pointed out earlier in the season that you cannot back Asian Maze over 2m. This is why: 2m 4f Galway (Hvy) 1st 3m Cork (Sft) 1st 2m 4f Punch (Hvy) 1st 2m 4f Leops (Hvy) 2nd 2m 4f FairyH (Sft) 1st 3m 1f Aintree (Gd)1st 2m 4f Punch (sft) 1st 2m 4f Aintree (GS)1st 3m Punch (Gd)1st 2m 4f FairyH (hvy) 4th thats 8 wins from 10 when trying 2m 4f + Ok, it hasnt shown any form this year, but hasnt been over the distance apart from a 12L defeat by Brave Inca on heavy ground. Its a spring horse in my eyes with a record of 5 runs 4 wins & a 2nd in April, that'll do for me.

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb I remember you saying that Bowles, she has an excellent record over .. 1.45 Forthright e/w Has a nice low weight to carry under Wayne Hutchinson, won a nice little handicap lto and a couple of winners and placed horses have come out of that. It's a competitive race but at around 14/1 has a nice e/w chance. 2.15 Twist Magic An important thing about this race is that the younger horses all receive weight from the holder horse, Fair Along & Jack the Giant were 2nd and 3rd in the Arkle and look to be the main challengers but Twist Magic should bounce back from his fall in the Arkle to land this for Paul Nicholls who has won this race 3 times all with 5 year olds. Was going ever so well until he fell 2 out. Sharper track will suit even more. 2.50 Asian Maze (nap) No doubt if Detroit city is back to himself he should take plenty of beating but last years winner Asian Maze won this so well last year she beat Hardy Eustace by nearly 20 lengths. Hasn't been her self this season but stable reckon is she ready and back to her best over this trip plus receives weight of the males a quick double on the cards for Ruby hoping. Gaspara has been winning well from the front but needs to improve even further to step up to this grade. 4.15 Point Barrow see national thread Maybe more tomorrow..

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb 325 Aintree : Macs Federal Been following this horse lately and ran an absolute cracker at the festival behind Witchita Lineman on his first try at 3m. Been put up in the ratings for that but at only 5 he's improving fast and this ground and track will suit it down to the ground. The race has many exposed sorts and this one could come late and deliver the goods.

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb Just noticed that my tip for Cheltenham is back out tomorrow, and should be a decent price. For those who didnt know I was given 2 horses at Chelt to follow the first tip came 2nd @ 14/1 and has won since when Mon Micheal was 2nd ( I fooking missed it:sad) but the 2nd 1 is out again after blowing up at Cheltenham so Ill have a word with my mate and see what connections think.

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb

1.45 - FORTHRIGHT

Travelled strongly throughout and showed a good turn of foot to win a competitive handicap at Musselburgh LTO, despite blundering at the last. Open to further progress and may well defy a rise in the ratings.

2.15 - JACK THE GIANT

Ran well when 3rd in the Arkle but he should be more suited by todays ground and trip.

2.50 - JAZZ MESSENGER E/W

Lightly raced and a solid E/W judged on its Boxing Day win at Kempton. Should appreciate the better ground as this looks pretty wide open. 5.35 - AUX LE BAHNN Impressive on both his last 2 outings and although he's up in class he can realistically take this.

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb 2.50 Aintree - Detroit City Continuing to back the Cheltenham flops. But Detroit City is a class act and everyone knew that something was wrong with the stable during the festival. Should be back to his best and represents a decent value. The old guard Hardy Eusatce and Brave Inca is not here so not that much of a competition and Detroit can dominate like he used to do in his 7 consecutive wins. Early 2.9 at Betfair. 3.25 Aintree - Fastaffaran Looking for first win after seven hurdle races. The 3m will site him. Was 2nd behind Chief Dan George at Wetherby, who beat the impressive Wichita Lineman yesterday. Tongue tied and a handicap debut. Will be tough for the horse, but a massive price and worth a nibble. 20/1 currently 4.15 Aintree - Knowhere Sneaked between two of the greatest chasers in December. Was carrying 10-11 that day. Exotic Dancer won by one length. Knowhere was 2nd and Taranis 3rd. Since then up in the weigths and struggled. Back to 10-13 lbs today, which is great for the horse, only if his form is good though. Something I'm not quite sure about, but can't miss the massive price. 150/1 for 4 places or 100/1 for 5 places

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb 2.15 On paper a very good race and the winner could well go onto take a future Champion Chase. Fair Along I believe may change tactics today back to front running which I believe may suit but Dont Push It gave Denman a great race earlier this season and for me I like the pair of them. 2.50 I am inclined to give Detroit City another chance. I believe the step up in trip will help and I am not sure that Asian Maze quite is the horse of past seasons as I believe it has been messed around a bit by trying to make her a two miler when I am convinced it is not. 3.25 Overstrand e.w I think considering what it has done this season it is a big price despite some negative factors such as weight as maybe the trip. 4.15. I have many from the last few months but today the ones I like now are: Bewleys Berry, Eurotrek, Mckelvey, Knowhere as already highlighted is worth a punt at the price and finally Hedgehunter e.w. Not ideal preparation but this is a classy horse who loves it here, ground has come good and despite weight for me looks a good e.w chance if not finding one too good on the day. 5.00 Chief Yeoman. Good hurdle form and some nice runs so far over fences at and when it fell at Cheltenham was looking to be going well. 5.35. A bit speculative but Lodge Lane ran superbly at Cheltenham to be as relatively close to the leaders as he did considering how much further it travelled and may be worth a chance today.

SportHorse Racing
Event1.45 Aintree
SelectionForthright (Each-Way)
Strength5/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/PriceSportingodds @ 8.00 (Back)
ReasoningBack when it was on flat Clive Brittain had high expectations for the horse but it never reached top class. Over last 10 years winners have carried between 10-0 and 10-8 and are usually 5 or 6 years old. Forthright carries light weight of 10-4 near the bottom of the handicap, has won on the ground several times, placed at the course and won last time out. It reacted well when asked to quicken away and win and some of the others have yet to prove they have that winning attitude. I can see this winning but will take it each way at the price available.
SportHorse Racing
Event1.45 Aintree
SelectionDiego Cao (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 26.00 (Back)
Reasoning7th in Triumph Hurdle (Grade 1) in 2005 and decent juvenile form. Has had its problems since but has previous form on good ground, still open to improvement after long lay off, distance winner and 2nd last time out behind Festive Chimes when getting hampered by falling horses and could have won that day with a clearer run. Could be back to its best and worth ew bet at 25-1.
SportHorse Racing
Event2.15 Aintree
SelectionJack The Giant (Each-Way)
Strength5/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 9.00 (Back)
ReasoningOpposing Twist Magic as it has had a tendency to weaken previously and Jack The Giant has already beaten it. Has put in some cracking runs on both good and good to firm. Has finished 2nd at Aintree, 3 wins over this distance, and has won at Class 1 level. I can see this winning or being involved at the finish so 8-1 gives worthy ew value. Jack The Giant has shown battling qualities and won't give up the lead easily if he gets to the front close home.
SportHorse Racing
Event2.50 Aintree
SelectionAsian Maze (Each-Way)
Strength10/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Pricetotesport @ 5.00 (Back)
ReasoningObvious question marks about Detroit City and that is way too short up against Asian Maze who has all the statistics to suggest it can win today. Won this last year when slamming Hardy Eustace by 17 lengths and that horse is no mug. 2 runs at Aintree - 2 wins, has looked out of sorts this season but many runs have been over inadequate trips that were too short and on soft or heavy ground. Out of 8 races over this trip it has won 5 and being 2nd in 2 others. It has 2 wins and 2 seconds on good ground and when it has run in April it has 4 wins and a 2nd to its credit. I'm hoping the cream of the crop rises to the top as this horse is a genuine Group 1 performer, loves this type of trip and should be backed with confidence to win today. Connections feel it is back to its best and can go close.
SportHorse Racing
Event3.25 Aintree
SelectionArctic Echo (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 34.00 (Back)
ReasoningGet on early because this price is way too big. It has had its form franked twice this week already. It was 3rd last time out on unsuitable heavy ground to Bedlam Boy which ran a cracker the other day. Before that it was 4th at Wetherby behind Chief Dan George which won yesterday and looked top class. It won well on good ground when staying on over a shorter distance and this trip should be ideal. This jockey gets on really well with the horse - 3 wins, a 2nd and 3 3rds. That price won't last if ew shrewdies get on.
SportHorse Racing
Event3.25 Aintree
SelectionLyes Green (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 13.00 (Back)
Reasoning2nd last time out to McKelvey (well fancied for Grand National) on good ground. Before that was 5th behind Taranis which won well later at Cheltenham. Has been 1st, 2nd and 3rd over 3 miles previously. Jockey has managed 2 wins, 2 2nds and a 3rd from the horse and it has a low weight at the right end of the handicap. Can pay a compliment to McKelvey by running well, sometimes looks a bit one paced towards end of its races but is worth some ew interest
SportHorse Racing
Event4.15 Aintree
SelectionIdle Talk (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/PriceExpekt @ 26.00 (Back)
ReasoningIts best form saw it finish 2nd in a Grade 1 at Cheltenham behind Star De Mohaison and after that it finshed 4th in the Scottish Grand National. A lot has been made of its jumping ability but last time out it was the jockey that slipped from the saddle rather than the horse falling so you can't blame the horse entirely. Has a definite chance in a Grade 3 despite its weight and usually races up with the pace which should see it avoid fallers early on. If its still on its feet near the end it has a great chance and worth an ew bet in my opinion. Has won on good ground before.
SportHorse Racing
Event4.15 Aintree
SelectionLongshanks (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/PriceSkybet @ 26.00 (Back)
ReasoningSome question marks about its stamina but has won over 3 miles. Still finds itself relatively unexposed due to lots of time off track with injuries and has won on good ground. Placed previously at Aintree and previous form (2003-04) was pretty decent. Has a nice weight to carry and has a jockey on board that has been there, done it and won the national before.
SportHorse Racing
Event4.15 Aintree
SelectionMcKelvey (Each-Way)
Strength3/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfred @ 17.00 (Back)
ReasoningHas a great chance today off a low weight near the bottom of the handicap. Looks a great stayer and has won over 4m+ on good to firm ground so if it dries any more it won't worry this horse. Beat Lyes Green in a hurdle race last time out and that could compliment form in the 3.25 race. 2 1sts and 2 2nds on good ground and has the benefit of a recent run, which it won as stated. Trainer had winner yesterday here with Dunbrody Miller over the big fences and this can go very close at a decent ew price.
SportHorse Racing
Event4.15 Aintree
SelectionKanjar D'Allier (Each-Way)
Strength1/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/PriceExpekt @ 151.00 (Back)
ReasoningShouldn't be good enough to take this but what an end to the season it would be for King/Thornton. Has won over 3 miles and in handicaps but has a lot more weight today in a better class of race. May prefer more cut but has won on good ground and who can write off Kings horses when you can get a few quid ew on at 150-1. Plenty of question marks about it that reflects the price but if your looking for an outsider this could be it.
SportHorse Racing
Event5.00 Aintree
SelectionL'Antartique
Strength5/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/PriceVC Bet @ 5.50 (Back)
ReasoningHard to ignore Ferdy Murphys horses at the moment with them in such good form since Cheltenham. Held on well at Cheltenham, just getting the better of Bob hall over 2m5f. 9lb higher but improving and has won on good ground. In the last 9 years the heaviest weight carried to victory in this was 11-9 (Spring Margot in 2002), L'Antartique goes off 11-12 with a 3lb claimer on board and is up against it. The question is how much improvement it is capable of.
SportHorse Racing
Event5.00 Aintree
SelectionKings Brook (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Pricetotesport @ 21.00 (Back)
ReasoningPoor run last time out that may have been due to handicap mark or ground being too firm. Before that run it had 3 victories, including 2 at class 2 level and has won on good ground but only ever placed on good to firm. Won really easily at Market Rasen off a rating of 125 and is only 6lb higher today off 131. If you can forgive it the 1 poor run you can see that 20-1 looks like a very big price worthy of ew support.
SportHorse Racing
Event5.35 Aintree
SelectionHarry Wood (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 17.00 (Back)
ReasoningOne of mine to follow and has won both its races well so far, but on softer ground than this. Was asked to go on last time out and responded well, battling on to win by 9 lengths but that was in a class 6 race. Very different quality of opposition today and might not be good enough but at 16-1 I'll take the risk and back it ew to find out. Trainer does well at these meetings and so did his father previously.

SportHorse Racing
Event325 Aintree
SelectionLyes Green (Each-Way)
Strength3/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 13.00 (Back)
ReasoningThis was one of my fancies at Cheltenham but unfortunately he was pulled out. Last time out, he was just beaten by the smart McKelvey who is one of the market leaders for the National today Prior to thatm he was beaten only 4 ½ lengths into 5th behind: Taranis: a high class hurdler and chaser who is current favourite for the Ryanair Chase. Whispered Secret: conqueror of the very useful and William Hill chase hopeful New Alco. Verasi: who finished 5th/30 in last years Coral Cup and Kasbah Bliss: conqueror of Blazing Bailey last year (strong form) and an each way possibility for the World Hurdle. Lyes Green has been lowered 2lb’s in the ratings for that effort, despite the form looking strong to me. Its interesting to note that he was only beaten 1 ¼ lengths by Denman on his British debut! Slightly flattering perhaps but eyecatching nonetheless.
SportHorse Racing
Event250 Aintree
SelectionAsian maze (Each-Way)
Strength5/10
Date14/04/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 5.00 (Back)
ReasoningI've had a bit of success backing horses that have either performed well at certain times of year or in particular races. Asian maze won this very impressively last season and after a couple of disappointing efforts this time round, returns to defend his crown stepped up in distance and with ground conditions ideal. No excuses for this one now and should go close.
In the National, i fancy, Mckelvey, bewleys berry and Joes Edge. Zabenz is the best outsider - reasoning in the national threads ;)

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb Once agan ..

• Aintree 13:45
  • Selection: Forthright
  • Event: Aintree 14:15
  • Selection: Don't Push It

• Event: Aintree 14:50
  • Selection:Detroit City
  • Event: Aintree 15:25
  • Selection: Oscatello

• Event: Aintree 16:15
  • Selection: Point Barrow
  • Event: Aintree 17:00
  • Selection: Bob Hall

Re: Aintree - Sat 14th Feb 1.45 Buster Hyvonen 2.15 Fair Along / Twist magic 2.50 Asian Maze / Kawagino 4.15 Point Barrow 5.00 L'Antartique 5.35 Procas De Thaix my placepot singles on Buster Hyvonen & Asian Maze National bets on Monkerhostin, Point Barrow, Dun Doire.

1.45 Buster Hyvonen 2.15 Fair Along / Twist magic 2.50 Asian Maze / Kawagino 3.25 Oscatello 4.15 Point Barrow 5.00 L'Antartique my placepot singles on Buster Hyvonen & Asian Maze National bets on Monkerhostin, Point Barrow, Dun Doire.
sorry amended, i missed a race out!!!

Sorry guys for lack of reasoning today, just back off holiday. Here's mine for today:- 1.45 KINGS QUAY (EW) 2.50 STRANGELY BROWN (EW) 3.25 OVERSTRAND (EW) 4.15 DUN DOIRE (EW), saver on POINT BARROW
Whooooossssssshhhhhh.......16/1 winner:nana :cow :nana :cow

JP/PP 1,B.H 2,Jack the giant 3,Asain Maze 4,Gidam Gidam 5,Mckelvey 6,L'Antartique
When I saw this I thought you had a really good chance today. Fancied 2,3,5,6 out of that lot. Asian Maze was bollox, can't believe it faded so badly when it's won over 3 miles. I thought Ruby was giving it the perfect ride, making it a test of stamina. Never mind mate, tomorrows another day, more winners to be found. :ok