PL Recommended Poker Books

Beejayville

Being relatively new to this addictive game called Texas Holdem I was wondering if some of you experienced players out there could advise of some good poker books to read. My research on the net has lead me to belive that Harrington Holdem 1 and 2 and Phil Gordon's Little Green and Blue books appear to be the best. I have been reading Phil's Little Green Book thanx to Heniek and find it a very good read and it has improved my Poker playing no end. The place where I live has a Poker League where they play every day except Saturday..Simply turn up and register, costs nothing and you get points for finishing position...Start with 1000 chips. Played twice now...First time i finished 10th from 48 and went out on a full house...I got dealt 22 and three 7's came up on the flop...I probably should have went all in then as everyone folded except the lady to my right..and she called, but I bet and the Turn card was a 7...To cut a long story short, I kept betting thinking I had a Full House and couldn't be beat, when in fact the best cards were 4 of a kind four sevens...The lady to my right didnt bet cos it was my first time she went easy on me and kept calling as she had Ace 6, so 4 of a kind and top kicker...I had around 15000 chips at that stage and lost 10,000 on that hand...Lost to her next hand too with Queen/four pair when she had Queen/nines...Went all in next hand heads up with a guy who had been bluffing a bit...I had K8 and he had A6...Ace came up on River and I was out....I had plenty of chips and could have just folded those 3 hands to get to the final table...Had a rush of blood and lost 15000 chips in 3 hands...Good lesson to learn with play money :) Second time I finished 15th from 60 or so when I got J4 preflop and I went all in on JJJ44 which i got on the Turn card...Guy to my right called and had J10...So he had the three Jacks too and the River card was a 10, so out I went. So thought not knowing the rules properly cost me the first time I went, and slightly unlucky to lose with a Full House the 2nd time...Hopefully I can learn from my mistakes and go a few better next time...My immediate goal is to win one of these local tournaments, cos it costs nothing and the players are fairly handy, so i will have to play good poker to win one. Sorry for going off track...Now those best books to read??? :dude

Re: PL Recommended Poker Books based on what you've said here i'd say that holdem for advanced players by david sklansky would be a good one to get as well as it has an excellent guide for starting hand values, and ties in very well with what you will learn from harrington, however remember that its based on LIMIT holdem, so learn what you can, but dont pay much attention to the betting sections :)

Re: PL Recommended Poker Books Harrington on Hold'em is the absolute dog's bollox when it comes to tournament play. I have read all 3 volumes several times, and I still feel I improve my game by referring back to it sometimes. For cash games, Super System 2 is well worth reading, as is Lee Jones's book for low-limit.

Guest gazza271

Re: PL Recommended Poker Books After a very pissed conversation yesterday with rosco :beer :beer :beer :beer I have just ordered both these from amazon........

book_display_on_website-blue-icon.gif 1"Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em" Phil Gordon; Hardcover; £7.79 Sold by: Amazon.co.uk
book_display_on_website-blue-icon.gif 1"Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book: More Lessons and Hand Analysis in Texas Hold'em" Phil Gordon; Hardcover; £7.79