Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread 2 games today. 1st one is Australia vs Holland. 10pts Australia -8.5wickets/235.5runs 8/11 Bet365 This is a ridiculously large handicap for Australia to cover but Holland's bowlers are going to be very nervy after South Africa splattered them all around the West Indies on Friday. Holland's batsmen were no match for South Africa's bowling lineup in that game and I don't see it being any different today. Australia know that a win will see them safely into the next stage and I don't see them taking their foot off the pedal. Ricky Ponting showed he's in great touch in the Scotland game, a game Australia dominated, and I see a comfortable Aussie win here. Holland, whose main man is Ryan Ten Doeschate, will give their all but they should be heavily outclassed by Australia. 10pts Australia -49.5runs Highest 1st 15 Overs 5/6 Stan James Australia are such a synamic attacking side in the 1st 15 overs and they'll be on all out attack I would imagine. Holland's opening bowlers have already been round the park and won't enjoy the prospect of facing Gilchrist, Hayden and Ponting 1st up. Realistically Australia should be through 100 after 15 overs whilst Holland won't make too many more than 45 so the handicap looks safe with the Australians. 10pts M.Hayden's Performance Pts 46&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Matthew Hayden is in good touch with the bat. He recently clouted 181 in an innings in New Zealand and started off confidently against Scotland. He's more than good enough to nail 46 runs against a weak Holland attack and I expect him more than most of the Australian top order to knuckle down and bat time and get himself some time at the crease. To do that he'll need to take less risks which in turn help his chances of covering this spread. He's always likely to take a catch as well so I think this is a safe total for Hayden and we'll take the overs. 10pts Over 16.5 Wides 1.90 Expekt The associate sides can compete with batting and bowling but one thing that constantly lets them down is discipline with the ball. Yesterday, Pakistan made 132 however Ireland gifted them 29 in extras. Holland's attack will be under pressure here and nerves may play a part too and I can see them losing their line a few times. Despite the quality of their attack, Australia aren't the best when it comes to stopping wides either. They sent down 6 wides against Scotland in a leisurely stroll really so I can easily see this going over 16.5 particularly if Australia bat 1st. 4pts R.Ten Doeschate Top Holland Bat 4.35 Expekt Ryan Ten Doeschate is a quality cricketer, as shown by Essex's decision to regularly play him in their successful one day side and he's really a class above his colleagues in this tournament. A point he proved perfectly in Friday's loss to South Africa. He'll have faced a few of the Aussie attack in his county matches which will stand him in good stead and I'll take him to top score for his side again.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Game 2 sees England play Canada. 10pts Canada +7.5wickets/148.5runs Evs Bet365 England have to win this game in order to extend their stay in the Caribbean and I think they will but it wouldn't be England if there aren't a few scares along the way. As most of you will have read in the morning papers, a few players have broken team rules and been disciplined accordingly and sometimes that has a bad effect on team spirit. England were ordinary at best in their 1st game and although Canada are superiorly inferior opposition it is still a tough ask to cover such a big handicap, particularly when England's batting lineup fails to deliver more often than it impresses. I think England will win but Canada have the quality needed in both departments to stay in touch. 10pts Canada +34.5runs Highest 1st 15 Overs 10/11 Sporting Odds England have made it clear for a long time both in team selection and performances that they do not get after the bowling and attack in the powerplays. Very rarely do England go at a run a ball through the 1st 15 overs as their attacking players bat lower down the order. That means in order to cover this handicap I would expect Canada to need somewhere between 45-55 from the 1st 15 overs and they have enough technically good batsmen to get them those. I thought Canada bowled well up top on Wednesday and they can easily restrict England to a manageable total from 15 overs so I think Canada are the way forward in this market. 10pts A.Bagai's Performance Pts 33&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Ashish Bagai is a player I like the look of. He's done well in his career against the associate members and looked ok against Kenya the other day before wickets started tumbling and Canada got bogged down but he's a good batsman who can score these with the bat but wicket keepers have been getting a fair few catches in this tournament so far and any coming his way will boost the chances of covering this enormously. Players like Pietersen and Collingwood like to use their feet to the spinners so he could notch a stumping which would pretty much cover the total itself almost so I'm on the Canadian wicket keeper to cover this. 10pts P.Collingwood's Performance Pts 39&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Paul Collingwood usually does well against the lesser nations and he's in good form and should really cover this. The worst case scenario is Canada bat 1st and get skittled which I don't really see happening but the possibility is there, if that happens Colly needs to get 2 wickets from his 10 overs to cover for us which isn't unlikely but he should get a bat if England bat 1st and that's where the points should really come from. So whatever happens at the toss, Collingwood will have the chances to cover this total and I'm happy to take the Durham man with his performance. 10pts Over 20.5 Wides 1.90 Expekt Canada are probably the worst nation for bowling wides and that's why I'm so confident this bet will be a winner. They could well cover this total themselves if England bat 1st but we also have to remember England aren't very economical when it comes to restricting wides either so although the target does seem big it's not without reason but I still don't see it being big enough. Overs for me.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Not a good day on Sunday. The Australia match was a complete disaster. Monday's another day though and game 1 on Monday is India vs Bermuda. 10pts India -8.5wickets/202.5runs 5/6 Bet365 India come into this must win game having lost their opener pretty convingly to Bangladesh but they have a chance here to get their challenge back on track ahead of what could be a pivotal match with Sri Lanka. Bermuda will just be looking to perform well without a hope of winning. India may well tinker with their batting lineup but are expected to name the same personnel for this match. Sachin Tendulkar could be pushed up to open with Virender Sehwag dropping down the order a bit. Realistically, Bermuda won't challenge India and it's a great chance for India to boost their net run rate as that looks like being the deciding factor to who comes out of the group and who doesn't. Bermuda were heavily outclassed against Sri Lanka as they will be in their other 2 matches but in Dwayne Leverock and David Hemp they do have a couple of capable cricketers. Realistically an improvement from their last game will be an achievement for Bermuda. This looks to be the best batting pitch of the lot so far in the tournament and India can take full advantage of that by filling their boots here. I fully expect India to come out and dominate this match from start to finish and win it by a landslide margin. 10pts India -39.5runs Highest 1st 15 Overs 4/5 Sporting Odds Quite surprised this handicap is so small really as others have been larger. India have 4 strokemakers who go for their shots without fear in their top 4 and I expect them to make hay in the 1st 15 against Bermuda's indifferent bowling attack. When Bermuda come to bat they will lose wickets in the 1st 15 overs which will stifle their scoring rate plus they have to face Agarkar and Zaheer who are very good, economical ODI bowlers. With India's pool of batting talent this looks a handicap which they'll cover. 10pts S.Ganguly's Performance Pts 53&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Sourav Ganguly has a decent record against minnows and here is a match where he can make hay with the bat and the ball. If India bat 1st he can knock these off with the bat and if India bowl first then there's every chance he'll pick up a wicket or two and then knock the rest of the total off with the bat when India do bat. Ganguly's still class at this level and I expect him to cover this total. 10pts 8 6's or over 3/4 Sporting Odds Usually I'm reluctant to play this market when a strong side plays a minnow but I think we're pretty safe here whoever bats 1st. If Bermuda bat 1st they give it a go and look to hit big and will be good enough for a few 6's and if India bat 1st then they'll cover the total themselves. If the total 6's hit is 7 we get our stake back so I see this as a very good bet.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Game 2 sees West Indies play Zimbabwe. No bet on the match result for me. West Indies know a win sees them and Ireland through to the next stage barring a bizarre sequence of events. Zimbabwe know defeat pretty much puts them out. West Indies have beaten Zimbabwe comfortably in each of their 5 meetings and i don't see this being much different but the match prices and handicap prices are awful so it's an easy swerve really. So it's a side market attack for me. 10pts D.Bravo's Performance Pts 40&Over 8/11 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Dwayne Bravo is a consistent performer these days with both bat and ball and has got a pretty low total for him to cover. Batting at number 6 he'll get an opportunity to bat at some point in the match and it could well be early enough for him to knock a quick 40 but I think he can take the 2 wickets we need for this target to be achieved. However he does it, I'm confident 40pts will be reached. 10pts S.Matsikenyiri's Performance Pts 24&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Stuart Matsikenyiri had a good game against Ireland in the last match for Zimbabwe. His 73* almost guided Zimbabwe to victory in that game but what it will do is give Matsikenyiri the confidence and the belief that he can go well in this tournament. As well as being a fairly decent batsman he also bowls a bit and is a decent fielder and any help he gets in the field will only make the likelihood of him covering this total greater. 24 is a very low total and I'm confident it will get covered. 10pts B.Taylor to beat J.Chibhabha 11/10 Bet365 Brendan Taylor is a good batsman who I believe bats too low down the Zimbabwe order however he showed in the last game with ireland (where he comfortably beat Chibhabha) and in the ICC Champions Trophy that he's a good batsman. Chibhabha is regarded as one of Zimbabwe's better players but he hasn't really done it against the top nations. Taylor's a very competitve cricketer who I expect to outscore his team mate here. 10pts Under 17.5 wides 1.90 Expekt Both these sides are well disciplined with the ball. In the 1st matches (on this ground) Zimbabwe sent down 5 wides and West Indies 2. Although the West Indies haven't been the best when it comes to avoiding wides, the lack of left handers in the Zimbabwe lineup (they had only 2 on Thursday) should help to keep them straight and limit the wides. Both sides have also played on the pitch and that should help with familiarity and I think we'll see fewer than 17.5 wides. 3pts ew M.Samuels Top West Indies Bat 6/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Marlon Samuels is overpriced here. He top scored in the warm up match with Canada and then in the 1st group match with Pakistan so he's clearly in good form. That form comes off the back of a very successful series with India and Samuels has really come of age recently. He'll bat high enough up the order to get some runs and the very worst I see him doing in his current form is hitting a place here but there's every chance he can top score. Zimbabwe aren't the worst side around and they can take wickets so Samuels will bat and can top score again.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread

Good analyis Kevshat. India will be going absolutely all out here and might bring the most destructive batsman up the order. Dhoni. Keeper. Perf against Banglas 60. Runs 0. BUY Dhoni performance @ 40 at 2pts (spin)
Another great call there pie :ok nice one mate!

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Another frustrating day. Clean sweep in the India match and then 3 near misses in the other match :wall :wall . 2 matches on Tuesday. The 1st of which is South Africa vs Scotland. 10pts Scotland +8.5wickets/175.5runs 5/6 Bet365 This is the 4th Group A match and realistically it's going to be the 4th thrashing but whether it will be a big enough thrashing to cover this spread well I have my doubts. Scotland aren't the worst side going around and they are certainly better than Holland so theoretically they should stay closer to South Africa. Scotland bowled pretty well in their 1st game but just let it go at the end of the innings and Australia took advantage. You'd like to think that they would have learnt their lesson and will prove it against a weaker batting lineup today. Captain Craig Wright has gone home to attend his Aunt's funeral so Ryan Watson will step up to captain the side. South Africa welcome Makhaya Ntini back into the side after he arrived late to the party. Other than that it will be an unchanged side as South Africa lok to gain the victory that will set up a group decider with Australia on Saturday. Many of this Scottish side have South African history and that should inspire them to perform well. I think South Africa will win but Scotland should well stay within a very large handicap. 10pts C.Smith's Performance Pts 22&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Colin Smith's a pretty decent wicket keeper for his level and had a decent game against the Aussies which should have boosted his confidence. He took a stumping and then made a good looking 51 and was easily his sides best performer. He's actually got 6 stumpings in ODI's so maybe that wasn't a fluke and as we can see if 1 comes along here that will be job done. However if he can snatch a catch then 12 runs shouldn't be beyond him and Smith's performance is to be taken. 10pts G.Smith's Performance Pts 51&Over 8/11 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Graeme Smith had a decent 1st game with Holland and should go well again here. He bowled some overs in the Holland game and I expect him to bowl his off spin again here. Scotland didn't play too well against spin against Australia so he could pick up a wicket but equally if South Africa bat 1st then it's an ideal opportunity to get a big score before the serious stuff starts. He'll also field at slip and I think he'll cover this.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Game 2 is in England's group and it sees New Zealand take on Kenya. 10pts Kenya +6.5wickets/90.5runs 8/11 Bet365 Kenya take on New Zealand here with the winners being assured of a place in the Super 8's. 4 years ago, New Zealand's boycott of Kenya saw Kenya make it to the semi finals. It's unlikely that the Kiwi's will be so generous this time around. Kenya won't be disgraced in this company though in the way that Holland and Bermuda have been in this tournament. They are a very competent side with some decent players. Captain, Steve Tikolo chief among those but Hiren Varaiya has some incredible figures with his left arm spin. Maurice Ouma had a great game in the last match with Canada too so Kenya have the players to compete. New Zealand may well drop Jeetan Patel and bring in Darryl Tuffey or Michael Mason as Fleming didn't think his 2 prong spin attack was effective enough. Other than that the same side is expected to play as beat England last Friday. Kenya aren't going to beat New Zealand but they will compete. They're the best of the associate nations and can't be taken lightly. I don't think New Zealand will take them lightly but the bookies have which is to our advantage with this handicap. 10pts M.Ouma's Performance Pts 28&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Maurice Ouma had a decent 1st match against Canada picking up a stumping and then clouting a very impressive 58 at the top of the order which set the match up for his side. He should be full of confidence and I fully expect him to have enough to cover this total. Kenya use a lot of spinners and medium pacers so he should get points in the field and as opening batsman he'll have the chance to get them with the bat too. That should be enough to cover 28pts. 10pts S.Styris' Performance Pts 44&Over 4/5 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Scott Styris is a consistent performer for New Zealand and should run up a few points in this match. He'll bowl most of his 10 overs and coming in at no4 he should get a chance to score a few runs too. He can be a very quick run scorer when he gets going and fresh from his unbeaten 87 against England he'll be full of confidence with the willow. He also took 2 wickets in that match and I see a similar occurance here and think he'll cover 44pts comfortably.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread LOL - i know....i had heard about this place before...then you said that you were about on here...and so i had a look yesterday...and it's very good...especially some of the football analysis....could be quite usefull !! I like the cricket picks aswell...seem good...had a good day on cricket yesterday...had money on Zimbabwe/Bermuda to score over a certain amount of runs.... I also wanted to see your "god like status" :lol :tongue2

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread LOL-Yeah some great stuff about on here,this guy Kevshat is great,really knows his stuff,steady on with the last bit mate- LOL Anyway mate,good to see you here,i'm just about to leave,good luck with your bets,Later Jum

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread 2 more matches on Wednesday. The 1st is Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka. 10pts Bangladesh +5.5wickets/55.5runs 5/6 Sporting Odds The winners of this Group B match will pretty much assure themselves of a spot in the Super 8's. It would be fair to say that this is a bigger match for Sri Lanka than Bangladesh as Bangladesh look to have 2pts assured in their last match against Bermuda. That said though, these 2 nations could easily be the 2 sides progressing from this group when all is said and done and therefore Super 8 pts could be up for grabs in this match. Bangladesh would be foolish to change their side too much from the side that performed so impressively against India and outplayed India. They came of age in that match and the way they took the match to the Indians and played with such confidence, flair and power which is something we've not really seen from Bangladesh before at this level. Nobody had really heard of Sri Lanka when Dav Whatmore guided them to World Cup glory in 1996 and the way his Bangladesh side played in the 1st match there were shades of that Sri Lankan side about them. Sri Lanka did what they needed to against Bermuda and ran out incredibly easy winners as you'd expect. Both their batsmen and their bowlers got a decent work rate which should stand them in good stead but they might be in for a shock as to how good this Bangladesh side are assuming their 1st match wasn't a flash in the pan. Sri Lanka might want their top order to perform a bit better here but we are sure to be in for a cracking game of cricket. Bangladesh really aren't the pushovers of previous years and it's impossible to put into context what that Indian win will do for them. Whether they have enough about them or are good enough to beat Sri Lanka is another thing of course but they are definitely good enough to remain within this handicap. 10pts Bangladesh +15.5runs Highest 1st 15 Overs 5/6 Sporting Odds Against India on Saturday, Bangladesh were 74/2 off 15 overs. A repeat of that will be enough to bring this bet home, particularly if Bangladesh's new ball bowlers bowl as well as they did in that match. Obviously Jayasuriya can take a game away from any side and that's factored into this handicap but Bangladesh have a few who like to take the attack to the bowlers early doors a la Sri Lanka in 96 and again I think this is also a handicap they can stay within. 10pts M.Mortaza's Performance Pts 40&Over 4/5 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Mashrafe Mortaza had a great game against India where he bowled very well indeed. He also enjoys playing against Sri Lanka. His last 2 matches against them have seen him total 60 and 59pts. Obviously that would have been easily enough to bring this bet in. He bowled with lots of aggression on Saturday and a repeat should well bring us the 2 wickets we need. He can also hit a decent cricket ball so should he get into bat he can knock off some of the total that way. Confidence will be high in him and I fancy him to cover this. 10pts F.Maharoof's Performance Pts 37&Over 5/6 Boylesports Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Farveez Maharoof took 4 wickets in the demolishion of Bermuda on Thursday and bowled really well. He's the type of guy, similar to Styris and Collingwood in the last 2 days, that goes well against the so called minnows and I would expect no different here. 2 wickets wuld see us safe but I'd expect him to get a bat so he could theoretically cover this with the bat, he is good enough. In the Champions Trophy match these 2 sides played Maharoof took 3 wickets so I'm confident he'll cover this total. 5pts Bangladesh Most 6's 7/2 Bet365 I might be guilty of giving Bangladesh too much credit but this looks a daft price. Bangladesh walloped 5 6's here on Saturday against a classy Indian attack and there's no reason why they will abandon their attacking, cavalier style in this match. Sure Sri Lanka have lots of 6 hitting talent on display in their side but it's nowhere near the talent India have and they was restricted to just 1 six. The Sri Lankan top order can easily get shot out as it can dish out flair and flamboyance and at a daft price I'll take the confident Tigers to clear the ropes the most. 3pts ew C.Silva Top Sri Lankan Bat 10/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Here's a daft price if ever I've seen one. And it would appear Boylesports are giving Bangladesh absolutely no credit at all offering this price. Chamara Silva is a decent little batsman who bats at number 5 for Sri Lanka and is forming a bit of a reputation. His last 2 ODI innings have seen him make 107* vs India in India and then 55* against Bermuda last week. In between those knocks he hit 40 in the warmup match with New Zealand so he's shown he can bat. We've seen in the past Sri Lanka's top order not produce at all and if that should happen then Silva is right into the game. If not, all won't be lost as Silva has all the shots and can accelerate late on still giving is a chance of him top scoring. Having said that we're effectively on at 5/2 for him to place which is ridiculous and is getting a medium stake.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread

As always Kev, awesome write ups:ok GL mate:hope :hope :hope
Cheers mate. Game 2 on Wednesday will be a bit of an emotional affair. It's Pakistan vs Zimbabwe with emphasis probably not going to be on the cricket. 10pts Zimbabwe +4.5wickets/44.5runs 10/11 Sporting Odds Zimbabwe play Pakistan here in a cricket match that in all honestly very few will care about such is the effect the death of Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer has had on cricket. The side he left behind, already out of the competition, have nothing but pride to play for while Zimbabwe, who mathmatically can still qualify, need to win very big for any chance of that happening and even then they have to hope Ireland lose to the West Indies and end up with an inferior run rate to the African side. Pakistan won't find it easy to play cricket in this game. I dare say they'll come out with a "let's do it for Bob" attitude but at some stage they must surely crack such has been the pressure and emotion surrounding them these last 2 days. You couldn't blame them if they turn up with the thoughts of just wanting to get out of the West Indies ASAP really after all that's happened. As well as it being Pakistan's 1st game without Woolmer, it's their last being led by Inzamam and indeed the last time he'll perform in a one day international. Zimbabwe have an opportunity to beat a major nation here, albeit a battered and bruised one. It took them a while to get going against the West Indies on Monday but they batted ok when they did get going. They bowled very well for 30 overs or so but just ran out of steam coming down the stretch. Brendan Taylor looks in decent form with the bat, as does Sibanda and if the bowlers perform like they did against Ireland, Zimbabwe are in the game. The sentimental side in me wants this bet to lose but Pakistan are unpredictable to say the least when everything appears settled let alone under these circumstances. I hope they win the match but that's no certainty and with that in mind I'll stick to Zimbabwe staying inside the handicap. 10pts Pakistan -15.5runs Highest 1st 15 Overs 5/6 Stan James I expect Pakistan to come out all guns blazing in this match and looking to spank everything out of the park and really put on a show. With Imran Nazir and the returning Shahid Afridi in their ranks that is perfectly possible. If either of those 2 get going they'll be fishing cricket balls out of the sea. Pakistan have the bowling attack to keep Zimbabwe in check early doors and I really do think Pakistan will cover this handicap with ease. 10pts S.Malik's Performance Pts 34&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Shoaib Malik is a cricketer I like, I've not hidden that and he's the type of cricketer I'd expect to have a decent game here. He's a solid all round cricketer. Good batsman, clever spin bowler and good fielder and should well be in the game enough to cover this relatively small spread for a major side playing a minnow. 10pts B.Taylor's Performance Pts 37&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Brendan Taylor's looked in good touch with the bat and Zimbabwe are batting him higher and higher these days. He'll probably bat at number 4/5 which will give him enough time to knock this total off with the bat but obviously if he doesn't manage that he'll get chances to do it in the field. Pakistan should be going gung-ho so maybe a stumping can be landed for us but a catch or two will do. He's a good enough batsman to cover this with the bat, as he showed with his 50 against the Windies and I'll take him to cover here. 1 more bet which covers both matches on Wednesday. 10pts K.Sangakkara to win Mythical Group 2 11/10 Stan James This is a Stan James special market pitting together Sangakkara, Inzamam, Rahim and Chibhabha. To me this looks like a match bet because Chibhabha is overrated for Zimbabwe as I pointed out on Monday, and Inzamam has other things on his mind than making a huge total and he's got the flight home on the horizon. So we're down to Sangakkara and Rahim. At 11/10 right now I'd take Sangakkara to beat just about anyone in world cricket right now especially the young Bangladeshi starlet. Normally I give these Stan James group bets a swerve but this is one where the favourite not only deserves to be the favourite but looks overpriced.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Nice analysis about Bangladesh Kev. You can also add India 1983 to Sri Lanka 1995 list as prior to 1983 India were minnows in the one day game. Before The India Bermuda game I took Bagladesh @ 75 on betfair to win. They are out to 120 now :$ . The theory was that Bangladesh were still underrated, and maybe their win against New Zealand in the warm ups was not such a fluke after all. If they could beat NZ once they could do it again and also beat England and or Ireland/Zinbabwe. This would leave them needing to win one more game to qualify for the semis. Bit far fetched maybe and I'd had a couple at the time :cheers but at 120 it may be worth a go and if the win was a flash in the pan against India it may still be possible to trade out at a small loss (or indeed let it ride as it was only a small bet)

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread I know the match isnt until Friday afternoon but i think the West Indies will beat Ireland comfortable enough in the final group game. Both teams are already through to the Super 8's. Ireland are in carnival mode and although they had achieved what everyone didnt expect, they are now gauaranteed a further 5 games over the coming weeks. Ireland i believe will go out and enjoy playing in whats sure to be agreat atmosphere in the West Indies. The home side can complete a 100% record with victory and knowing what the Irish did against Pakistan, I cant see the Indies not being well prepared and motivated and ready to put the Irish to the sword. 1/12 is not amazingly great odds but its an excellent return in my opinion for a home win. Also the very impressive New Zealanders will have way too much for Canada on Thursday. Low odds however!

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Well that was a truly awful day. I worried about talking Bangladesh up too much and they flatter to deceive and that's exactly what happened. The Zimbabwe-Pakistan match became a farce really once the rain come in and it's very rare the punter comes out on top in those circumstances. In the end I did well to get out of that match -10. 2 more matches on Thursday. Scotland vs Holland is the 1st one. 10pts Scotland -2.5wickets/13.5 runs 10/11 Bet365 The 2 minnows in Group A meet in what is really their world cup final with both having taking 2 batterings by Australia and South Africa. Scotland have competed well but been outclassed when it counts in both games while Holland have been bashed out of sight in both games. Scotland's captain Craig Wright returns for this match having missed the South Africa match. He will go into the side in what looks like being the only change. Dewald Nel looks to be the man to make way for him. Scotland will once again look for a good performance from Dougie Brown as he has been their talisman so far in the tournament. Holland will be glad they'll be in a match here rather than being battered. There can't be much confidence in the camp though, their batsmen, Ten Doeschate aside haven't made any runs and their bowlers have been hit all around the Caribbean. It will take a good effort from Luuk van Troost to raise his sides spirits enough to make them competitive here. Scotland are the better side in my eyes and they've played by far the better cricket. They have much more experience than this Dutch side and I think they will win and win well enough to cover this handicap. 10pts P.Borren's Performance Pts 26&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Peter Borren has had a decent enough tournament compared to his team mates. He's taken a wicket in both matches, or rather been given a wicket in both matches and he hit a fluent 24 against the Aussies with the bat. He looks to be one of few Dutchmen who have worked out the conditions. He's also got a good record against Scotland. In the match the 2 sides played in the ICC Cricket League he took 2/32 and hit 30 with the bat so this total isn't beyond him. With all that in mind I'll take him to cover 26. 10pts D.Brown's Performance Pts 45&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Dougie Brown is very experienced and he's having a good competition. You can be assured he'll be highly competitive but he enjoys the cricket too. He sets the standard in this Scottish side and is the go to man for Craig Wright. Still going strong for Warwickshire, there isn't much that will faze him and I can't see this Dutch side causing too many problems for him. He made 45* in the match with Australia which would obviously see us safe here but he will probably bowl 10 overs too and has every chance of picking up wickets against a weak batting lineup. All in all I think Scotland's main man will cover 45. 10pts R.Watson to beat G.Hamilton 5/6 Bet365 I think Ryan Watson will have a very good game here. He's an aggressive batsman who will want to take his last oportunity to stamp his mark on this world cup. He once hit a 43 ball century against Somerset for Scotland which goes to show what he can do if he gets going. He looked in good touch against Australia on Tuesday before he was run out and against a weaker attack I expect him to go well again. Gavin Hamilton bats below him in the lineup and it could be that he bats 2 spots below him too which would obviously give Watson an advantage as he'll have the potential to face more overs. Even if they came in side by side though I'd still fancy Watson to outscore Hamilton. 5pts R.Ten Doeschate Top Holland Bat 3/1 Bet Direct Ryan Ten Doeschate is a classy one day batsmen as Essex fans will know and he showed that in Holland's opening match of this competition against South Africa when he made a beautifully constructed 57. His fellow batsmen just haven't got going in this tournament so far and their confidence may well be in ruins. Ten Doeschate faces a lot of this Scottish attack week in week out for Essex which should stand him in good stead to top score here.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Game 2 sees Canada play New Zealand. 10pts New Zealand -7.5wickets/125.5runs 10/11 Bet365 The 5th game in Group C sees Canada play New Zealand in what is a nothing match in terms of qualification as New Zealand are already through and Canada already out but there's still a bit to play for as confidence building, particularly for New Zealand is important. New Zealand will rest a couple of players as they are through, Bond will get a rest as will Taylor who ended the last game with a dodgy hamstring. Fulton and Tuffey are their likely replacements. Patel may also get a gig, possibly for Vettori or maybe Mason. Gillespie is still out with illness. New Zealand have looked good so far and will want to win this match for momentum going into the Super Eights. Canada will look to end their world cup on a bright note with a good performance here. They've not really performed to their best so far in the competition so the least they'll want to do is show what they can do. I wasn't going to bet the outright in this match but New Zealand's batting looks in very good nick and I think they will outscore Canada enough to cover this handicap. 10pts Canada +28.5runs Highest 1st 15 Overs 10/11 Sporting Odds New Zealand have a lot of destructive batsmen but they generally come in later in the innings at numbers 5, 6 and 7 which shouldn't come into play here. Canada shoved captain John Davison up to open against England and if he does that again Canada should stay within this handicap. We all remember what he did to the West Indies 4 years ago and if he starts teeing off then Canada will stay close in the 1st 15 overs. New Zealand rarely fly away from sides early doors so this looks like a good opportunity for Canada to cover this handicap. 10pts S.Dhaniram's Performance Pts 30&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Sunil Dhaniram's been one of Canada's bright spots in this tournament so far. He's hit 34* and 30 in his two matches so far and has also picked up 4 wickets so he's having a good tournament. He seems to enjoy his cricket so even if he's going round the ground he'll still come back hard at the Kiwi batsmen. He's also got a catch to his name so he's been in the points so far and I think he'll do so again on a pitch that has looked all tournament like it will take more and more spin as the days go by. 10pts S.Styris' Performance Pts 47&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Scott Styris has been good to us in this tournament so far and he's shown us no sign that we need to avoid him. He often goes well against the minnows and the fact he's so good with bat and ball gives him every chance of covering this. I expect him to score points in the field be it by catches or wickets and then with runs with the bat so I think this will be covered. He plays spin well which could be a key and is a man of the match contender here for me. Overs for Styris. 4pts ew C.McMillan Top New Zealand Bat 8/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Craig McMillan is in a rich vein of form with the bat right now, his last 4 ODI efforts have seen him score 52, 117, 27 and 71and they've all come quicker than a run a ball. He's a hige hitter when he gets going and this weak Canada attack combined with these short boundaries should only equal one thing. Lots of quick runs from McMillan's bat. NZ are without one of if not their best batsman in Ross Taylor here which might give McMillan longer at the crease and at 2/1 just to place he's a decent bet here.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Kiwis may reshuffle the batting order to give time in the middle to one or two who will be important for run contribution Super 8s. McCullum, the keeper, is a contender. dnb v Eng and 9 balls v Kenya. NZ are ace at not rigidly sticking to the hymn sheet (cf England :zzz). Spreads probably not thinking about this when quoting McCullum at 20-25. BUY perf McCullum @ 25 As keeper, limited downside. IF he is promoted then there could be some very decent upside. :tongue2

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread It isn't looking particularly good for Bond most NZ wickets. Currently stands in third place - two behind vettori, one behind franklin. He'll need a 4 wicket game in the super 8's. Two Absolutely massive games coming up. Sri Lanka vs India tonight, and Aus vs South Africa tomorrow. I wish I didn't have to go out filming at 7am as then I'd be able to watch a fair bit of it.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Quite like the evens on offer on India vs Sri Lanka, not much between the two sides, evenly matched. India did beat S.L 3-1 in recent ODI series but that was minus Murali and Vaas. India's mauling of Bermuda should have settled them down now, i think the fact its a must win game, could see them over the winning line, should have more desire and work rate today. The key could be winning the toss, the team that bowls first could hold all the aces, with likely early movement on offer. gl.