Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Queensland have really lifted this half. If i hadnt of seen any of the match and just switched it on 5 mins ago, id have to say Queensland are looking alot better and they are starting to attack more now. However i really cant see the Jets coffing this game up from here on, they are just way too strong defensively while Queensland cant hit targets when shooting

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th How did Vaughan Coveny miss that?!?!?!?!? There was no goalkeeper in site and Coveny has the whole goal to shoot at from about the penalty spot and misses!! Never seen a sitter missed like that in my life and it would of finished the match :$

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Newcastle make it 3-0 Never again will you find betetr value on a team than the $3.00 tonight on Newcastle. Was an absolute steal, well done to the guys who backed them :ok Even better, well done to the guys who took them in a double with the NBL team New Zealand tonight :ok :ok

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th How could they have them at $3-00 on there form? Jets form has been great, only the 2nd team to beat Melbourne, and away from home. I have the Jets going in doubles with Melbourne and Mariners so hopefully the latter two teams will do there bit :ok

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th

How could they have them at $3-00 on there form? Jets form has been great, only the 2nd team to beat Melbourne, and away from home. I have the Jets going in doubles with Melbourne and Mariners so hopefully the latter two teams will do there bit :ok
I think their shit performance against New Zealand last week which was 1-1 is the only thing that would explain it, or the fact Queensland won last week. Otherwise the $3.00 on offer was a total joke and i took it happily with medium stakes. Easy money really and a great win by Newcastle, they really are a good side

Thanks BJ.Between you and ads i´m having a early christmas today here in Sweden:nana :nana
Cheers Petkar :ok I am steadily learning with the A League that you have to back the teams that are performing now rather than backing teams that one is hoping to perform. The Jets have been the form team for the last 7 to 8 weeks and to be honest, the value at $3-00 made me want to back them more than anything else. It was too good to ignore, especially coupled up into Doubles and Trebles. I also got them at the Draw No Bet at $2-20 which was never in doubt, so been a good night for all which is good to see. Cheers :cheers

Yeah I did the drawn no-bet. But I think its because lately I'm so frightened of draws - lost quite a few soccer matches because of a draw result.
Well done Koi :ok Hopefully wont be a draw between Melbourne and Sydney Friday night. I want Melbourne to spank there arses at the Dome :spank. Melbourne are around $2-20 so they are good odds too :dude

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC, Melbourne have a chance to secure the minor premiership tonight when they take on their biggest rivals in Sydney FC. After last weeks 3-1 win over Adelaide, they will definitely be able to take on these schleppers. There have already been 37,000 tickets sold for this match, which means at least 45,000 people will front up. There is no way Melbourne will lose this. (Now that I’ve jinxed them, stay away ;) ) Sitting 14 points clear of second-placed Sydney, the defending A-League champion, Victory has a chance to secure the minor premiership and a place in the 2008 Asian Champions League with a win at Telstra Dome!!!!!!!

Mate Melbourne is $2.00 for the win at Centrebet. I’m putting the house on it. This is a 5 unit bet if I’ve ever seen one mate.

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Taking Melb today and I think pretty much Melbourne should be very motivated to win this one since they will wrap the season and its a good one to do in front of a such huge anticipated crowd. Melbourne would be without Brebner which is a big loss imo but however I still think they still have just enough depth to cover that. While on the other hand, Sydney have a full team to choose from and they don't have the pressure factor like what Melbourne had. However, I still think after Melbourne good win against Adelaide last week, they will keep the momentum going for this match. Odds is 2 @ Centrebet is also a good one to take, personally will take this with 6/10 stakes that would be enough to keep the adrenaline pumping when I'm in the dome ;)

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Melbourne will definately have 12 players tonight, the 45,000+ crowd being the extra man. It will be pressure cooker under the roof at Telstra dome for Sydney with a hostile Melbourne crowd cheering their team home. This factor cannot be underestimated

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC Friday 8 December 8.00pm AEDT (7.00pm AEST (Qld only), 7.30pm ACDT, 6.00pm AWDT) Telstra Dome, Melbourne Melbourne Squad: 1.Michael THEOKLITOS (gk), 2.Kevin MUSCAT, 4.Mark BYRNES, 6.Steve PANTELIDIS, 8.FRED, 9.Daniel ALLSOPP, 10.Archie THOMPSON, 12.Rodrigo VARGAS, 13.Kristian SARKIES, 14.Adrian CACERES, 15.Adrian LEIJER, 16.Simon STOREY, 18.ALESSANDRO, 20.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 21.James ROBINSON. In: Kristian Sarkies (promoted) Out: Grant Brebner (suspended – 1 match) Others Unavailable: Daniel Piorkowski (hamstring – 1 week) Sydney FC Squad: 1.Clint BOLTON (gk), 2.Iain FYFE, 3.Alvin CECCOLI, 4.Mark RUDAN (Captain), 6.Ufuk TALAY, 7.Robbie MIDDLEBY, 8.Ruben ZADKOVICH, 9.David ZDRILIC, 10.Steve CORICA, 11.Sasho PETROVSKI, 12.David CARNEY, 14.Alex BROSQUE, 15.Terry McFLYNN, 16.Mark MILLIGAN, 17.Jacob TIMPANO, 20.Justin PASFIELD. *One to be omitted In: Jacob Timpano (return from injury) Out: Nil Others Unavailable: Nil Impending stats, facts and trivia The last time these two teams met at Telstra Dome, in Round 2 earlier this season, Melbourne Victory attracted an all-time Australian record crowd for a non-finals club match: 39,730. With another bumper crowd expected for the Round 16 showdown, the Victory are looking for an all-time domestic league match record crowd for ALL matches, including finals. The top five crowds for Australian domestic league matches (all finals) are: 43,242 Perth v Wollongong (1999/2000 NSL Grand Final) 42,764 Perth v Wollongong (1999/2000 NSL Major Semi Final) 42,735 Perth v Sydney Olympic (2001/02 NSL Grand Final) 41,689 Sydney FC v Central Coast Mariners (2005/06 Hyundai A-League Grand Final) 40,446 Brisbane v Sydney United (1996/97 NSL Grand Final)

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC Date: Friday December 8 Kick-off (local time): 8.00pm Venue: Telstra Dome Head-to-head Five league meetings: Melbourne - 3 wins, Sydney - 1 win, 1 draw Previous meeting Sydney 1 Melbourne 2 (Aussie Stadium, Hyundai A-League round nine, October 2006) Last five results Melbourne: Draw - Win - Win - Loss - Win Sydney: Draw - Win - Win - Win - Draw Analysis If Melbourne Victory defeats reigning champion Sydney FC in Friday night's tie-of-the-round, Ernie Merrick's side would move 16 points clear of its current closest challengers and all but wrap up the premiership with five rounds of the regular season still to play. Only an Adelaide United victory over the Knights on Sunday could then halt Melbourne's relentless charge to the title even though the Reds would in that scenario still languish 15 points behind the league leaders with 15 points available. All signs point to Melbourne clinching the premiership before the Christmas break after another ruthless victory last weekend with goals from the usual suspects of Kevin Muscat, Danny Allsopp and Fred. Socceroos striker Archie Thompson was the player to bag a brace in the Victory's previous meeting with Sydney, a feisty affair where referee Mark Shield dished out eight yellow cards. But it is strike partner Danny Allsopp who is the one showing few signs of halting his charge towards the golden boot having already now scored more goals than any player managed the entire of the regular season last year. Sydney's Sasho Petrovski, who has become frustrated over recent rounds because of his lack of starting opportunities, scored eight times including the finals series, as did Alex Brosque but nobody can compare to Allsopp's nine goals this term. And let's not forget the 28-year-old former Manchester City forward also scored three times in the Hyundai A-League Pre-Season Cup. Melbourne is missing Daniel Piorkowski (hamstring) and Grant Brebner (suspended) this week with Merrick electing to draft in Kristian Sarkies as cover. Sydney coach Terry Butcher has named the same side for three matches running with the championship chaser taking 10 points from a possible 12 over the past month. Now Butcher even has the luxury of naming fit-again Jacob Timpano after missing two-thirds of the season with a groin injury. A massive crowd is expected for the much anticipated clash, with the all-time domestic home and away attendance record - set by Melbourne in the corresponding round two fixture with a crowd of 39,730 - likely to fall.

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th I will see you down there Ads and will be there around 6:30pm or so. I am going to buy some tickets now and hope there is still some left. If any fellow PL punters are going down to the game then let us know and we can meet up in the Locker Room or something before the game :cheers

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Victory vows to attack MELBOURNE Victory will attack Sydney FC from the start and try to wrap up the A-League minor premiership in style at Telstra Dome tonight. Sitting 13 points clear on top of the table and the league's top-scoring club (32 goals), Victory will not play safe when the top two teams meet having got this close to securing the minor premiership and being the first qualifier for a spot in the 2008 Asian Champions League. "We've obviously changed the game plan each week, depending on who we play, but generally we've gone out to play every game to win the three points," Victory coach Ernie Merrick said. "(In Adelaide last week) if we got a draw we kept the same distance between us and Adelaide and they might have been surprised that we keep playing attacking football. "But that's been the story all the way through. Why would we change when we go out as an attacking team and we're winning so often? We'll be attacking all teams." Victory's 3-5-2 formation lends itself to attack, especially with strikers Archie Thompson (seven goals) and Daniel Allsopp (nine goals) up front with exciting Brazilian Fred tucked in between the front two and the midfielders as a third scoring threat. It is enjoyable to play and watch, and Victory players have revelled in the free-flowing game that has helped them win 12 of their 15 games, losing only twice as they live by the creed that attack is the best defence. "It's already in their mindset and we started that in the pre-season when we played 15 pre-season games," Merrick said. With central midfielder Grant Brebner suspended for tonight, Kristian Sarkies has been recalled to the 15-man squad after missing the away win over Adelaide United, while Alessandro or Adrian Caceres will be promoted from the bench to the starting 11. It would be a surprise for Alessandro to start, given he is predominantly left-sided and not suited to central midfield, although Merrick could shuffle the pack to accommodate the speedy Brazilian. It is more likely Caceres, introduced off the bench early in last week's win over Adelaide United, will start on the park and Merrick still has the option of inserting Alessandro's pace later in the contest. The other poser for Victory is whether to play with the Telstra Dome roof open to take advantage of the expected fine weather or closed to exploit the atmosphere generated by an anticipated A-League record crowd of more than 40,000. "I think If it's a warm, barmy evening they should keep the roof open," Merrick said. "Other times we've shut the roof to make sure we make it a pressure cooker. Don't you put a lid on a pressure cooker? It's worked well, but it's what happens on the grass rather than the roof that I'm worried about at the moment."

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Sydney's Rudan tips 'Blood Dome' SYDNEY FC captain Mark Rudan yesterday predicted "blood and guts" at Telstra Dome tonight as the defending champion plans to spoil Melbourne Victory's early minor premiership party. "There will be fireworks, count on it. Melbourne haven't won the title yet," Rudan said. "Apart from being the biggest game of the season, you have a lot of winners in both teams and you have two teams who just hate losing. "There's also that history (of incidents) between us and a great rivalry. "Passion will take over and something is bound to give. It might be a tackle in the first five minutes or just before halftime, but something will trigger a blow-up. "I think you'll find that neither team will pull out of 50-50 challenges. "We owe Melbourne something. They've already beaten us twice this season. "I just think it's going to be a fascinating and exciting game in front of more than 40,000 fans. We won't be intimidated by the crowd. We don't need any more motivation." Rudan was sent off in the first game against Victory this season at Telstra Dome when there were ugly incidents which saw Sydney's Mark Milligan hit in the throat by Fred and Robbie Middleby carried off early. "I won't be getting sucked in again, that's for sure," Rudan said. But the Sydney skipper was full of praise for what Victory has achieved after a very lean first year in the A-League. "You have to give credit where it's due," he said. "Everyone talks about what Kevin Muscat has done for the team. Sure he's played a big part, but I believe Fred has turned it all around for them. "I rate the Brazilian the best player in the league. "It's what he does off the ball. He's the one who creates the space for striker Danny (Allsopp) and Archie (Thompson). He's just invaluable. "The one thing we won't be trying to do is man-mark him. He'll be just picked up in the areas he goes." Allsopp (9), Thompson (7) and Muscat (7) have scored 23 of Victory's 32 goals. Apart from being leading goalscorers, Victory also has the best defensive record, conceding 11 goals in 15 games. "The reason they have the best defence is that they have had stability at the back," Rudan said. "We've been forced to chop and change a bit because of injuries, but we've given away just one goal in our past four games. "We've got experience, strength, height and speed at the back now. Since the four (Iain Fyfe, Rudan, Mark Milligan and Alvin Ceccoli) have come together we're making it harder for our opponents to score." Coach Terry Butcher has kept an identical starting 11 for the past three matches and judging by what he said in his newspaper column yesterday, he'll be sticking with the one-striker system. He said that the 4-2-3-1 formation had been more prosperous in the results achieved, and it can be assumed he'll retain David Zdrilic up front and again have the outspoken Sasho Petrovski coming off the bench. What Petrovski, who criticised Butcher's tactics, and a lot of people seem to forget is that former coach Pierre Littbarski often used only one striker, yet the former England international is continually slammed as being negative.

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Lineups for tonight's blockbuster in Melbourne

Melbourne Victory

Sydney FC

1 Michael Theoklitos (gk)

1 Clint Bolton (gk)

2 Kevin Muscat ©

2 Iain Fyfe

4 mark Byrnes

3 Alvin Ceccoli

6 Steve Pantelidis

4 Mark Rudan ©

8 Fred

6 Ufuk Talay

9 Daniel Allsopp

7 Robbie Middleby

10 Archie Thompson

9 David Zdrillic

12 Rodrigo Vargas

10 Steve Corica

14 Adrian Caceres

12 David Carney

15 Adrian Leijer

15 Terry McFlynn

16 Simon Storey

16 Mark Milligan

Subs:

Subs:

13 Kristian Sarkies

8 Ruben Zadkovich

18 Alessandrio

11 Sasha Petrovski

20 Eugene Galekovic (gk)

14 Alex Brosque

21 James Robinson

20 Justin Pasfield

Coach: Ernie Merrick

Coach: Terry Butcher

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th Melbourne Victory vs Sydney FC

Past matches

Oct 21, 2006

A-League

Sydney FC

1 - 2

Melb. Victory

Sep 02, 2006

A-League

Melb. Victory

3 - 2

Sydney FC

Dec 03, 2005

A-League

Sydney FC

2 - 1

Melb. Victory

Oct 16, 2005

A-League

Melb. Victory

5 - 0

Sydney FC

Aug 28, 2005

A-League

Sydney FC

1 - 1

Melb. Victory

Melbourne have a 3-1-1 head to head record against Sydney and have won three of their last four meetings. The home side always step up to the plate when they play Sydney and tonight should be no difference playing in front of a home crowd of over 40,000 people.

Last 8

Games

M

W

D

L

P

F

A

Melbourne

Home

Sydney

Away

Melbourne have only won one of their last 4 games at home and that was against Perth by 1 goal to nil. They have lost to Adelaide and the Jets while they had the memorable 3-3 draw with the Mariners. I’m not sure if the pressure of performing in front of big home crowds is having an effect or not, but they have only picked up 4 points in their last four home games.

Sydney’s two losses on the road were the 3-1 loss to the Mariners earlier in the season and the Saturday night blockbuster in Round 2 at Telstra Dome in front of 44,000 people where Mark Rudan was sent off and the Victory beat them 3-2.

Shots Per Goal

Team

Shots

Goals

Shots per goal

Games

Shots per Game

Total

Melbourne Vict

Total

Sydney FC

Team

On goal

Goals

Shots per goal

Games

Shots per Game

Home

Melbourne Vict

Away

Sydney FC

In total goals scored Melbourne score a goal around every 5 shots which they have averaged all season and is a top class effort to keep that up continually. Sydney are not far behind and score a goal every 7 shots. Interestingly enough the Victory have 7 shots for a goal at home, and score a goal every 4 shots away from home. Not much between Sydney and Melbourne here and if either team create enough chances there will plenty of goals. This makes the over 2.5 bet a good play because if both teams have double figure shots then at least 3 goals should have been scored.

Times Goals Scored

Team

0-15

16-30

31-45

46-60

61-75

76-90

Total

Melbourne Vict

7 - 3

5 - 3

1 - 1

8 - 0

5 - 1

6 - 3

Total

Sydney FC

5 - 4

3 - 0

6 - 2

4 - 4

2 - 4

6 - 2

Team

0-15

16-30

31-45

46-60

61-75

76-90

Home

Melbourne Vict

5 - 2

2 - 3

0 - 0

3 - 0

0 - 1

4 - 2

Away

Sydney FC

2 - 2

1 - 0

2 - 1

2 - 3

0 - 1

4 - 2

Melbourne fire up in the first 30 minutes of each half, and often come out running to score an early goal. The Victory still haven’t conceded a goal at home in the 15 minutes before and after half time. Sydney are capable of scoring at any time and they too also score goals in the first half of their games.

Melbourne lose Grant Brebner who is a tough nut and is going to be missed and he is replaced by Kristian Sarkies. Sydney are almost at full strength and have Jacob Timpano returning from injury. Sydney actually have a team that has not changed much in recent weeks and go into this game with no excuses whatsoever should they not perform.

Current Odds

X

Melbourne

2-00

3-25

3-45

Sydney

It’s not often you get Melbourne at odds of $2-00, and it’s not often you get those odds for a team that is so far ahead on the ladder and only lost 2 games in 15. I respect Sydney and expect them to play at a high level tonight, and if you like the away team they are tremendous odds. If it wasn’t Melbourne I would hit Sydney at those odds, because to be honest they are great value. They are at full strength and have nothing to lose by going out and attacking.

Having said that, I expect Melbourne to be fired up for this game and they will want to pound Sydney into the dirt like normal. There is no love lost here and since I am going to the game and barracking hard for Melbourne I am on them at the $2-00. I also have them going on the double with the Jets last night at great odds.

So it is Melbourne all the way for me.

BET Melbourne Straight Out to Win @ $2-00 Game Over 2.5 Goals @ $1-86

Weekend Interest

Melbourne Win / CC Mariners Win Double @ $3-60

Melbourne Win / CC Mariners Win / Adelaide Win @ $4-20

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th LIVE WEB RADIO BROADCAST Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC Friday 8 December, 8.00pm AEDT (7.00pm AEST (Qld only), 7.30pm ACDT, 6.00pm AWDT) Radio: SEN 1116AM (Melbourne) www.sen.com.au Click on the radio on the top right where it says "Listen Live" You can also get Live Game Stats HERE when the game actually starts. Just click on "Live" link The game will start around 5 hours from now

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th I am heading down to the big smoke of Melbourne in a couple of hours to watch the game live and will not be able to update the thread during the game. I have provided a link to the Live Radio Broadcast of the game in the above post. Good luck to all with your bets and go the Victory!!! :dude

Re: Australian A League Round 16 - Thursday Dec 7th - Sunday Dec 10th I'll also be backing Melbourne. I dont have time to do an in depth preview as im heading down to the game very shortly, but i think Beejay covered alot of what i would of written anyway. Melbourne are a classy team and have already beaten Sydney twice this season. With a crowd of 45,000 cheering them on it will certainly impact their performance while it will be deafening for Sydney who will never of seen anything like it. Melbourne at $2.00 is fantastic value and its very rare to see a team this good with value like that. Ill be taking them in a double with Sydney Kings to win Over 10.5 points in the NBL basketball to give me odds of around $3.50. Best of luck to everyone tonight and make sure you do yourselves a favour and have a look at this match on tv if ya can. Will be truly an epic :ok