Nhl 10/23/06

i bet every favorite in this game. buffalo should steamroll the canadians despite thier win against colorado, they let in way to many goals to be a contender against the best shooting in teh league. atlanta should beat the panthers, panthers havnt been playing good and atlanta just came off a win. sharks will beat the bluejackets despite thier loss last night *cries* despite thier close call tonight, the kings will lose to colorado who put in a good showing last night against montreal. stars over vancouver and edm over pheonix are easy picks so, with reasoning, i picked basically every favorite because there was no good reason to pick a underdog.

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 Interesting round today in NHL. I have to disagree with RangerJahu in some games today, as I actually found good reasons to pick some *dogs* tonight: Florida Panthers @2.50 10/10u - Atlanta Trashers This game is the one where I have to disagree the most as I think the Panthers will win this one pretty easily. These teams have already faced eachother twice this season, first ended 6-0 to Atlanta and the other was played the day before yesterday and it ended 4-2 to Trashers. The first game was over when rusty Belfour was the one to get the start as he hoovered four goals from nine SOG, can't blame the whole team for that. Second game on the other hand was very tight and it was a penalty shot and an empty net goal that made that two goal difference. So the second leg of pure b2b fixture played today in Florida and the current home side was the one that was defeated in the first clash. Talking about b2b fixtures, it's a strange thing how even the worstest team in the league often defeats the best in this kind of fixture after losing the first leg with numbers like 8-2. It's all about raising teams momentum and these kind of matches get the players lit up damn well which shows in the scoreboard. Now when an excellent home performer Florida wellcomes the Trashers, an average away performer, to their rink after a tight loss suffered back in Atlanta there is no doubt in my mind who is the probable winner of this game. So Panthers for me with high stakes. Edmonton Oilers @1.70 10/10u - Phoenix Coyotes The Oilers have the best home record so far, that's if you ask me. They've won all four home games in regular time against tough opponents: Calgary, San Jose, Vancouver and Detroit. There is absolutely no messing around with them on their home ice, their home goal difference shows 14-7 and their team spirit in home is outstanding, the Sharks would definetely agree with me. Tuesday October 12th and the Sharks are leading 1-4 against Oilers and there is only one period to go. And where do the Sharks find themselves after 3rd period? Trailing by two goals, the game ended 6-4 for Oilers. That's just one example for their strength as at their last game they had Detroit visiting and the game was tied by the Wings just 8mins left of 3rd period. In few minutes Detroit found themselves trailing by two goals and there was no penalties involved. The Oilers won't give up at any point of the game and they have the ability to shake up their opponents as they just simply are so unbelievible stubborn. Also Edmonton's gamestyle runs like a train, they might not get too many shots on opponents goal but they capitalize. Their gameplan also includes keeping your opponents shots away from your goalie: They've kept their past two opponents (Vancouver and Detroit) in just 22 SOG in first two periods (that's four periods combined making it a 5.5 shot on goal/period). Most of the shots on Oilers goal has been made in 3rd period as the opponents have been trailing and most likely just given it a 110% to get even. Now facing a whole different level opponent when the Phoenix Coyotes come visiting as someone could call them very weak. Phoenix has dropped five out of last six games with a goal difference of 9-26 and during which they only managed to win against poor St.Louis, also scoring most of the goals against them (five). Coyotes's last two games were their homestand where they lost to LA and Dallas, both games ended 0-4. The problem in their play is ofcourse weak defense and shake goaltending, not to forgot the narrowness of quality offensive players. They've also taken way too much penalties to survive, in last three games they managed to take a combined of 28 two min penalties, 3 5mins and 2 10min misconduc penalties. These are numbers that will get almost any team to crash and burn badly. So all in all, I've reached the conclusion that there is just no frigin way that Edmonton is not going to win this (miracles discluded). I would say that this is the best play from tonights NHL selection and with odds like 1.70+... Home win, high stakes. Columbus Blues Jackets - San Jose Sharks @2.20 10/10u The struggling Blue Jackets will welcome the highly offensive Sharks to their home where they actually defeated the Sharks both times last season. Columbus has dropped three games in a row mainly because their goaltending, goal difference showing 5-14. They have two bad goaltenders in their hands, LeClaire and Norrena. Neither of them has shown anything spectacular so far and the team is taking a beating cuz of it. San Jose on the other hand has their defense in good shape and goaltending isn't a problem. Also their attacking lines are more than able to outscore the opponents if it's needed althou they are coming to this match with an embarrasing 1-4 home defeat against Minnesota under their belt. That was the match where Minnesota was weighted and the Wild proved to be worthy. Biggest thanks goes to Minnesota's goaltender Fernandes who is standing like a wall and ofcourse they used their scoring chances well. Now it's a whole different story with Columbus as it's defense shouldn't be any problem to San Jose's talented strikers and with poor goaltending the Blue Jackets are in trouble. Also it's good to note that Columbus has one of the worstest penalty killing units in the league which won't be much of a use against Shark's excellent powerplay. Can't see Sharks dropping two games in a row at this fixture. Colorado - Los Angeles Both teams are doing good atm althou both are coming of from lost games. Colorado was defeated 8-5 by Montreal and LA lost 2-3 to Anaheim at shootout. I watched the game between Colorado and Montreal and can't say that I'm impressed with it's performance, their lead was 0-3 at biggest but still they managed to throw that away. I can't blame the goaltender althou he could've picked 1-2 pucks with better luck but the defense was looking really crappy at times and Montreal used those opportunities well. I think there were atleast two times when they were trying to clear the puck from defensive zone but instead they handed it over to Montreal player in a good scoring position and the rest is on the scoreboard. Los Angeles on the other hand has recovered from bad start and playing well now. LA really should've won last night in regular time but it was their goalie actually, and some bad luck, that took it away: the tying goal slipped from Garons glove, nothing surprising there but the shot would've gone well wide if Garon hadn't tried to get a hold of the puck. Furthermore Los Angeles dominated the game pretty much but the Ducks held on. I would be tempted to take Colorado at home here but it's defense looked too shaky at last game and Los Angeles has picked up their pace alot so it's gonna be NO BET for me on this one. Note that history also shows that Los Angeles has done good vs Colorado. -------------------------------- I'll add more write-ups as the day gets older and also won't be backing any games until Betsafe openes their odds (as I refueled my Expekt account so there are more options). Best of luck to everyone :ok

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 Hey guys. I agree with what you say about Phoenix Fin, the problem with the Coyotes is that they have no cohesion, I think they are gonna struggle for a while until they start to gel, they do have decent players, but there's something about the water down in Glendale..............I have to admit I'm a little surprised about the odds, I'm pretty wary on teams early on in the season and take the first 20 or so games with less regard than the rest of the season, but their is an obvious gulf between these two teams and 1.73 regulation ( betfair ) seems big even at this stage of the season. I'll br taking a chunk of that. To put it in perspective, Dallas are 1.77 regulation against a tough playing Canucks outfit who are coming off back to back wins, and there is no way I consider these two matches to be of equal disparity. Although I agree with the reasoning behind your Florida pick, I think that Atlanta will take some beating, I know the respective record home and away for each team point to a Panthers win, I feel that Atlanta match up well against them, the two wins this season so far show that, and Atlanta will win if they can transfer their home form to the road, however both teams have faced pretty easy schedules so far so I haven't got a hold of how good/bad each team really is so small stakes on Atlanta 2.20 regulation win. Dallas have started off like a train this year but I do find myself attracted to the odds of the Canucks in this one. I feel the Canucks could be a sleeper team this year and I've been very impressed with them so far, they have quite a few new faces but are gelling well and have definatly improved defensivly from last year. The Sedin's are improving every year, and they have beefed up as a whole, even if their offence is not quite as good as last year. I'll take them at small stakes for a regulation win @ 3.30.

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 @ sport guy. Both topics were made at the same time (aye, happens alot around here :D ) @ effigy. Agree with your Dallas - Vancouver reasoning, was about to write something similiar. Dallas's odds are the rubbish of this evening. And there is also some fine thoughts behind your Atlanta pick (I'm kinda a fan of Atlanta but trying to be objective when betting) but can't quite agree with you on that *Atlanta will win if they transfer their home form to road* as it's just a bad argument. Best of luck with your picks thou, wouldn't be surprised if they'd all turn out to be winners :hope

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 the thrashers were the only team i had any doubts about, i think a bet for florida isnt a bad bet. but i still stick with my origonal bet. florida's only real strength is thier goaltending, while they have other good players they are mostly slow and aging *roberts and new* and with new out they lose a decent center. and they just played a game together and the thrashers won. i think that sets the tone nicely. i stick with my bet but a bet for florida and auld/belfour is never a wrong bet. :hope

Re: Nhl 10/23/06

florida's only real strength is thier goaltending, while they have other good players they are mostly slow and aging *roberts and new* and with new out they lose a decent center. and they just played a game together and the thrashers won. i think that sets the tone nicely. i stick with my bet but a bet for florida and auld/belfour is never a wrong bet. :hope
Don't mean to insult you or anything but you could do your homework before making up something that is not true: Your info is missleading *Florida's only real strenght is thier goaltending*... thats utter you-know-what. The fact is that it's one of their biggest weaknesses as Belfour has been pretty much awful (last game was ok) and Auld has been mediocore and shaky (...game vs. Caps). As for those strenghts... Florida has the best powerplay in the league which for me atleast count as one. And the home advantage is huge, for example their captain and leading scorer Olli Jokinen has made all of his nine points in home games.

the thrashers were the only team i had any doubts about, i think a bet for florida isnt a bad bet. but i still stick with my origonal bet. florida's only real strength is thier goaltending, while they have other good players they are mostly slow and aging *roberts and new* and with new out they lose a decent center. and they just played a game together and the thrashers won. i think that sets the tone nicely. i stick with my bet but a bet for florida and auld/belfour is never a wrong bet. :hope
Have to agree with FinlandiaFish. Florida has two shaky goaltenders at the moment. Belfour has had his best moments and Auld will never be a starkeeper in my eyes.. Disagree with the fact that Florida's players are mostly old and slow, they have some speed in the team(more than Philly imo..:P) and every player doesn't have to be a speedbomb but you must have speed unless you want to end up like Philly at the moment... Will come with my picks after dinner ;)

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 3 picks for tonight: Atlanta @ Florida, Florida to win 2.1@betfair(ml). They have had a hard time of beating each other away from home and Florida are 4-0-0 at home, so that talks of a home win. Florida's biggest concern is their shaky goaltending that has been up for debate, but if they can keep tight defensively I think that Florida will win this won on the moneyline. Phoenix @ Edmonton, Edmonton to win 1.8@betfair. Going for a straight win for Edmonton, they are a class act at home and they many lines which can score.. So they are a really hard team to beat at home. Phoenix hasn't been as good as I expexted and it seems that their problem is their goaltending.. So Edmonton to win. Buffalo @ Montreal, under 6.5 goals 1.68@betfair. The present of today! :nana h2h shows that their past games have been tight and lowscoring. They both are speedy teams and I think that they will cancel each other out and therefore won't score a lot of goals. they also come from highscoring games so two highscoring games in a row is rare... So this is tonight's banker.. Hopefully..:tongue2 GL all:hope

monday nhl play Monday nhl NHL OT Incl Hockey Dallas Stars 23-October-2006 5:38 PM PST Money Line for Game -175 Record to date: mlb Sides: 17- 13 +7.83 o/u 3-8-1 -5.09 ncaafb Sides 16-15-1 +.90 o/u 3-5 -2.28 nfl Sides 9-2-1 +6.98 o/u 2-2 - .16 nhl sides 10-8 +2.71 Total 116 Bets 10.89 units +9.39% Return

Re: monday nhl play @ rickj Is there a reasoning or system behind your picks mate? If the answer is reasoning then please put down some additional information. Maybe your picks are a good candidate for the Glory Hunters forum? Also, please check if someone else has posted an NHL thread and post there in stead. Moderation: Merged this thread with the existing thread :ok

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 sorry about my lack of reply lol the reason i said that about thier goaltending is that i think auld is a good goalie and isnt as shaky as you think, when he played against the leafs i saw him stop every shot except for one weak wellwood slapshot. best goaltending ive seen in a while. now belfour is definately rusty atm, but if he gets his legs back florida is going to have a strong one two punch there especially if they get into the playoffs. home ice is a definate advantage, but i still think the thrashers will take it.

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 Culumbus - San Jose 2@2,10 8/10 I am going for the Sharks win today. Their results lately are superb. Their loss against Minessota doesnt show that they were superior in the game. They scored only once from 32 shots, while Minessota found the net 4 times from 18 shots. I was especially impressed by their 2-0 win against Dallas. only concern is their h2h. Culumbus won their last two matches, when playing at home with 4-1.

Phoenix @ Edmonton, Edmonton to win 1.8@betfair. Going for a straight win for Edmonton, they are a class act at home and they many lines which can score.. So they are a really hard team to beat at home. Phoenix hasn't been as good as I expexted and it seems that their problem is their goaltending.. So Edmonton to win.
Completely agree with the pick Sorry for my bad English, hope to write more picks during the evening good luck 2 all

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 Gonna add one more pick: Gonna take under 5.5 goals @ 1.79 in Dallas-Vancouver. This pick is based purely on what's happened so far with the 2 teams this year. Dallas have played 8 games with only 2 going over 5.5, and Vancouver have played 9 games with only 2 going over too. I really like Luongo in net for the Canucks, they finally have a top 'tender, and it's shown by his goals against on the road so far ( 3,3,2,2,1,1 ) . Dallas are very sound defensively too, with only one goalfest so far (5-4 against the Hawks) so I feel this will be a tight game decided by the odd goal. Picks: Edmonton @ 1.77 Regulation win 3 Points Atlanta @ 2.20 Regulation win 2 Points Vancouver @ 3.30 Regulation win 1 Point Van/Dallas @ 1.79 Under 5.5 goals 2 Points Good luck everyone :hope Y-T-D 1-1

Florida Panthers @2.50 10/10u - Atlanta Trashers Edmonton Oilers @1.70 10/10u - Phoenix Coyotes Columbus Blues Jackets - San Jose Sharks @2.20 10/10u
Just wanted to say thank you. It's still early days but i followed you on your Florida call and whilst it is only the first period, I am glad I did. Thanks for the write up and picks. You are one to watch and definitaly follow in the future. :cheers

Just wanted to say thank you. It's still early days but i followed you on your Florida call and whilst it is only the first period, I am glad I did. Thanks for the write up and picks. You are one to watch and definitaly follow in the future. :cheers
Yup, a bit too early I'm afraid cuz it looks like Alex Auld is shitting the bed real good :spank EDIT: LOL, now it's 5-2 to ATL after 2nd period. Looks like Auld is hoovering every shot, 9saves 5GA..frigin imbesill. I'm quessing that he is going to be pulled from the net but it's a bit too late.. from 2-0 to 2-5 in that manner, a frigin joke :D

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 just a update and not rubbing anything in, you all made excellent points and validated your bets, dont feel bad they were good bets imho. i went 6/6 in moneyline, and i looked at the under on the dallas game and liked it, and bet it. thanks to the guy who posted it. after 2 days of betting, *didnt bet the 40% day on sat* im 8/8 and up almost 8 units after betting a soccer game as well and making a 1/4 unit after i went 1/2 in soccer lol woot! im gunna make a post for my bets tomorrow too.

just a update and not rubbing anything in, you all made excellent points and validated your bets, dont feel bad they were good bets imho. i went 6/6 in moneyline, and i looked at the under on the dallas game and liked it, and bet it. thanks to the guy who posted it. after 2 days of betting, *didnt bet the 40% day on sat* im 8/8 and up almost 8 units after betting a soccer game as well and making a 1/4 unit after i went 1/2 in soccer lol woot! im gunna make a post for my bets tomorrow too.
Looking very forward to it, hope it keeps up! :loon

Yup, a bit too early I'm afraid cuz it looks like Alex Auld is shitting the bed real good :spank EDIT: LOL, now it's 5-2 to ATL after 2nd period. Looks like Auld is hoovering every shot, 9saves 5GA..frigin imbesill. I'm quessing that he is going to be pulled from the net but it's a bit too late.. from 2-0 to 2-5 in that manner, a frigin joke :D
Doesn't matter, you still did a great job. Someone else posted a strong case against Florida, so they were only in one bet of mine. The Oilers have been the main leg in my bets today, which has caused great celebration. Keep it up guys.

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 Fantastic job everybody, simply put amazing results in NHL tonight :clap Especially liked the work of Willie and effigy on those under bets as in there were good, solid reasoning included. Keep up the good work guys. As for my record, went 2/3 tonight and the one that went wrong was Florida as the Panthers lost 3-6. Just took a look at the game and simply put I think I made the right choice when backing Florida on this one as in you can't predict goaltenders meltdown based on pregame info. Auld truly looked like he couldn't stop any shots in the second period, just awful. So other than that Florida setback it all went okey for me aswell and even managed to make profit. Cheers :ok

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 I really cant believe it. 5/5 in the night session, and the disaster from evening is forgoten. Whats more unbelievable i am 10/10 in the last three days of NHL. Its like before and after commercial, but its true....before i didnt know about this forum i was winning sheate in NHL, but now i cant pick a loser. So thank you all the punters for your opninions and picks.:notworthy

3 picks for tonight: Buffalo @ Montreal, under 6.5 goals 1.68@betfair. The present of today! :nana h2h shows that their past games have been tight and lowscoring. They both are speedy teams and I think that they will cancel each other out and therefore won't score a lot of goals. they also come from highscoring games so two highscoring games in a row is rare... So this is tonight's banker.. Hopefully..:tongue2 GL all:hope
Banker indeed. Great pick my man. I followed on this one, and it paid off handsomly. Congratulations and thank you. :clap

Re: Nhl 10/23/06 Great work in here, guys:ok Got 2 out of 3 :clap but as debated before, Florida lost due to poor goalkeeping... Auld didin't have a great day at work, that's gonna be a problem for Florida this season... they got to keep tight defensively and get saves from their goalies if they want to reach the playoffs. Gonna come back later for my picks.. Keep up the good work:clap