Sunday Times Magazine

BAM

Just been reading a great piece on the 2006 WSOP in this weeks magazine, written by none other than Martin Amis. He entered the main event (courtesy of pokerstars :eyes) and it is his take on Vegas, Poker and the Main Event and he makes comment on how "un-Islamic" the whole thing is and makes references to Al Queda and the Taliban. It is a good insight into the whole madness of the Main Event, it's quite funny, especially the bit about his first hand and worth a read. One passage that stuck in my mind - is when he is surveying the room (or the dining room of a gigaton ocean liner after an invasion by unusually pitiless pirates) as he calls it and he notices how young the field is, full of 12 year old boys or how they appear to him. He calls them the owls of the internet, " poker isn't about cards, says Doyle Brunson, it's about people. But the web rats never meet any people. For them, poker isn't about people. It's about mathematics. They do the reverse implied odds on every pip" Changing times I think, as many threads in this forum have alluded to over the past few weeks/months. It's a simple decision of - go back to the day job or if you can't beat them join them ;) (sorry just realised I've put this in GC if a mod wants to move it to poker please)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.