Form Study

Jonny1723

Hello, I have a few questions on from study, which if it isn't too much trouble I'd appreciate if people can take the time to answer. 1) When do you do your form study ? I assume it's the night before judging by how early some of the selections are up, but I dare say the morning of the meeting would be equally appropriate. Is this simply down to preference ? 2) How long does it take you to study for the next day's selections ? 3) What format does this study take ? I.e. Do you only study certain types of races ? Do you go down all the cards and narrow the races down based on filters ? Do you do every race and then come up with the top rated selections? etc, etc, etc. 4) Do you use a staking plan for your selections ? If so, what are the reasons for this ? 5) What do you use for your study ? RP Website, Sporting Life etc. 6) I assume you back your selections yourself ? If so, do you do certain bet types, i.e. multiples etc ? 7) Given that a lot of the selections are favourites, does this mean that the method of form study is the same as used by odds compilers etc ? If so, how do you maintain an edge ? 8) Are there any particular pieces of advice you could offer to someone like myself ? Apoligies for all the questions, but I'm really keen to become a form student and don't really know where to start. I think these questions will help me greatly. Thanks,

Re: Form Study Hi Jonny I'm still very much learning myself still, but feel I am improving all the time. Each day I make picks is a little more experience, but there is still alot more for me to learn. I often have a look the night before and make a shortlist and then look again in the morning, but it varies. I don't think it matters much unless there is overnight rain or something that may effect the going and ultimatly the picks. As far as a time scale goes it depends, today I only made one pick and didn't look too much. Other days I fancy a few and will look into it a lot more. At the moment I use racing post site, at the races and I've just started looking at Masseys ratings. I do not bet on 2 yr old races personally (unless I hear something ;) ), and am tentative about maiden races also. I just look at form, course and distance records, weight, going, if the horse has a preference to running in big or small fields, the draw etc. I try to find EW value picks mainly but this is not exclusive. To bet on a horse at short odds I have to be very confident. Like I said I'm still learning, and there are some proper pro's on here a lot more knowledgable than me - stick at it. Maybe make picks for a while without betting and gain experience, or look at picks on the forum and listen to reasoning and gather why people have made the picks etc Hope this has been fairly helpful, and good luck :ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.