Rugby League: Super League - Round 28

Here we are folks, it's the last regular season round of Super League, blink and you've missed it!!! Handicaps from betdirect, my predicted hcaps in red! <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Leeds Rhinos v Catalans Dragons +22pts (+26pts)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Wigan Warriors v Hull FC +6pts (+2pts)

Harlequins RL v SalfordCity Reds 0pts (+2pts)

Wakefield Wildcats (-6pts) v Castleford Tigers +8pts (+6pts)

Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls -4pts (-4pts)

Warrington Wolves v St Helens +12pts (+10pts)

As always, all thoughts welcome! More to follow :ok Rugbylad

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 Wigan have won every home game since Stuart Fielden joined. Hull have been on fire for months but the game at Wire last week demonstrated something we can use to bet - they are more concerned with the play offs and avoiding injuries. Wigan off scratch is a nice enough but the hcap is going to be tight.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 Ive been really seduced by the Leeds -22. I should no better. Hull failed to beat the handicap against Catalans onlt 2 weeks ago but they totally didnt play 1st half. Second half they improved marginally better and came within a whisker of the handicap. This week team news reveals a lack of the Quinns bound Rinaldi. Some one who gives their 'attack' a bit of pep. A number of fringe players come in as well for this last game of the season. Leeds for their part see the return of the long missed Maguire. Leeds at full strength surely smarting from lasy weeks drubbing will destoy Catalans. :ok I should no better though......:unsure

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28

Ive been really seduced by the Leeds -22. I should no better. Hull failed to beat the handicap against Catalans onlt 2 weeks ago but they totally didnt play 1st half. Second half they improved marginally better and came within a whisker of the handicap. This week team news reveals a lack of the Quinns bound Rinaldi. Some one who gives their 'attack' a bit of pep. A number of fringe players come in as well for this last game of the season. Leeds for their part see the return of the long missed Maguire. Leeds at full strength surely smarting from lasy weeks drubbing will destoy Catalans. :ok I should no better though......:unsure
No henry, I fully agree with you!!! I am confident Leeds will cover the -22pts asked of them tonight. I know Hull failed to cover this hcap a few weeks back, but Hull could be running out of steam at this crucial stage of the season. I would ignore Leeds' defeat last week against St Helens, when Saints are in that sort of form there is no stopping them. Full preview to follow......

No henry, I fully agree with you!!! I am confident Leeds will cover the -22pts asked of them tonight. I know Hull failed to cover this hcap a few weeks back, but Hull could be running out of steam at this crucial stage of the season. I would ignore Leeds' defeat last week against St Helens, when Saints are in that sort of form there is no stopping them. Full preview to follow......
Crap, I have just realised Millward has tipped Leeds as well :wall

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 Millward's column....

RUGBY BETTING HEADLINES
spacer.gif
75206.jpg
Wakefield - can avoid relegation.
WILDCATS TO CLAIM SURVIVAL By Ian Millward Wakefield v Castleford I have to start with this one with the losers being relegated from the top flight. The Wildcats have beaten the Tigers twice this season and they will be full of confidence given that fact plus home advantage. They have everyone fit and are playing very well. However you never know how the pressure of matches like this one affects players and coaches. Come game day will some people struggle to play their natural game? I was very impressed with the Castleford forwards earlier in the year but they have gone off the boil since and it is very hard to go into a game like this one lacking momentum. Wakefield have it. Because of that and home advantage you have to side with the Wildcats. Castleford will be looking to take points at every opportunity but overall Wakefield look the better side and can win the game and cover the start. Castleford can attack well but they are sometimes guilty of making too many errors and that can prove decisive. Wakefield deserve to stay up given their form towards the end of the season. Leeds v Catalans: Leeds were absolutely disgraceful last week at St Helens, it was the worst peformance I've seen from a Rhinos side. Their kicking game was poor as was their completion rate. It doesn't matter how good a side you are, unless you have the ball and unless your kicking game is on song, you cannot establish good field position and win matches. They are lacking a pack of of forwards at the moment and while Danny McGuire may play this week, he will need a couple of matches to regain his sharpness. That said the Rhinos could have it easy this week. The French side will be a little flat having lost their final home game last weekend and Leeds will want to keep the pressure on them from first whistle to last. They will be too good and can win this one very easily. Take Leeds to cover the start and put 50 points on the visitors but it will be a different matter when they meet the better sides in the play-offs. Wigan v Hull: Hull receive between four and eight points but this is a hard game to call. It means nothing to either side, they cannot improve their league position. Wigan have home advantage and Hull will want the game over as soon as possible so they can get home and prepare for the play-offs. That said you never want to go into the post-season programme on the back of a loss. I think the visitors can win. They haven't been playing well but with a start here they are the ones to be on although it is a match to avoid from a betting perspective. Harlequins v Salford: You have to get on Salford here. If they win the game they finish in fifth spot and that is very important for them. I like the way they are playing, they had a good win against Castleford last week, and are looking good at the right time. This is the home side's last game of the year and they have a few players bidding farewell to the club but Salford should win so are a cracking bet with a start of four points. Huddersfield v Bradford: I favour Huddersfield here. I have been waiting for them to die after the Challenge Cup final but they have won two games in a row which has been a terrific achievement. They have a few players leaving their ranks on Sunday and they will want to sign off in style. Bradford could be without one or two key players here and were awful against Wakefield last week. They have lost their go-forward of late. In recent times they would have been too big and too strong for the Giants and won easily but not any more. I favour the home side, especially with a start. Warrington v St Helens: What does this game mean to St Helens? Nothing. Warrington on the other hand will want to win it. If they finish fifth they play Bradford in the play-offs and the Wolves will fancy their chances of winning that one. If they are sixth they must travel to Headingley knowing the Rhinos recently put 50 points on them. St Helens are very good at the moment and you wouldn't expect them to lose the game but the Wolves with a start on their final home game of the season, just get the vote. Here are my thoughts on this weekend's action in the NRL: St George v Manly: St George had been playing quite poorly over the last five or six weeks but then they produced their best performance of the season to beat Brisbane at the weekend. That was mainly down to the involvement of Wigan-bound Trent Barrett. Mark Gasnier may be a doubt this week with a leg injury but they are a very hard side to beat at home. St George can win and cover the start even if Gasnier misses out. Newcastle v Brisbane: The Knights are without Danny Buderus because of suspension and that throws them into turmoil. It is the equivalent of a Sean Long or Keiron Cunningham being ripped out of the St Helens team. Buderus is the best hooker in the world at the moment. They still have Andrew Johns and a very good pack of forwards though while they will have the most parochial crowd in the NRL behind them. That is always worth points to the Knights. Brisbane like to keep the ball in the forwards and Newcastle can hold them there before Johns directs them to victory. They are the bet of the weekend Down Under for me, especially receiving a small start.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 Rhinos vs Les Catalan Dragons (+22/26pts)

_42076946_leeds_catalans_06.gif

This is one of those games where, no matter how big the handicap is, you always have to fancy Leeds.

Bottom side, Les Catalans have found life tough on the road in their inaugural Super League season, im sure tonight is going to be no exception. I sense an air of uncertainty in their camp with many players playing their last game for the club and others unsure whether they will feature in Mick Potter’s plans for next year. Julien Rinaldi, arguably their most consistent and under-rated French player, has been dropped from the squad following his decision to join Harlequins next season. Dragon’s coach, Mick Potter, has instead decided to call up fringe players Zitter, Touxagas, Sadaoui and Khattabi to face the Rhinos tonight.

Danny, the Dragon slayer, McGuire makes his eagerly awaited return to the Leeds side after missing the last six with a shin injury. This will no doubt lift the spirits of the whole squad and supporters alike and he could be the key to stopping St Helens’ dominance of Super League XI.

Leeds need to go into the playoff rounds with lots of momentum, tonight will be the perfect chance to do so.

Leeds: Donald, Senior, Smith, McGuire, Burrow, Bailey, Diskin, Peacock, Lauitiiti, Ellis, Sinfield, Millard, Jones-Buchanan, Feather, Scruton, Kirke, Gibson, Tansey, Thackray, Toopi.

Catalans: Beattie, Berthezene, Bosc, Casty, Chan, Fakir, Fellous, Frayssinous, Griffi, Guisset, Hindmarsh, Jampy, Jones, Khattabi, Mounis, Murphy, Sadaoui, Touxagas, Verges, Zitter.

Recommendation: Leeds Rhinos -22pts @ 1.90 ladbrokes (3pts)

Prediction – Leeds win by 30+pts

(Scale 1-5pts)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 anyone else like me think that this week they are going to go extra careful? :unsure then what happens i read the forum, and other news sources and i'm tempted all over the place! :lol interesting views on leeds chaps. my worry was that leeds do not need the win. but after the pasting last week at saints, a good win is what leeds will want going into the play-offs. mcguire back in the team would be a bonus. i'm not going to get carried away with him being back though, as players back from injury tend to play a cautious game, especially with the play-offs looming large. oh and leeds brushed aside the challenge of an improving warrington in their last home fixture. so i'm reeled into backing leeds. :loon secondly it seems to be the general concensus that salford will be well up for the game at quins. a reds win will guarantee them 5th place. i'm sure they'd rather be playing bradford than leeds in the play-offs. there's a six point difference in opinion on the handicaps, which is unusual, these days. luke dorn will be playing for salford next season, so it'll be a strange game for him. my only reservations are that my bogey bookie bluesq offer the best handicap and that salford do not have the best of records in london. in fact i seem to recall losing money on them the last time they were in town. :$ there's no doubt that motivation will again play a massive factor in the results this week. i only hope that we can sort the wheat from the chaff. :ok

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 Final scores..... Leeds Rhinos 60 vs 12 Les Catalan Dragons Wigan Warriors 38 vs 16 Hull FC

Rhinos vs Les Catalan Dragons (+22/26pts)

_42076946_leeds_catalans_06.gif

Recommendation: Leeds Rhinos -22pts @ 1.90 ladbrokes (3pts)

Prediction – Leeds win by 30+pts

(Scale 1-5pts)

That will do nicely! :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana

Ive been really seduced by the Leeds -22. I should no better. Hull failed to beat the handicap against Catalans onlt 2 weeks ago but they totally didnt play 1st half. Second half they improved marginally better and came within a whisker of the handicap. This week team news reveals a lack of the Quinns bound Rinaldi. Some one who gives their 'attack' a bit of pep. A number of fringe players come in as well for this last game of the season. Leeds for their part see the return of the long missed Maguire. Leeds at full strength surely smarting from lasy weeks drubbing will destoy Catalans. :ok I should no better though......:unsure
Henry, I hope you followed your instinct with this one :hope

Henry' date=' I hope you followed your instinct with this one :hope[/quote'] I just got back. Id actually placed the bet last night because I was extremely busy today. It went totally to script Im real chuffed. I havent had oppurtunity to read your views before now. Im glad you werent put off by what happened to us with Hull 2 weeks ago. Catalans really are terrible but I like it. :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow

I just got back. Id actually placed the bet last night because I was extremely busy today. It went totally to script Im real chuffed. I havent had oppurtunity to read your views before now. Im glad you werent put off by what happened to us with Hull 2 weeks ago. Catalans really are terrible but I like it. :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow :nana :cow
Great call mate :ok I had an idea of how the game would pan out and every min went according to script. Looking back, it should have been a 4pt bet, but cant grumble. I think my opening line summed up our feelings on this mate.... 'This is one of those games where, no matter how big the handicap is, you always have to fancy Leeds.'

well done henry and rugbylad. top analysis. i'd like to join the celebration...that's me on the end...:D :nana:cow:nana:cow:nana:cow:nana:cow:nana:cow :unsure
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Not sure if i should be the banana or the cow :unsure

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 :nana:nana Just been down to the ground to see if they were any tickets left. only a couple of hundred so I got a pair for the big game tonight. Couldn't give a monkies who goes down as I might not a fan of either, my preference would be wakey though ;) Sorry paul!

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 :rollin:rollin:rollin My dad has just come back from the gym, he goes to the gym just outside Wakefield's ground. He was minding his own business in the Jacuzzi and this fella comes and joins him. After a couple of minutes the fella goes "Who do you think will stay up then today?" My dad " I'm not really that bothered either way, I'm a featherstone fan. But to be honest i'd like to see Castleford stay up as they've only just got promoted. fella "That's fair enough.... do you know who I am?" dad " haven't a clue?" :drums:drums:drums fella "I'm chairman of the wildcats" :rollin:rollin:nana

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol I'll love to see wakey hold up though . Any weather updates ? Seeing that this is a game which determines who wins or loses , i'm tempted to go for the under 42.5 on offer here . Expect a very tight game where one or 2 runs might just settle this game .

:rollin:rollin:rollin My dad has just come back from the gym, he goes to the gym just outside Wakefield's ground. He was minding his own business in the Jacuzzi and this fella comes and joins him. After a couple of minutes the fella goes "Who do you think will stay up then today?" My dad " I'm not really that bothered either way, I'm a featherstone fan. But to be honest i'd like to see Castleford stay up as they've only just got promoted. fella "That's fair enough.... do you know who I am?" dad " haven't a clue?" :drums:drums:drums fella "I'm chairman of the wildcats" :rollin:rollin:nana

:rollin:rollin:rollin My dad has just come back from the gym, he goes to the gym just outside Wakefield's ground. He was minding his own business in the Jacuzzi and this fella comes and joins him. After a couple of minutes the fella goes "Who do you think will stay up then today?" My dad " I'm not really that bothered either way, I'm a featherstone fan. But to be honest i'd like to see Castleford stay up as they've only just got promoted. fella "That's fair enough.... do you know who I am?" dad " haven't a clue?" :drums:drums:drums fella "I'm chairman of the wildcats" :rollin:rollin:nana
Classic!! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin No bet for me....gun to the head it would be Wakefield -6pts. They are a better side and Castleford are prone to mistake when under pressure. Low scoring game? Yes, i say so with the Wildcats running out something like 18-6 winners. Enjoy!!!! :beer

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 28 With Salford losing today, the +12pts on Warrington is ever so tempting! if Warrington win or draw they claim 5th and a tie against out of form Bradford (a side they have beaten twice this year), if they lose they play Leeds, a side they rarely do well against. St Helens have literally, litte to play for. Saints would be foolish to go out all guns blazing which should allow Warrington a real stab at this one. They may not win but staying within 12pts of Saints is tempting (remember the +/- theory). Sorry for the short analysis... Recommendation: Warrington +12pts @ 1.90 Ladbrokes (2pts) Prediction - Warrington win by 4pts (Scale 1-5pts)