IAAF Golden League: Berlin 3/9

Not many odds out yet since theres still a day left til the competition. In the mean time iaaf.org has posted a good preview! :ok:ok:ok Berlin expects 50,000 spectators to witness some thrilling Jackpot events – IAAF Golden League Friday 1 September 2006Berlin, Germany - With six athletes still in the IAAF Golden League Jackpot before (3 Sep) Sunday’s conclusion of the six meeting series, DKB-ISTAF Berlin should see some great events on the blue track of the Olympic Stadium. After Oslo, Paris, Rome, Zurich and Brussels the series will now turn to Berlin. Kenenisa Bekele (Ethiopia/5000m) and Irving Saladino (Panama/Long Jump) have the opportunity to take their fifth win of the series in Berlin, and if they do they will join Asafa Powell (Jamaica/100m), Jeremy Wariner (USA/400m), Sanya Richards (USA/400m) and Tirunesh Diababa (Ethiopia/5000m) who have already accomplished five victories in sharing a purse of $500,000 (for five wins).

spacer.gif spacer.gif
36041_W120XH120.jpg
black_spacer.gif
Tia Hellebaut at the ISTAF press conference (Bob Ramsak )
black_spacer.gif
But Powell, Wariner, Richards and Dibaba each also have the possibility of completing a six win sweep of the series in their respective events if they triumph in the Olympic stadium on Sunday, and so have an additional $500,000 (for six wins) within their grasp. IAAF GL Jackpot 2006 – who is set to win what! “We expect to have six thrilling events concerning the race for the Jackpotâ€, said meeting director Gerhard Janetzky at this afternoon’s press conference. It is also because of the jackpot that the meeting will feature one of the strongest fields in recent years. 32 medal winners from the European Championships in Gothenburg have been signed, among them 15 gold medal winners. “I hope that we will have 50,000 spectators in the Olympic Stadium.†Wariner is focused on his own race not the opposition
spacer.gif spacer.gif
36040_W120XH120.jpg
black_spacer.gif
Kim Gevaert at the ISTAF Press Conference (Bob Ramsak)
black_spacer.gif
“I have great expectations here in Berlin,†confirmed Jeremy Wariner, one of the guest stars at the press conference. “I have run a very good Golden League so far and I want to continue at the ISTAF. I feel fine and have trained well and hard this week. So I hope to get a sub 44 seconds time on Sunday.†Asked about the competition and who he feels could be the strongest competitor for him Wariner said: “I don’t look at the others. I will stay focused on my own race whoever is in this race. And when it comes to home straight I don’t expect many others to be in front of me.†Also he said that he does not think about the money before the race. “I simply want to win – the money will be a bonus afterwards. And I cannot tell you on what I might spend it. Probably I’ll just bring it to the bank.â€
spacer.gif spacer.gif
36042_W120XH120.jpg
black_spacer.gif
Jan Fitschen at the ISTAF Press Conference (Bob Ramsak)
black_spacer.gif
Tough test for double European champion Gevaert The double European sprint champion Kim Gevaert (Belgium) knows that she faces a tough test in the 100m on Sunday. “Sherone Simpson is in great form this season. She constantly puts in great performances with sub 11 seconds times. That is not possible for me. Additionally it is not easy at this stage of the season for the Europeans because our continental championships were hard and took some energy,†said Gevaert. “I must admit that I am a bit tired but nonetheless I will concentrate on my race and should still be able to produce a good result.†Hellebaut – tired but always aiming to give her best It is similar with Tia Hellebaut. Belgium’s surprise European high jump champion said: “The European Championships and the celebrations afterwards were quite tiring. But it is always my aim to jump well. And I was very happy to have won last Friday in Brussels in front of the home crowd – they were fantastic. In fact we had the same podium as in Gothenburg: I won while Venelina Veneva came second and Kajsa Bergqvist took third. So we will see what happens on Sunday.†Germany’s European gold parade Spectators in Berlin will see three of the four German gold medal winners of the European Championships on Sunday. 10,000 m winner Jan Fitschen will run the 3000m, while Ralf Bartels (Shot Put) and Steffi Nerius (Javelin) will compete as well. Only marathon runner Ulrike Maisch will naturally be absent. “Originally I had planned to start my holiday after the European Championships,†said Jan Fitschen. “But by winning the gold medal these plans were stopped. I could not resist the offer of the ISTAF to come here and run in an event which they added exclusively for me. I cannot promise anything since I had a cold. But my form is gradually coming back and hope to be able to show a good race.†So far Fitschen has a personal best of 7:46.26 minutes at the 3000m. That makes him the fourth fastest in Sunday’s field. Jörg Wenig for the IAAF

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.