Dirty Poker

mcgin

Just finished reading this book by Richard Marcus. Anyone else read it? It's about cheating in poker. Alot of the stuff in the book is complete sensationalist trash (Colluders being able to take down the WSOP for instance) but a couple of things I found interesting. Collusion He talks about live & online collusion quite a bit, and to be honest I think this is probably the only real cheating that goes on today in poker. Anyone had any experiences of being on the end of collusion? I know I can't say I have, but is that to say I haven't been colluded against, I doubt it (I have seen the odd bit of chip dumping in a tournament). I would say (in my opinion) this has to be rife in online poker, simply because of the amount of money in poker today, and it is so easy to open up multiple accounts etc., and the punishments are next to nothing if you get caught. I think I'll be keeping an eye out in the future, and might even take the time to have a look through my Poker Tracker & Office DB's to see if theres any evidence of it. Peeker Software This one I was intrigued about. Now it was obvious from the passage in the book on this that he's full of sh1t and has never seen this in action, cos if he had and wanted to talk about it he would have spent more then a couple of pages on it since it is pretty big news, and you can be pretty sure whoever was using the software would hunt him down & sort him out if it were true. But does anyone believe this has/will be done? It's definitly possible, but would require either an insder in the development of the software, or some fairly heavy duty hacking ability. (BTW Peeker software allows you to view the cards of everyone at the table in online card rooms)

Re: Dirty Poker

Peeker Software This one I was intrigued about. Now it was obvious from the passage in the book on this that he's full of sh1t and has never seen this in action, cos if he had and wanted to talk about it he would have spent more then a couple of pages on it since it is pretty big news, and you can be pretty sure whoever was using the software would hunt him down & sort him out if it were true. But does anyone believe this has/will be done? It's definitly possible, but would require either an insder in the development of the software, or some fairly heavy duty hacking ability. (BTW Peeker software allows you to view the cards of everyone at the table in online card rooms)
It's technically possible but it would involve knowing the IP addresses of everybody at the table, and having a program running on each of their pcs, and possibly having access the encryption key/code/password they have set for the program. Highly unlikely to happen. It could be used is by people that are directly colluding anyway though, to enable one person to see all of the hole cards & make choices about which hands to play.

Re: Dirty Poker

It's technically possible but it would involve knowing the IP addresses of everybody at the table, and having a program running on each of their pcs, and possibly having access the encryption key/code/password they have set for the program. Highly unlikely to happen. It could be used is by people that are directly colluding anyway though, to enable one person to see all of the hole cards & make choices about which hands to play.
What about intercepting (and more importantly being able to decrypt) outgoing traffic from pokersite.com?