Restrictions on the naming of horses ??

Does anyone know what restrictions there are on the naming of horses and who enforces them ? For example if I got a horse and raced it could it be named "Tony Blair is a prize c*ck" for example ? I would guess not as some people may be offended by that. But how about "Red Rum" ? Nothing offensive there but a lot of people might object to that name being used again. Has the name Red Rum been reserved for ever then as a name that cannot be re-used (perhaps by the racing board / Jockey club perhaps) ?? Be interested to know what the rules are. Did try a search on Google for it but couldn't find anything.

Re: Restrictions on the naming of horses ??

Does anyone know what restrictions there are on the naming of horses and who enforces them ? For example if I got a horse and raced it could it be named "Tony Blair is a prize c*ck" for example ? I would guess not as some people may be offended by that. But how about "Red Rum" ? Nothing offensive there but a lot of people might object to that name being used again. Has the name Red Rum been reserved for ever then as a name that cannot be re-used (perhaps by the racing board / Jockey club perhaps) ?? Be interested to know what the rules are. Did try a search on Google for it but couldn't find anything.
Red Rum spelt backwards is Murder, so what was the owner thinking, i wonder? horses like Betty Swollocks etc were banned, one of the best to get through the system was Mary Hinge (geddit!):clap , hoofhearted was banned also. The name has to be registered with Weatherbys & i doubt that Red Rum etc could be used again. Some names have been duplicated over the years & i dont know why, but the greats of Best Mate, Sea Pidgeon etc will not be used especially in some banded race at Wolves!

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.