Show me the money

slick mick

Ok after playing freerolls and small buy in tournaments for a year with a fair bit of success I'm thinking of moving to the cash tables. I think my game has improved to the point where I should be able to hold my own and my occasional mistakes won't be as hurtful on a cash table as on a final table after two or three hours play. What I'd like is some recommendations on where to play, what levels, what sort of bonuses are available etc. At the mo I'm looking at pokerstars who have a 100% bonus for first time depositors. Any advice would be welcome especially on the different nature of cash games a sopposed to tourneys. Btw my bank is approximately $1000 spread over various sites which I will consolidate through neteller.

Re: Show me the money Slick, Mansion have been good for me for cash games, but start slowly, bankroll fluctuations can be severe so limit what you can lose, once you've doubled or trebled up leave the table and go back in with a normal starting amount. Don't worry about losing what you start with, you will generally get it back) I'd also say that there are big differences between short handed tables and full 9/10 man tables (although that rake is more lucrative on the latter) but play both and you'll find out which type of table you're more comfortable with. Don't gat carried away, 25c/50c tables are good earners and can get reasonable hauls there should be no need to go above this unless you're planning to have a float of $50 or more which your willing to throw away.

Re: Show me the money hmmmm, Bonus. We ought to have a thread dedicated to sign up bonus I think ! Crypto logic sites (will hill, interpoker littlewoods, betfair etc) usually have an easily acheived sign up bonus. The mpps you collect whilst playing you can put toward tourney entries - they also have the advantage of being very fishy and having lots of games at lower limits. The standard of play is some of the worst I've ever seen. Play enough hours on their tables andyou get a sort of rakeback too Ladbrokes has a good sign up bonus - you also get a free $25 for just submitting a profile to them and they're currently offering a free 100% sign up bonus for the up to $100. You don't get anything else for your money whilst playing there. Full tilt has a great bonus up to 100% of $500 if I remember right but the cash players aren't bad even at even at microlimits Sporting odds and poker .co.uk have a good sign up bonus - I don't play there so I can't really comment on it. Various prima sites have deposit and playthrough bonus. Theres not always the most action I've ever seen on their cash tables and sometimes their bonus can be quite difficult to acheive ( and I can tell you - a bonus whore like me has tried just about everywhere :eyes) If I were you I migh stick $50 in a couple of accounts and see how you get on while trying to fulfill your bonuses. I agree with 6ooner to start at small levels (you can still make a lot of money, believe me) because in cash games variance can be very very high

Re: Show me the money Mick, hopefully I'm going to tell you what you know already... :unsure You say you have a grand in various sites that you plan to consolidate. You also say you're looking for a poker home where you plan to start playing the cash tables. Surely the place/network where you have already won most of your 'roll in freerolls will be the best place to at least start your foray into playing cash? No disrespect to anyone who says 'play on sp.odds or Mansion or Poker stars' but they can only really confirm that the cash tables are good for them. Wherever you've won most of your 'roll will be where you feel (a) most comfortable, and (b) most confident. Also if you're playing at the lower levels then its highly likely you'll come across the same players you've beaten in tournies. In fact, when you start, why not try and win the money you plan to deposit on other sites from the site you know best? If you plan to deposit $100 on Poker stars, then why not take $10 to the cash tables at puntersloungepoker and win your Poker stars bankroll? Just my thoughts mate, hope you understand, I'm off to Jarrow now anyway. :ok

Re: Show me the money

hmmmm, Bonus. We ought to have a thread dedicated to sign up bonus I think ! Crypto logic sites (will hill, interpoker littlewoods, betfair etc) usually have an easily acheived sign up bonus. The mpps you collect whilst playing you can put toward tourney entries - they also have the advantage of being very fishy and having lots of games at lower limits. The standard of play is some of the worst I've ever seen. Play enough hours on their tables andyou get a sort of rakeback too Ladbrokes has a good sign up bonus - you also get a free $25 for just submitting a profile to them and they're currently offering a free 100% sign up bonus for the up to $100. You don't get anything else for your money whilst playing there. Full tilt has a great bonus up to 100% of $500 if I remember right but the cash players aren't bad even at even at microlimits Sporting odds and poker .co.uk have a good sign up bonus - I don't play there so I can't really comment on it. Various prima sites have deposit and playthrough bonus. Theres not always the most action I've ever seen on their cash tables and sometimes their bonus can be quite difficult to acheive ( and I can tell you - a bonus whore like me has tried just about everywhere :eyes) If I were you I migh stick $50 in a couple of accounts and see how you get on while trying to fulfill your bonuses. I agree with 6ooner to start at small levels (you can still make a lot of money, believe me) because in cash games variance can be very very high
EDIT. Also, if you plan to play cash games at all regularly, it might be an idea to make an investment in pokertracker with some of your profits and my only advice when playing cash tables is be Tight Aggressive, use your common sense and don't try and bluff too much whilst playing the lower limits. I can guarantee someone will call. Which is brilliant if you have the nuts but not good if they can beat you with their 97o.

Re: Show me the money Sporting odds would be my recommendation as well. Mind you I only tend to occasionally play the el cheapo fixed limit tables to qualify for the daily 50-up club game and potentially (if you get in top 5 of any of these) the $2500 monthly freeroll. I find you can quickly assemble 50 raked hands even at the 0.25/0.50 tables ... and if you use the turkish currency tables your money should stretch further and allow a better rake percentage compared to stakes. Couple those games to the rake return (if unlike me you play enough hands) and the speed of clearing the bonus and you have a great deal. Downside is its Boss which hasn't had the best stability record recently.

Re: Show me the money Would agree one of the boss providers is the best place to go, I haven't found a weaker game anywhere. One word of advice though, if you're planning on playing the lowest stakes you can find, like 5/c10c, only play NL - I don't think it's possible to make money long term at FL in these games, you can beat the game but not the rake. If you want to play FL find somewhere that doesn't rake micro tables, eg paradise.

Re: Show me the money I was in your position to Slick Mick. That was until I got a rush of blood and lumped all my poker pot on to Sweden at half time against Trinidad and Tobago. :( Spent a good 6 months building it up as well. Back to the drawing board.

Re: Show me the money I don't play cash games much at all but seeing your post, the fact that I'm off work, and the pending bonus in my SO account I decided to give the $0.10/$0.20 FL tables a try. I've played for about 2 hours and have claimed $30 in bonuses, entrance into 2 freerolls (50 Up Club & $20,000 Qualifier) and a couple of $ from winning at the tables. To be honest I don't think you can make much money playing these tables and I will stop once I've got all $100 of my bonus (probably move onto Virgin next). When you hit a hand you get callers but the fixed limit stops you taking them to the cleaners, and, all too often they call all the way with crap and hit something on the river. Don't waste your chips trying to bluff. A profitable day but only because of the bonuses.