Progressive BadBeat tables - A theory

mcgin

Well I did something I would normally never do today. I played on the progressive bad beat jackpot tables on Prima. Now, I have a theory that the standard of play on these tables is lower then on normal tables. Why you ask? Well its simple really, anyone who plays poker seriously should not stand for the extra money they siphon off the top to fund the jackpot since your chances of winning any portion of it are so low. So I think the people playing on those tables are the type of people who enter lotteries, play slot machines etc. in the hope of a big pay off. Not the type of people who grind out a nice profit in the long run playing solid poker. So the big question is, is the standard so low (if my theory is correct) that it makes up for the siphoning done by the poker rooms? I intend to play a bit more often on these tables to see for myself, but day 1 certainly seems to prove the point, I was the only profitable player on my table after 1.5 hours of play (there were about 4 other players on the table that were there for that long too). Anyone else fancy checking it out to see what they think? Might also be worth bearing in mind the jackpot size, its currently $50K

Re: Progressive BadBeat tables - A theory you might wanna spend a while watching the tables before you join them, some might have a pro or elite waiting for the jackpot too. personally, until i'm beaten with quads, i'm not going to play them, since its never happened in my 2 years of play

Re: Progressive BadBeat tables - A theory Distribution of the payout as follows:

• 70% is distributed as winnings:
    • 50% to the losing hand, the Bad Beat
    • 25% to the winner of the hand
    • 25% evenly split between the other Players who actively participated in the hand

[*]20% is used to seed the next Jackpot [*]10% is used for administration

To your point about it being value GaF, according to the wizard of odds (http://wizardofodds.com/holdem/badbeat.html) while your expected value increases with the jackpot in play (One example given is whre there are 2 jackpots - if the jackpots were exactly $100,000 and $10,000, and the required four of a kind is four tens, and there are 8 players at the table the expected value per player per round would be 2.5606 cents.) You have to pay 50 cents (not on every hand admittedly) enough times to completely negate that 2 cents.

Re: Progressive BadBeat tables - A theory

• 70% is distributed as winnings:
    • 50% to the losing hand, the Bad Beat
    • 25% to the winner of the hand
    • 25% evenly split between the other Players who actively participated in the hand

[*]20% is used to seed the next Jackpot [*]10% is used for administration

So it looks as though in the long run they return 87.5% of what is put into the jackpot. They take 10%, but another 20% goes into the next pool, of which they take 10%, but another 20% goes into the next pool, ...