The 2000 Guineas Thread

Selection - City Of Troy each way. Prices - Available at around 16-1 to 20-1 with most firms but 25-1 with Paddy Power. Confidence - 7 out of 10 Reasoning: City of Troy has twice looked impressive when quickening in races that have been run at a good pace and the Guineas should be run in the same way. Fallon rode it at Doncaster and sat it in behind and for a while looked like it was going to be blocked in. Eventually a slight gap came and it quickened well to get up on the line. Fallon was delayed in getting the horse out due to it being stuck in behind but it finished well to just deny Art Deco. He will resume the partnership in the Craven Stakes on Thursday and if it wins that race the odds will tumble so i'll be getting on now at a nice price. The Racing Post made the following comments after the Royal Lodge Stakes (GROUP 2) at Newmarket: "City Of Troy has shown his best coming off a strong pace and in a more tactical affair here was not seen to best effect. He has suffered from plenty of hype from two visually impressive bursts of speed in races that have yet to be franked for solid form." City Of Troy finished 4th in this race 2 lengths behind Palace Episode which was 3rd. Palace Episode then went on to win the Racing Post Trophy (GROUP 1) at Doncaster (albeit on heavy ground) with the odds-on Septimus (AP O Brien and K Fallon) back in 3rd. How about that for franking form? There are plenty of hype horses in the guineas and plenty of short prices but I think City Of Troy is some value at 25-1. I would expect Robert Winston to probably ride it in the guineas as Fallon will be on Aidan O Briens favourite. It's a horse that knows how to win and can quicken when asked the question. The price makes it a value each way bet because if George Washington is as good as expected it shouldn't get beat but I wouldn't want to back a horse at 2-1 for this race.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.