Rugby League: Super League - Round 7

Hi guys, handicaps for Round 7 of Super League below….<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Braford Bulls vs <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Wigan Warriors (+20pts)

Hull FC vs St Helens (-8pts)

Les Catalan Dragons vs SalfordCity Reds (-8pts)

Harlequins RL vs Leeds Rhinos (-16pts)

Castleford Tigers vs Huddersfield Giants (-4pts)

Wakefield Wildcats vs Warrington Wolves (Scr)

All thoughts welcome ;)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 Not confident of Saints to win at Hull. We have a pig awful record there and always seem to struggle. Don't fancy Wigans chances at Bradford of beating the handicap let alone on level terms! Impressed with Salford this season and they can win in France for me and win well too.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7

The standout at the moment for me Wakey v Wire off levels' date=' got to get on Warrington surely?[/quote'] Wouldn't be so sure about that. It looks like we have Solomona and Jefferies injured, 2 big players for us, BUT and it's a big but, we have players who can step up and rise to the challenge. Some fans are suggesting that this could be just the kick up the arse we need as we've become over-reliant on Sol to do something. I think Wakefield will win this one, and win well. Am I confident enough to put my money where my mouth is? Hell no!:lol

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 I actually fancy Wigan with such a big H'cap. They are bound to turn their form around some time and a big games against Bradford might just do that. Plus Bradford arn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment. I still think Cas are a poor team. Huddersfield -4 is very good value IMO. As for the others, I think I might be as good to stay away from them. But I probably won't in the end.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 Bet Direct changed h'cap to -8(10/11) for Huddersfield,unfortunately.Well done for those who took -4 early doors.I only do doubles+,and didn't have strong enough fancy for anyone else,so paying price for dithering,as usual!! They have,tough,also changed Salford to -6(10/11) from -8,which is a tempter?

Done this as a treble with Skybet:Salford-4' date='Wakefield+4 and Huddersfield-4(all at 10/11).Not confident,after last weekend's fickle results! :tongue2[/quote'] Good luck Bobbyhead, nice to see you posting on the RL threads. Think you have picked 3 decent handicaps here....all the best!! :ok

Good luck Bobbyhead, nice to see you posting on the RL threads. Think you have picked 3 decent handicaps here....all the best!! :ok
Thanks RL.Wasn't going to bother this weekend,after wretched spell to date with S'league this season,but liked these margins a lot.Exactly,what i thought last week...! Looking forward to your previews,as i think we all do!

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 Doesn't look good for Wigan does it? JONKERS JOINS WIGAN ON LOAN Ian Millward, coach of crisis club Wigan, has been scouring the National League for players to help him field a team to take on engage Super League champions Bradford on Friday. Millward will give a debut to former St Helens second rower Tim Jonkers at Odsal after taking him on a month's loan from Salford but he maintained he was down to just 15 fit players today. Jonkers, who won a Grand Final ring under Millward at St Helens, has made just one appearance for Salford so far this season but will bolster a Wigan pack depleted by injuries to Iafeta Paleaaesina, Gareth Hock, Scott Logan and Harrison Hansen. Millward, whose side are next to bottom after just one win from their opening six matches, failed in a bid to sign Castleford prop Keith Mason and has now extended his search as far as National League Two for both long and short-term recruits. "Tim will provide another body within our squad and will be with us for four weeks," said Millward. "He's a good professional who gets about his work very well. "He hasn't been getting any game time at Salford and we're desperate for players. We've been scouring the market pretty comprehensively over the last three days. "We've been looking at National League One and National League Two. I've had a knock-back from one club. I'm conscious that next week they've got the Challenge Cup. "It's been a good exercise for us to look at talent to pursue during the year with a view to 2007 because you need depth in your squad. "I've got a list of names and I'll be looking to earmark a couple and work with them for 12 months to make them become Super League players." Wigan's injury problems worsened during Sunday's 38-18 defeat at Castleford. Logan, who underwent surgery on his fractured cheekbone today, will be out for six to eight weeks, while Hansen could be sidelined for up to three months with a broken ankle and damaged ligaments. Under Super League regulations, Millward has named an 18-man squad for Friday's game but revealed today that hooker Wayne Godwin is ill and two other unnamed players are carrying injuries. "I can tell you what my 15 are," he said. "I have just got to try and find two more players. "We've got a really young under-21s (team) and it's a really tough ask to put 18-year-olds out at Bradford. Some of them are not ready physically but, if we have to, we will." Meanwhile, Millward says Mason is "upset" after St Helens thwarted his proposed move to the JJB Stadium. Wigan agreed terms with both Castleford and the player for a loan deal but St Helens, who hold the player's registration, blocked the move. "I feel sorry for Keith," said Millward. "He's not wanted at Saints and he can't get a game at Cas. "All the kid wants to do is play rugby league and he's being stopped from doing that. He's quite emotionally upset about it. "If they (Saints) think he's such a good player, they should ask him back and put him in there."

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 Must admit I really fancy Leeds (-18pts) this weekend......I know its not advised to back sides with big (-) handicaps away from home, but I cant see it going any other way. Harlequins have the worst home record in Super League with no wins yet at the Stoop. Futhermore their injury worries are far worse than Wigan's. Look at this for a injury list: Jon Wells, Rob Purdham, Rikki Sheriffe, Paul Sykes, Mark McLinden, Solomon Haumono, Pat Weisner, Zebastian Luisi, Karl Temata and Lee Hopkins. Leeds should be fielding a strong squad which includes the return of GB skipper, Jamie Peacock. Their only adsentee is second rower Jamie Jones-Buchanan. Skybet and betdirect go Leeds -18pts, VC have opened at -22pts, I can see other firms going around 22pts to be fair. Any other thoughts on this. http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/06/03/22/RUGBYL_Harlequins_Nightlead.html

Boyles and Betfred also go -18.Is it THAT nailed on? Lost my confidence in recent weeks' date=':unsure[/quote'] It's never nailed on, but with the long list of injuries Quins have and the fact Rhinos may well have got a bit of kick up the backside after playing Salford, it's as good as it's going to get.

It's never nailed on' date=' but with the long list of injuries Quins have and the fact Rhinos may well have got a bit of kick up the backside after playing Salford, it's as good as it's going to get.[/quote']Agree.I'm on board! :hope

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 He still finds time to write these things, despite his club being in crisis...:lol Here are Ian Millward views on this weeks' games, hopefully these will add fuel to the fire on the RL thread

RUGBY LEAGUE NEWS
spacer.gif
51610.jpg
Millward - fancies a Salford win (Getty Images).
SALFORD TO SLAY DRAGONS By Ian Millward My Wigan side are down to our bare 15 for this week's game at Bradford so we have picked up Tim Jonkers. He is a former St Helens player who is currently with Salford and he can't get a run out because of the good form of that team. We have taken him on a four-week loan to hopefully take some pressure off us in terms of injuries. We have also signed Oliver Wilkes on a two-year contract from Whitehaven . He is a player we have been tracking and we have decided to move quickly because of our injuries and to increase the depth of the squad. Both will play and start at Bradford. We face the world champions - that tells you how high the mountain is - but we have trained really well through the week. We are going there to win and we have a plan to win and we will be disappointed if we lose. This season, if we had a Super League based on the first half we would be undefeated. It has been in the second period that we have fallen away. If we can get some consistency and play as a unit on a regular basis we will be fine. Here are my thoughts on the rest of the weekend's games: Hull v St Helens Saints are in fantastic form at the moment and their attack is very enterprising. Hull have a few injury problems at the moment and have not been playing as well as they could. They have had two tough games though recently. But I always feel that you should have some money on Hull when they get a start at home as they are so hard to beat there. It was a good win for them last week at Wakefield and I think they can cause St Helens some problems with a start. Catalans Dragons v Salford I don't think that six points is enough of a start for the French side. The reason it is so low is because they had a very good victory at Warrington last week. If Salford play anywhere near the level of the first six games they will win this and cover the handicap easily. They only conceded a total of 20 points last week at Leeds and the final six were in the closing couple of minutes. So I expect them to do the business. Harlequins v Leeds Harlequins get a big start (over 20 points) at home and that is the hard thing for punters. They are poor at home but better away and do have some injury problems. They have a lack of consistency with the ball and are doing too much defence, which is working on their energy levels. I am going to stick my neck out and say Leeds will win this game and cover the big handicap. Castleford v Huddersfield Cas tried very hard last week but they have lost Danny Sculthorpe, one of their best ball-players in attack. They had all the ball against my Wigan side and took advantage of it. But I do like Huddersfield here. Their win over Harlequins will give them confidence and they seem that bit more consistent. They have players who can get involved in the 'arm-wrestle' more with Cas. Wakefield v Warrington Even though the Wildcats have lost their last two games, I have thought they are not far off a win. The Wolves were disappointing last week and I have spoken to coach Paul Cullen since. He said he was going to make a couple of changes and bring some young players in. It will be tough for them though as Wakefield is a difficult venue to travel to. So you would have to say that the home team will win this one on the handicap.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 Should add some relevant news I suppose:) Steve Ferres is back at Wakey as chief exec. Can't see him having much of an impact this week but the guy knows how to run a rugby club and is very well connected. I expect us to make 1 or 2 decent signings in the coming weeks and daresay we will not go down with him in charge.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 My thoughts on Tomorows betting Hull v Saints (-6/8) Taking -6/8 are very tricky h'caps in games such as this because it means Saints have to win by (at least) two clear try's. Although they are more than capable of doing that fixtures like this often throw up some strange results. I can't see Saints being beaten here though to be honest, they're clearly the best team in the league at the moment and will want to preserve theire 100% record.. 2/5 with Willhills is the value for me here. Recommended: Saints 2/5 to win Outright (Hills/Bluesq) Strength: 9/10 My bets: Saints to win outright. Bradford v Wigan (+20) I seem to be going against the grain here but I fancy Wigan with this h'cap. They've made a couple of dodgy signings, they're down to the bare bones of the squad and their form is terrible but every team bounces back sooner or later and a big game at Bradford might just spur Wigan on to put in a good performence at least. Recommended: Wigan +20 10/11 (various) Strength: 3/10 My bets: Above.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 Bradford Bulls vs Wigan Warriors (+18/20pts)

_41472758_brad_wigan_06.gif

Wigan’s build up to this match has received a lot of media interest, which has probably encouraged people to back against them this weekend at Odsal. However 20pts is still a big handicap for the Bulls to cover, despite all the problems the Warriors have had this season.

This year, Bradford have been out of sorts at home, drawing with Harlequins and a far from convincing performance over Hull and without Paul Deacon, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a similar Bradford tomorrow night, maybe only winning this one by 8 to 10 points.

Wigan have had to make some hurried signings in the forwards, bringing in Tim Jonkers from Salford and Oliver Wilkes from NL1 side Whitehaven, these guys must gel as a unit, and fast. Still, having said all that, Wigan still do have quality throughout their backline with; Calderwood, Vaealiki, Moran, Dallas, Tickle and Richards, these guys are no rookies and certainly know how to win rugby matches.

No bet for me as Wigan are so unpredictable, they will either come close or end up losing this one by 30+pts….but, I agree with Sandbag and feel that this one will be closer than many expect.

Bradford: Withers, Bai, Harris, Hape, Vainikolo, Harris, Vagana, Henderson, Mckenna, Lynch, Gene, Langley, Pryce, Watene, Ferres, Cook, Fielden, St Hilaire.

Wigan: Ashton, Calderwood, Vaealiki, Richards, Dallas, Orr, Moran, Higham, Hargreaves, Tickle, O'Loughlin, Fletcher, Seu Seu, Godwin, Tomkins, Prescott, Jonkers, TBC.

Recommendation – No bet

Expect a Bradford win, but not by +20pts (Bradford win by 8/10pts)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 7 Hull FC vs St Helens (-6/10pts) _41472822_hull_st_helens_06.gif Probably going against the grain with this one aswell....

I think Saints’ 100% record to Super League XI is seriously under threat tomorrow night against a rejuvenated Hull side.

I am tempted by the +10pts given to the home side who welcome back the likes of Nathan Blacklock and Ewan Dowes into the squad that beat the Wildcats last weekend.

Saints are at near full strength, but will have to do some re-shuffling at fullback (Pryce or Hardman) for the injured Paul Wellends (if Daniel Anderson could choose one player to stay injury free, it would, no doubt, be Paul Wellens), it will be interesting to see how they cope without him.

Futhermore Saints have a terrible record at the KC Stadium, 5 games, 5 defeats…..30-6, 42-18, 34-6, 44-6, 34-8, I am not one to get hooked on stats but this has got to play on the Saints players minds.

No bets in this one for me but Hull could cause an upset. More thoughts welcome

Hull: Blacklock, Briscoe, Brough, Carvell, Chester, Cooke, Domic, Dowes, Hill, R. Horne, King, Lupton, Radford, Raynor, Thackray, Tony, Whiting, Yeaman.

St Helens: Gardner, Lyon, Talau, Meli, Pryce, Long, Cunningham, Cayless, Wilkin, Sculthorpe, Roby, Bennett, Hooper, P. Anderson, V. Anderson, Graham, Hardman, Fa'asavalu.

Recommendation – Hull to win match @ 3.50 ladbrokes (0.5pts)

Recommendation – Hull +10pts @ 1.90 ladbrokes (1pt)

Prediction – Hull win by 4/6pts

Should add some relevant news I suppose:) Steve Ferres is back at Wakey as chief exec. Can't see him having much of an impact this week but the guy knows how to run a rugby club and is very well connected. I expect us to make 1 or 2 decent signings in the coming weeks and daresay we will not go down with him in charge.
VERY GOOD appointment, i wanted him down at Fev. He won;t make an impact this season Paul, but expect gates to be up 1,000-2000 at least by the end of the season however well you are doing :clap