Rugby League: Super League - Round 4

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 I didn't post his thoughts last week, but here are Millward's previews for this weeks fixtures..... I am a bit worried as he seems to fancy the same bet as me... normally a bad sign :) Bradford -14pts..... Read on folks....I will post my previews in the morning.

millwardwiganpress.jpg
Millward - predicts Huddersfield victory.
Hull v Harlequins I am starting to get suspicous that Harlequins are going to do what they did two years ago, win their away matches and struggle at home. This season they took a point off Bradford at Odsal but have disappointed in front of their own fans against St Helens and Wakefield. Hull will be smarting from last week's defeat at Warrington where they seemed to have the game won during the first-half. They will probably win this one but Harlequins with a start of 16 points could be the call. Leeds v Castleford This is always a fiercely-fought derby and Castleford with a start of 32 points is the choice for me. Leeds will win but Castleford's win last week will give them confidence while the Rhinos have had two very tough games against Wigan and St Helens. They may struggle to cover all areas here. Warrington v St Helens You always have to respect Warrington at home - look at last week's defeat of Hull - and they will fancy their chances against St Helens. I coached against them in this fixture twice last season and on both occasions the Wolves lost on the bell. They will gain confidence from last week and while St Helens are going very well, I take Warrington with an eight-points start. Catalans Dragons v Bradford Bulls I have watched videos of the Dragons against Salford and Castleford in the last two weeks and they are a pale imitation of the side who beat Wigan in the opening game. The absence of Stacey Jones has thrown them into chaos and on recent evidence you would expect Bradford to put a cricket score on them. The French side will be desperate to bounce back but I can't see anything other than a comfortable Bulls win. (I completely agree with this one) Wakefield v Huddersfield The Giants receive a four-points start here but I expect them to win the game in any case. They played well in the second-half at Wigan last week and are a side who will cause Wakefield plenty of problems. While the Wildcats are hard to beat at home, Huddersfield have a great record there and that can continue with two points on Saturday. Ian Millward was speaking to Dave Ord

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4

Wakefield/Hudds now available off scratch with Bluesq. All others are now going +/-4. Defininitely no bet there for me now:sad
Same here mate, both side's form has been up and down so far. I hope and expect a Wakefield victory though :D

Same here mate, both side's form has been up and down so far. I hope and expect a Wakefield victory though :D
IMO whoever wins this is showing real top-6 credentials. Especially with Wigan being out of sorts.

Friday 3 March 2006
HomeDrawAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
sp.gifHull v Harlequins RL (20:00 GMT)1.1934.007.00sp.gif102%
sp.gifLeeds v Castleford (20:00 GMT)1.0351.0021.00sp.gif104%
sp.gifSalford v Wigan (20:00 GMT)3.7523.001.41sp.gif102%
sp.gifWarrington v St Helens (20:00 GMT)3.5023.001.43sp.gif103%
sp.gifSaturday 4 March 2006
HomeDrawAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
sp.gifLes Catalans Dragons v Bradford (18:00 GMT)8.0034.001.17sp.gif101%
sp.gifWakefield v Huddersfield (18:00 GMT)1.7223.002.37sp.gif105%

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 I think you have to go with Warrington to beat Saints with a +8 start this week. Saints are without Scully & James Graham through suspension and Nicky Fozzard who's injured. They can call upon the mighty fine Vinnie Anderson for the first team this season but he won't be upto speed as yet. Martin Gleeson and Lee Briers will be fired up against their old side and of late these games have been tight affairs. Wire bounced back well from a shocking start against Hull and ran riot in the second half to register their first win. Saints should win but it's an ask for them to beat the handicap away from Knowsley Road.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 These are my thoughts on tonights game Warrington v Saints (-6) Think i'll stay away from this handicap as although I think Saints will probably win it may well be close. Instead I thought i'd take a slightly different angle on it and try my luck. My Bets: (Little stakes) Saints (-4) to be winning at half time (10/11) and Saints to win by a 6-10 point margain (9/2). Leeds (-28) v Castleford I took Leeds in this as soon as they published the odds. I may be jumping in head first because not many people seem to agree with me but I think this is a great handicap. Saints beat Cas by 36 points I don't see why Leeds couldn't do the same. I also wanted to bet on there being more than 50 points (or whatever they offered) but i can't find the odds anywhere. My Bets: Leeds (-28) top beat Cas (10/11). Hull (-14) v Quins Harlequins are a bit of an unknown team in super league this season i promised myself I would avoid them but I might just be tempted to have a little dabble on Hull at -14. Ian Millward doesn't agree with this but Hull will want to bounce back from the Warrington game and show that they've got real top 3 credentials. My bets: Hull (-14) to beat Quins (10/11) Salford (+10) v Wigan (-8) Mixed starts for both teams. Great win for Wigan against Huddersfield but Salford look alot better team than last season. I think the result and the handicap could go either way to be honest. If there was ever a a bet to make in this match to me it would be Salford to win the match outright at 11/4. No bets. GL everyone.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Rhinos vs Castleford Tigers (+28/32pts) _41379792_leeds_castle_06.gif Again we have had a mixed bag of opinions for this all Yorkshire derby. 32 points is a big handicap, but there is no team more determined and capable, than Leeds, of inflicting such a heavy defeat on the Tigers.

Leeds haven’t got out of second gear so far this season, but Tony Smith will see this as the perfect opportunity to start off winning run with a convincing victory.

Castleford will, no doubt, be fired up for this one, especially after last gasp victory over Les Catalans, but will be without ex-Rhino Danny Ward for a second week running.

I couldn’t bring myself to put money on Castleford +32pts, they have shown me very little to get excited about and I have very little faith in their ability to stay a Super League club for 2007, this despite their win against Les Catalans last week, incidentally a game in which they conceded almost 30pts. Their forward line is decent but as mentioned previously their backs are all NL1 standard.

I expect a lot of points in this one, and Leeds to cover 28pts, but away from the TV cameras it’s always difficult to judge how the Leeds players will approach the match. I personally won’t be parting with any dosh on this one.

Leeds (from): Mathers, Donald, Walker, Senior, Smith, McGuire, Burrow, Bailey, Diskin, Peacock, Lauitiiti, Sinfield, Millard, Poching, Feather, Ablett, Kirke, Williams.

Castleford (from): Platt, Pryce, Shenton, Dyer, Blanch, Handforth, Kain, Sculthorpe, Henderson, Nutley, Haughey, Bird, Huby, Whitaker, Viane, McGoldrick, Boyle, Fletcher.

Recommendation – No bet I expect Leeds to cover 28pts (Prediction – Leeds win by 38/40pts)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Hull FC vs Harlequins RL (+12/16pts)

_41379704_hull_harle_06.gif

Harlequins are the only Super League club without a victory to their name and I don’t tonight’s hosts being in a charitable mood, Hull will still be smarting from last week’s defeat vs Warrington and John Kerr will want to get his side back on track at the first attempt. However, Quins’ Jekyll & Hyde performances so far, rules out a betting opportunity for me (they are capable of taking the game to Hull as they did against Bradford or just roll over as they did against Saints).

Hull welcome back the experienced duo of Ewan Dowes and Chris Chester to their line-up, but will be without Nathan Blacklock. Harlequins will be glad to see Luke Dorn fit and ready once again but are still without their skipper Mark McLinden, through a hamstring injury. (No doubt, Mclinden is a bigger loss for Quins than Blacklock is for Hull)

Hull should have enough fire power up front to deal with the Quins, and have the likes of the in-form Yeaman and Raynor to bag some tries. I expect them to just cover the handicap, but this is by no means a strong conviction.

It just all depends which Harlequins side turns up tonight.

Hull (from): Briscoe, Brough, Carvell, Chester, Cooke, Domic, Dowes, R. Horne, King, Lupton, McMenemy, Radford, Raynor, Swain, Thackray, Tony, Whiting, Yeaman.

Harlequins (from): Bradley-Qalilawa, Dorn, Gafa, Haumono, Heckenberg, Hopkins, Leuluai, Lolohea, Lucky Luisi, Mbu, Mills, Purdham, Smith, Sykes, Temata, Tookey, Weisner, Williams.

Recommendation – No bet

Expect Hull to cover the 12pts

(Prediction – Hull win by 16/18pts)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Warrington Wolves vs St Helens (-6/8pts)

_41379844_warrington_st_helens_06.gif

I will be taking myself off to Warrington tonight for what should hopefully be a great game. Although I am not going to be betting, I must say the +8pts on offer for the home side is tempting.

But word of caution: we all remember how well Warrington and Lee Briers played in the second half against Hull, but don’t forget how awful they were in the opening 20 mins. If we were to have a similar first half tonight (which I’m positive we wont), Saints will be 20pts up before we know it.

Saints absentees for this match have been welcome publicised (Skipper P Sculthorpe, forward James Graham and ex-wire player Nick Fozzard) but Saints have tremendous strength in depth; what other side could bring in such a talent as Vinnie Anderson to their ranks. Having said that, there must be serious doubts over V Andersons match fitness and awareness. Warrington’s squad is still missing the likes of Swann, Reardon, Rauhihi and I hear Rob Parker has failed a late fitness test. (edited)

Because I am not going to be betting on this one, I am going to let my heart rule my head and predict a Warrington victory and put Saints’ 100% season record to a timely end.

Warrington were beaten twice last season by last gasp scores against Saints, tonight is time for a little revenge. J

Warrington (from): Grose, Fa'afili, Martin Gleeson, Kohe-Love, Briers, Sullivan, Leikvoll, Clarke, Hilton, Swann, Wainwright, Noone, Mark Gleeson, Westwood, Wood, Lima, Barnett, Parker, Bracek, Bridge.

St Helens (from): P. Anderson, V. Anderson, Cayless, Cunningham, Fa'asavalu, Gardner, Gilmour, Hardman, Hooper, Long, Lyon, Meli, Moore, Pryce, Roby, Talau, Wellens, Wilkin.

Recommendation – No bet

Expect Warrington to be ok with a 8pt start

(Prediction – Warrington win by 2/4pts) :)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Salford City Reds vs Wigan Warriors (-6/10pts)

_41379828_salford_wigan_06.gif

This rounds off the last of Friday night’s games, and again it’s a no bet for me. I personally don’t see 10pts between these sides, especially at the Willows. Wigan have looked surprisingly rocky so far this season, yes they defeated the Giants last week 36-20, but they fell asleep in the second half, the Giants dominated and pulled the deficit back to 16pts.

The City Reds, who suffered their first defeat of the season last week against Bradford, welcome back new signing John Wilshere, from suspension. Wilshere has apparently been instrumental in the City Red’s early season success. Ex-Warrior, Luke Robinson is also in the line-up, no doubt he will be fired up for this one. This is definitely a match Salford can win.

Warriors’ Danny Orr was named in the 18 man squad after being dropped. But their preparation for this match has been hindered with the sad news that full back Kris Radlinski has been forced to retire through injury.

Wigan may well snatch the two points here, but I will be very surprised if it’s by 10pts or more.

Salford (from): Fitzpatrick, Hodgson, Moule, Dunemann, Robinson, Coley, Alker, Rutgerson, Finnigan, Charles, Highton, Langi, Wilshere, Haggerty, Littler, Clough, Baldwin, Brocklehurst.

Wigan (from): Ashton, Calderwood, Vaealiki, Richards, Dallas, Orr, Moran, Logan, Higham, Hargreaves, Tickle, Hansen, O'Loughlin, Paleaaesina, Seu Seu, Godwin, Brown, Tomkins.

Recommendation – No bet

Expect Salford to be ok with 10pt start

(Prediction – Wigan win by 4/6pts)

Agree with near enough everything you say there mate' date=' think Saints will beat Wire though:tongue2[/quote'] hehehe......your probably right. I hear that there is going to be a pitch inspection at 5pm. Good luck with your picks tonight mate, good write-ups there!! I would be having similar bets as you tonight, but just going to settle for Bradford this weekend.

Thats just pure class rugbylad! Great write-ups! :clap
Thanks for the post Bamse, appreciate it mate. As long as there are people interested in Rugby League on PL, I will keep on posting. All the best mate. Rugbylad

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Great writeups as usual thanks to sandbag and rugbylad for his writeup... A question, does anybody have a opinion on the total??? Its damn freezing how the heck are these guys gonna play without freezing their gonads LOL...... Best of luck...... Majid

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Great write ups Rugbylad. Hope you don't freeze on the terraces tonight! 4 bets for me this weekend :loon 10pts Harlequins (+16) to beat Hull 10/11 Stan James Quins have named their captain Mark McLinden and Luke Dorn in their squad for the 1st time this season. They will be hoping to bounce back from another abject display at home last weekend with a good performance here. Hull will also be looking to bounce back but 16 points is a lot to cover. Last seasons game at the KFC ended all square and when Dorn and Leuluai are in the halves together for the Quins it usually means points so I expect Quins to hold on to their start. 10pts Castleford (+32) to beat Leeds 10/11 Stan James Cas will be boosted by a win last week albeit against Les Catalans. Leeds lost at Saints last week and will want to bounce back. I think they'll win but in a derby game that could be tight and narrow I think Cas will hold onto to their start. 10pts Saints (-6) to beat Warrington 8/11 Blue Square Warrington produced a superb 2nd half display last week to see off Hull but that glossed over a poor 1st half display. Saints are buzzing at the minute, they are 3 from 3 including a hard fought win over rivals Leeds last week and I think even without Sculthorpe that they will be too strong for an inconsistant Warrington. 10pts Huddersfield to beat Wakefield 11/8 Stan James Wakefield take on an underrated Huddersfield side here and I think Huddersfield who have played well this season barring 40 mins against Wigan last week will bounce back from that loss with a win here. It's the 1st time on Sky this season and their big game players will shine through here. Wakefield had a good win at London last week but that was as much to do with London being poor rather than Wakey being anything special. I take the Giants to win this. Good luck to all who bet. I basically think as it's so bloody cold points will be at a premium tonight and so it's best to stick with those who get big starts.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Friday, 03 March 2006

Hull6 - 10 (6 - 10)Harlequins RLR
Tries: S Briscoe Tries: T Leuluai, T Smith
Goals: D Brough Goals: P Sykes

Salford28 - 10 (14 - 4)WiganR
Tries: S Finnigan, A Coley, J Wilshere, A Dunemann, K Fitzpatrick Tries: P Richards, D Orr
Goals: D Hodgson 4 Goals: D Tickle

Warrington10 - 18 (0 - 12)St HelensR
Tries: H Fa'afili, M Wainwright Tries: K Cunningham, W Talau, A Gardner
Goals: L Briers Goals: J Lyon 3

My Bets: (Little stakes) Saints (-4) to be winning at half time (10/11) and Saints to win by a 6-10 point margain (9/2).
Not a bad days work, I even took 'Less than 50' points just before the kick off due to the conditions;)
My bets: Hull (-14) to beat Quins (10/11)
Apologies to Ian Millward
If there was ever a a bet to make in this match to me it would be Salford to win the match outright at 11/4. No bets.
If only i'd listened to myself. Oh well can't win them all. Good night for me, hope everyone faired the same

10pts Harlequins (+16) to beat Hull 10/11 Stan James 10pts Castleford (+32) to beat Leeds 10/11 Stan James 10pts Saints (-6) to beat Warrington 8/11 Blue Square 10pts Huddersfield to beat Wakefield 11/8 Stan James
Not a bad nights work. Here's hoping for a Huddersfield win and a clean sweep :nana

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Well done Kevshat and Sandbag for their picks :clap It was bloody freezing there tonight, but the atmosphere was awesome, I love the banter on the terraces. Trouble is with Warrington is that their play is sooo predictable. Either Lima, Wainwright, Wood, Leikvoll or Hilton make the metres with forward drives, then Lee Briers puts in a decent kick and with a decent chase, but there's no individual invention, no offloads, no powerplays. I should have had Salford tonight, I really did fancy them. Well done to them Will post my picks for tomorrows games a little later.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 4 Les Catalan Dragons vs Bradford Bulls (-14/16pts) _41379870_catalans_brad_06.gif

After staying away from the betting ring for Friday night’s games, I am eager to get on this one:

Bradford travel to the South of France with a full strength squad, their unbeaten so far in Super League and have a ‘try hungry’ Lesley Vainikolo ready and waiting to be unleashed on such wide pitch (scary prospect). The Dragons have no new injury worries, but still have to make do without skipper Stacey Jones.

I have major concerns over the Dragon’s defence, after only three games they already have a points against average of 26pts, conceded in games against average/mediocre attacks (Castleford & Salford). I seriously think they will not know whats hit them when the Bulls arrive, they are big, strong and quick all over the park and know how to score with the ball at their opponents 10m mark.

We could go on all day about Bradford’s attacking options, but I have been most impressed with their disciplined, mean and organised defence. In the three rounds of Super League they have only conceded a total of 36pts (avg 12pts per game), I would be very surprised to see Les Catalans damage this average on Saturday night.

Having said all that, it not advised to regularly bet on away teams to cover biggish handicaps in Rugby League, so its only medium stakes for me.
Catalans (from): Bosc, Murphy, Wilson, Hughes, Verges, Rudder, Frayssinous, Chan, Rinaldi, Beattie, Fakir, Guisset, Hindmarsh, Mounis, Fellous, Touxagas, Guigue, Casty, Berthezene, Teixido. Bradford (from): Vainikolo, Deacon, Bai, Fielden, I Harris, Withers, Watene, Smith, B Harris, Gene, Pryce, Ferres, Cook, Vagana, Langley, Hape, McKenna, Meyers, Lynch, Henderson.

Recommendation – Bradford Bulls -14pts @ 1.90 stanjames (2pts)

(Prediction – Bradford win by 24/26pts)

(Scale 1-5)