Hi, I'm a total novice.

SammysNo1Fan

Hi I was hoping to get some help regarding poker. I never play, don't know the rules for half the games, don't know the names of half the types, don't know which ones are best and have a few other questions. Basically I mostly do footie betting and normally I'm good at picking winners and I've also dabbled in blackjack but these aren't as socialable (plus blackjack is annoyingly addictive!) I want to get into playing poker as it's good to know so I can play with mates etc and it seems like a good way to waste my time hehe. So have a few questions, 1.Where can I find a website with rules, strategy etc of the types? 2.Which are the most enjoyable types? 3.Which types do you find you make most cash out of? 4.Where is the best website to play on? 5.Are there any free websites (so I can practise the skills) which don't require bank details? 6.How long will a £10 last me as I can't afford too much? 7.Any tips you guys have? 8.Do websites give out bonuses for poker ie like they do for blackjack? Em that's pretty much all the questions i can think of at the moment but I'm sure I'll think of more!:$ If I enjoy poker I'l have you guys to thank for starting me off :ok So any help appreciated :notworthy

Re: Hi, I'm a total novice.

1.Where can I find a website with rules, strategy etc of the types? check out poker news thread above 2.Which are the most enjoyable types? each to their own - most sites allow you to play for free using virtual money. check it out first!! 3.Which types do you find you make most cash out of? hard to be certain - different strokes for different folks 4.Where is the best website to play on? plenty offering freerolls where you can start for nothing 5.Are there any free websites (so I can practise the skills) which don't require bank details? go to point 2 - i know blue sq have play money tables for one 6.How long will a £10 last me as I can't afford too much? if you play in .10c STTs then about 159 games or there abouts 7.Any tips you guys have? check out poker news 8.Do websites give out bonuses for poker ie like they do for blackjack? yes - some amazing ones about - but learn the game first without signing up to too many so that when you have improved then you really can take advantage of some of the better offers
hope this helps a little :ok:ok

Re: Hi, I'm a total novice. Sammy You've come to the right place, and you've asked the right people the questions!! I'm sure you'll get a friendly response and plenty of answers and opinions. 1) Most poker sites have tutorials. I quite like the Pacific Poker School - done in the format of animated videos (though their software for playing is poorly regarded) - http://school.pacificpoker.com/ - there are also some excellent threads for you in PL - Poker News has an introduction on How to Play Texas Holdem. Poker Novice Questions is a thread in which people in a similar position have asked the questions they have. Valiant23 has put together this EXCELLENT thread on his experiences and introduction to poker. 2) The version you see on TV the most is Texas No Limit Hold'em - this is considered the most exciting version for TV. This is the version where the bluff is most significant, and that makes it that more exciting - it is however down to the individual to which they prefer. 3) Texas no limit hold'em seems the most volatile - this means you may be able to make money the fastest OR lose money the fastest. Cash games turnover money a lot faster than tournaments - they are most definitely NOT for beginners though. 4) Lost of people here have in excess of 30 sites on their machines. Why limit yourself to one? Why not look for the best competitions and play them? A lot of us chase freerolls (free to enter, but offering real cash prizes) and the difference in value in these are huge - if you follow the best tournaments you can win big (a number of people on here have won over $10,000 in freeroll competitions this year!!!!) 5) Almost all sites offer games for play money. This is a good starting point for learning the rules and the software, but don't learn too much of the strategy - how good can it be where you don't risk losing anything? 6) You don't need to risk any of your own cash. Plenty of people here play freerolls. If you are worried about the cash, I recommend that you just play freerolls. You can then risk your winnings in competitions if you want to. In general though - your money goes a LOT further in tournaments than in cash games. 7) Give it a go - Freerolls make it easy to play without risking anything. check out the daily threads in the poker forum to see where the best freerolls are available each day. 8) Yes - but they usually have "raked hand" requirements - meaning you have to play a certain amount of cash games to release them. As a beginner, you would lose more than the bonus if you tried this. Forget the bonuses for the moment and concentrate on freerolls. Good Luck :ok

Re: Hi, I'm a total novice. Thanks a lot guys, that's a great help :) I'l take your points on board, going to only use freerolls but only once I've got some practise in at the play for fun tables. I'l keep you updated on how I'm getting on (ie come back whinging about a problem! :tongue2 ) Thanks again

Re: Hi, I'm a total novice. Only just finished reading Valient23s accounts and Jezzas tips, both excellent reads :) I should probably go to sleep but on a caffeine high from Pepsi Max haha and have absolutely nothing to do for the next 3 days except well this and watch football! I love holidays.

Just been knocked out of my first freeroll tournament. I went all in with a double pair against a guy who had been bluffing all match after the first 3 cards were out. He managed to get a flush with 1 hole card and the last 2 cards drawn. Lucky guy...
:welcome to PL Sammy. And believe me, you'd better get used to stuff like that happening to you. Just have a look at the bad beat thread :eyes .

Re: Hi, I'm a total novice. Oh I'm loving it now lol Lying 10th ish in a freeroll thing, down to the last 240ish out of 2000. Unfortunately all I can win is $50 for top 18 or if I get in top 5 I get put in another freeroll for $1000. It's a promising start though. I had 3 hands close together where I had a flush, a pair of ace and pair of 8, and 3 of a kind 7s where I just cleaned up :):):):)

Re: Hi, I'm a total novice. Ah the emotional rollercoaster :puke I went all in against a guy of equal credit, we both had three of a kind 10 but he won cause he also had a jack? So I'm out of that one lol Hey it's something to learn from to improve my game ;) Good thing it happened when I was only playing for $50 I guess :sad

Re: Hi, I'm a total novice. Nice to see you've taken the plunge Sammy. Texas Holdem is one of the easiest games to pick up on but deviously skilled to master. Its better to play in games that have some cash value rather than the play money stakes. Don't try and play every hand - you'll quickly learn this is the road to losing and don't try and bluff every hand as well. Reading helps a lot but the best way to learn the game is play, play and play some more. You'll be hooked for life.

Only just finished reading Valient23s accounts and Jezzas tips' date=' both excellent reads :) I should probably go to sleep but on a caffeine high from Pepsi Max haha and have absolutely nothing to do for the next 3 days except well this and watch football! I love holidays.[/quote'] Hi Sammy, :welcome to your fan club.:ok At the moment there are a series of freeroll tournaments with the prize being a qualification to a weekly final for the top 27 finishers (there is also a leaderboard to get points for). There are 2 qualifiers a day (2pm and 8pm) and will provide you with a great opportunity to develop your poker skills. The tournament is running for quite a while, so you'll have plenty of chances. The details are here; http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showpost.php?p=316200&postcount=1 follow the instructions (you'll have to have a quick word with live help as you have Blue sq as well) and get signed up. And let us know your username so that we can say hi when we see you. :ok