Technology

runadrum

Anybody play on a laptop rather than desktop ? I want to use a laptop for the first time to play while away from home for a couple of days, in a building with a wireless network. I've been told I just need to buy a network card for my 3 year old + laptop but I hate being the slowest guy on the table and wonder if anyone can recommend a minimum spec I should look for in a new machine. Also (sorry), anyone know how the wireless network works ? I log onto BT broadband on my desktop at home but what will I log onto on a laptop away from home ? Go gentle on the new boy (to the site, not to the delights of internet poker) ! Duncan

Re: Technology Welcome to PL, runadrum! I usually play on a laptop. To connect to your account at home you'll need a wireless router. Away from home, you'll need to find a wireless network you can connect to. There are lots of places these days (cafes, etc.) which have wireless internet. Usually you have to pay, and it can be quite expensive (typically £5 or £6 an hour), but there are some places with free access: I'd guess this will become more and more common. You'll often find places with unsecured wireless networks that you can connect to; I've often stayed in small hotels where I've been able to connect to what is presumably one of the neighbours' networks. Your laptop will be able to search for available networks, and if there's no password required, it's easy to connect.

Re: Technology Thanks slapdash I've been assured the wireless network available will be free to use. It was more the question about the quality of laptop necessary not to slow up play, eg. CPU speed and amount of memory. Thinking about it I guess I need to try and connect my existing laptop instead of the desktop at home and see how far I get. :ok

Re: Technology

It was more the question about the quality of laptop necessary not to slow up play, eg. CPU speed and amount of memory.
I doubt very much whether that will be an issue. I've played on a dial-up connection with a 6-year old 300MHz laptop and 32 MB RAM running Windows 98 and not had problems!

Re: Technology

Out in 5th, but got a good advert in for PL.:ok Until someone said,"Didn't they sponsor a race recently-I saw the owner (Paul Ross) on ATR". So he won't be joining. :rollin:rollin:rollin ;)
Totally off-topic Hiya and :welcome runadrum. Glad to see that despite seeing Paul on TV AND chatting to Pocket Lady and me you've still decided to join up. I'm Raider23pl (I think in the Sun tourney).