Player ratings system

I need some help please... I'm developing a system based on compiling individual player ratings (e.g. ratings out of 10) for each team in League 2 and the Conference. It's coming in very handy when assessing the impact of injuries, suspensions etc. I've been compiling these player stats from various newspaper sources, however I've got concerns over the accuracy of some and it's also a bit time consuming. Does anyone know of anywhere online where I could obtain these figures? I've tried football-data and endless google searches but can't find any. Any help would be much appreciated, I'll make sure I display my analysis and selections on here once the system's been tweaked ;)

Re: Player ratings system Hiya mate - I like this and think there's a lot of mileage in it. We were discussing something similar pre season (http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16901[url=http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16901&highlight=key+player]) - more relating just to a single, or small number of key players, in this thread. Since this discussion, it's been my intention to set up something automatic to run, and track the average number of points a team wins when each player plays, and see what the "expected" number of points is for a given team/squad - in principal I think, very similar to what you're suggesting. I haven't got round to tackling the project yet :sad - but I intend to - the big advantage I hope will be that it's automatic (which will also allow for backtesting) - it sounds a mamouth task to do it manually!! Anyway - good luck, and I'll let you know when I get round to tackling my project!!

Re: Player ratings system To be honest it was that thread that got me thinking of using player ratings. It's a lot of work to set up manually - but once I'm up to date, it should only be a matter of inputting the ratings for 20 games or so once a week. I was hoping to find somewhere I could download the data from but I'm just happy that there's a place online to get them for free (previously I was buying MATCH magazine at £1.60p :eek every week along with other newspapers) Anyway, good luck when you get yours off the ground... back to the spreadsheet for me!

Re: Player ratings system this idea sounds very interesting. i'd be willing to help out if anyone needed any donkey work doing. i'm not sure if anyone's mention the football anorak site - which allows you to customise team perfomances by a player starting or not starting, or coming on as a sub. it does not give the 'add on points' you talk about, but does (more importantly??) give you the betting record yield against a bookie when the filtered criteria is employed. eg, to date, steven gerrard starting for liverpool: P 6 W 1 D 4 L 1 Backing -4.60 (-77%) Draw 6.95 (116%) Against -4.15 (-69%) or cisse AND gerrard both starting: P 2 W 2 D 0 L 0 Backing -0.60(-30%) Draw 1.15(58%) Against -2.00(-100%) ok, limited games so far, but does this sound useful??

Re: Player ratings system I'm suprised that there are people that still take these players ratings seriously. When Tony Cascarino first wrote a match report, he said afterwards on Talksport that many of the other 'reporters' actually allocated thier player ratings at half time!,he then went on to say that the players ratings were a reguarded as a joke amongst professional players. Indeed,after reading subsiquent match reports of matches that I have attended I have often wondered if it was actually the same match! I sincerely wish you the best of luck in making them work for you though!

Re: Player ratings system I'm using the ratings to give an indication of each teams key players. So far it's looking good, I won't be putting too much strength on one individual match rating but over the course of a season it should give a fairly accurate picture of each teams star performers. I'm almost 3/4's of the way through compiling them for League Two and I've already stumbled across one potential bet... Simon Brown has the highest average rating for Mansfield at 7.14 (albeit after 7 starts). He's scored 5 times in those 7 starts and is currently priced at 14/1 to score first or last with B365 against Shrewsbury on Friday night. This wasn't the type of bet that I was wanting the system to highlight but that price seems very good value...

Re: Player ratings system so how would you implement the ratings? would you remove injuries and try putting in a starting XI to generate match odds? would you look for first goals scorer as you said above? i'm just trying to start a discussion of how they could be used - the starting XI is only announced about an hour before kick off.

• 1 month later...

Re: Player ratings system Hi Shrewd boy, Did you manage to input all the data and if so is this helping you in anyway? I am following a prem correct score system which isn't doing great at the moment on correct scores but is doing very well on picking the winning/lossing teams and this added bit of info might help.