I would just like to say...........

Guest gazza271

Guest gazza271

HI, Hi folks, I have been lurking on here for about a month and have enjoyed reading the posts and gathering tips. I have been playing on-line for about 6 months now and am well and truly hooked! Well chuffed as tonight i managed to qualify for the Telegraph FF Final............woo hoo........jeez was i getting nervous towards the end........lol......think i better stick to internet games at mo! Now seeing as i am a novice what tips can you guys offer me ? I tend to play quite loose while the blind are low 5/10 and 10/20 etc and tighten up when the blinds raise. What always seems to sucker me is if i get say 10 j and on the flop out comes say q 3 6 i seem to call to much hoping for a possible straight on the turn and river I play on Betfred and quite often get in the money albeit small amounts and have had a 3rd in a £2 tourny on Betfair which gave me about 30 quid but i can never seem to push for the last bit and win a tourny. Sorry, should mention my playing ID is Gazza271 Any advice would be great, Cheers Garry :rollin

Re: I would just like to say........... First of all :welcome to PL. Secondly, :clap it is quite an achievement. When I made it I was dancing on the ceiling - naked!:unsure I've been playing since mid-August, but since then I've read a lot of posts and articles, and tried to develop my own style. The poker novice questions was invaluable help for me. "What always seems to sucker me is if i get say 10 j and on the flop out comes say q 3 6 i seem to call to much hoping for a possible straight on the turn and river" Look at it this way - with 2 cards left to come you need 1 ace and 1 king, or a 9 and an 8. Although it is possible, it is extremely unlikely. What I do, and have said more than once is 'pay' for 1 card. If I 'hit', I'll pay for the next - if not fold and wait for the next hand. Don't go for the long shots unless you have to. All the best for tomorrow (g**d l**k is banned ;)).

Re: I would just like to say........... Superb Mate - :welcome to Punters Lounge. And good to see you having "delurked".:clap :clap And great result for you last night!! Tips? Well first of all, enjoy it. You won't often get the chance to play for $50,000!!!! You will have to expect a completely different type of game in the final - your "all in first hand muppets" are unlikely to have qualified, so the final will see a lot tighter game, and those that are there will not want to go out.....So it will be a lot harder to get any action, and a lot easier to "steal" the blinds - but when you are called, it should be by stronger hands (and you have a greater chance of losing). So when the blinds are low, you need to be more cautious of risking much of your stack (because the rewards are low, but the risk is high if you're called). In general, where you are first to act pre flop, whilst the blinds are still relatively small, you should never raise more than 5 times the Big Blind (would the more established players agree?). The other thing to notice is that you all start with 2500 chips, instead of 1500. So this should be a longer/slower game. You have more "time" at the beginning, before the blinds start to get painful. The blind structure is the same as the qualifiers. (i.e. an increase every 10 mins). Have Fun!! and make sure to report how you get on (in the Final thread).:ok

Re: I would just like to say........... :welcome to the PL.:clap :clap :clap I'd generally agree with GAF ................. the thing to remember is that although there might be 1 or 2, muppets who fluked the qualifier for this game, the rest will generally be decent/good/very good players. Its better to play tight early on as the blinds are so small in comparison to the stack size that the rewards are low. If you put in big bets with weak hands, you will generally only be called if you are already beaten. Therefore you are risking a lot of chips to earn a few. But on the whole, although you should maybe be a little more cautious to begin with ( says the man who was first to go all-in in the Daily Record final :lol ) don't change your style of play too much ................. after all it was good enough to get you there in the first place :ok

Re: I would just like to say........... welcome.gif to PL - and i hope you continue on form. We want a PL winner on the Telegraph tonight! Remember you're already in the money. Enjoy the game and you might find it easier if you resist calling the 'All In' idiots unless you know you've got 'the nuts'. crossfingers.gif for later.