A New Betting Writer's Journey: Tennis Starts At Wimbledon

Follow my journey as I learn to become a top tennis betting writer! This forum chronicles my experiences from the ground up, offering a unique perspective for aspiring betting writers. Join me as I learn the ropes, analyze matches, craft betting tips, and develop my writing voice. We start at Wimbledon. 

Wow, so where do we start?🤔

Oh, that's right at the beginning!💡

I've created a simple guide to help me through the basics. 

Can't see much further than that for now. 👀

Hopeful, I'll connect with some pros  to give me a better perspective. 

But for now, I'll keep it all very crude and very basic. 

Tennis Starts at Wimbledon!🌱 

Anyone who follows tennis follows Wimbledon. 

It should be a great place to learn about tennis and betting. 🎾

So, that's where we go.

:welcome Welcome to the forum. The tennis section is over this way...

https://forum.punterslounge.com/forum/73-tennis-betting-tips-predictions/

All things tennis related should find a home there. There's a thread up for Wimbledon and there's generally a thread for each week's events and any related bets.

@CzechPunter is the admin in that part of the forum. 

Day 2 - Wimbledon Update

Today, I'll discuss what I learned about tennis betting yesterday.

But first, some updates on Wimbledon Day 1 (yesterday) 

Most matches went as you would expect with not many surprises. 

Max Purcell was beaten by O. Virtanen.

Max lost to Talylor Fritz just days ago at the Eastbourne finals. 

He was horribly inconsistent against Fritz and lost despite a late rally. 

So maybe it was a touch of fatigue. 

From my schedule of 1st round, all my predictions were winners. 

But of course, Day 1 tends to be more predictable, especially for top players. 

I'm trying hard to conjure up my inner "punter" 😂

So, that's all for Wimbledon for now. 

Day 2 - A Few Definitions 

A Punter - this is another word for a bettor, someone who places bets 

Bookmaker - this is the guy that facitates betting. He sets the odds and takes bets, shares winnings 

The vig - this is a built in margin that ensures the Bookmaker always makes a profit

A Push - the is when a bet lands on a thr exact number set by the sports book, it's a (tie?) and your stake is refunded (stake not steak😂

Hope I got these definitions correctly🤔

2 hours ago, Sugarwhite7 said:

Okay. Thanks for the tip. What of my conversation and the topic I started, do I need to close it? 

I'd stop posting in here, no-one's going to see it. If you're posting your thoughts on Wimbledon then I'd post along with everyone else in the Wimbledon thread. If people are looking to read about tennis then that's where they're going to go. I'd also take some time to get a feel for the place and try and pitch your contributions at an appropriate tone and level for your audience. Posts like that last one will, to be frank, add no value on here as we're all seasoned punters. It's a bit like going on Grannies.net and posting a beginners guide to sucking eggs! 

I appreciate that analogy may not travel well so;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_grandmother_to_suck_eggs

46 minutes ago, Torque said:

Overall I'd agree with your last post @harry_rag although I would say there are some who come here completely green - I certainly did - and so seeing the absolute basics somewhere is not necessarily a total waste.

I've just got one eye on the occasional (shall we say) "brisk" nature of the tennis forum and the unusual angle of someone coming on here to "learn to become a top tennis writer". 

For me, first and foremost, posts about tennis should be in the tennis thread. Ideally I'd say it's best to contribute to the relevant weekly thread along with everyone else rather than start an individual thread which may go largely unread.

It's incumbent on those of us already here to be welcoming to newcomers but newbies should ideally get a feel for the place and the tone and level of the existing posts in their area of interest so that they enjoy their time on here and add some value to the discussions.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. What I was wanting to focus on was the idea that posting about simple concepts here is a waste of time. 'Simple concepts' is a relative term. What's simple for those with experience is anything but for those who have no idea what they're doing and so the odd post 'teaching grandmother to suck eggs' isn't necessarily the total waste you suggest. Agree about all your other points though.

On 7/2/2024 at 7:46 PM, harry_rag said:

I'd stop posting in here, no-one's going to see it. If you're posting your thoughts on Wimbledon then I'd post along with everyone else in the Wimbledon thread. If people are looking to read about tennis then that's where they're going to go. I'd also take some time to get a feel for the place and try and pitch your contributions at an appropriate tone and level for your audience. Posts like that last one will, to be frank, add no value on here as we're all seasoned punters. It's a bit like going on Grannies.net and posting a beginners guide to sucking eggs! 

I appreciate that analogy may not travel well so;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_grandmother_to_suck_eggs

I asked the question because I was seeking some guidance. If you read the thread you'll see that it was directed at beginners like me and not experienced members. Anyway I was in error. Thanks for putting me through. I'll move to the tennis section and interact there. By the way, the grannies and eggs thing is well understood. I will add it to my journal. Thanks again for the heads up.