Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm Cheltenham 4:00 - Olbg Mares' Hurdle(David Nicholson) (Grade 1) (1) 2m4f Annie Power will be all the rage and is probably the Willie Mullins banker of the festival, but in the Without Annie Power market, the Harry Fry trained Bitofapuzzle looks a great price at 12/1 with Sky Bet. The 7 year old mare won a Listed mares race here at Cheltenham back in November, beating the Crawford trained Montana Belle by 3 lengths. She has won 5 of her 6 starts to date, and last time out beat Carole's Spirit in a Grade 2 at Ascot, so comes here in top top order. Harry Fry is having a terrific season, he is a star in the making, and with Noel Fehily booked to ride, we are in safe hands for sure. I have no doubt Annie Power will win the race, but I am not an odds-on backer so this looks a good play to me. >>>>> Bitofapuzzle (W/o Annie Power) - 1 Point each-way @ 12/1 Sky Bet https://www.punterslounge.com/cheltenham-festival/

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm ...4.00 Cheltenham: David Nicholson Mares Hurdle (2m4f) Quevega won this for the last six years but has now retired and trainer Willie Mullins has brought in Annie Power off the assembly line to take her place. She looks every bit as good and should be another victory for the favourite in a race working out well for the punters. Six of the best; Annie Power: Owned by the Ricci’s and very well regarded and but for a slight set back would probably have gone for the World Hurdle instead, a race she was second in last season. A great record in races against her own sex and I’d be surprised if anything can get near her at the moment in the Mares division. Does make her comeback after injury so there is always a worry but she is very good and looks tailor made for this trip. Glens Melody – Second string for Willie Mullins and was second in this race last year. Very consistent mare in her own grade and was nearly retired at the end of last season but they have decided to come back for another crack. Pity that Annie Power is on the scene but looks sure to run into a place yet again. Polly Peacham – Nicky Henderson saddles this one and on ratings alone has every chance. She won the Listed mares race here at Cheltenham last April and also won at Wincanton. Pulled up last time at Kempton when she didn’t stay three miles so this will be perfect for her and even better now that the ground is not heavy. On class alone she should figure in this company. L’Unique – Alan Kings mare needs good ground to show her best and won a decent handicap at Sandown at the end of last season. Not had conditions to suit as yet this time round and showed signs of coming back to form at Kempton when third to Carole’s Spirit. Still only a 6yo and only had 14 races in her career so could improve still. Bitofapuzzle- Five wins from six races and going up the ranks with every outing this 7yo trained by Harry Fry is a very exciting mare indeed. Whether or not she is ready for this kind of test is open to question but she deserves her shot at the big time. Won well last time out over 3 miles at Ascot when defeating Carole’s Spirit but wont mind dropping back in trip. Next season will probably see her improve again and definitely one for the future in these mares contests. Dark Spirit - Trained by Evan Williams this 7yo has improved no end this season and gone up 26lbs in the ratings. She won at Ludlow in October and by 11 lengths at Ascot in November. Stepped up in class next time out she was second at Sandown to the useful Aurore D’Estruval. Last time was put in her place by Bitofapuzzle but the race may have come too quick for her on that occasion. Verdict: Annie Power is very short at around 4/7 and barring accidents will win this without much fuss. As a betting proposition we need to look elsewhere and my idea of a value bet is L’Unique trained by Alan King. She does need decent ground to show her best and on the first day she might get it. L’Unique 1pt EW 16/1 bet365

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm Beating Annie Power in this should be bloody difficult as she is at least 10 lb clear on ratings but there are reasons to thinks she might not be quite at her very best. I certainly wouldn't want to lay her but there are other options in the field. The class option is Polly Peachum and she is one of my AP bets mainly when I was hoping Annie Power wouldn't run so I do have her at 25s so that price looks good and looking back at her form she will travel well and has a real turn of foot. Bad ground did for her LTO but back on good she is a real threat if the favourite isn't quite at her best. My other selection is based on how this race is traditionally run which in essence is a crawl! Caroles Destiny is sure to set off in front and should be able to dictate. She goes on all ground and will relish the hill and if the others get caught sleeping ( which Ruby has on Quevega the last 2 seasons) then she could run a massive race at a big price. She will more than likely get nabbed but I am willing to test my theory EW.

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm Annie Power is miles ahead on known form and rightly a short-ish price but taking an odds-on shot that's coming back from a lengthy lay-off due to injury isn't for me. BITOFAPUZZLE looks a promising type and won a similarly named OLBG Mares Hurdle when last seen in January. She was piped at Haydock before-hand but can still improve for Harry Fry and is a value price at 25/1 in my book. I'm going to take a chance on Leighton Aspell's mount though, MISCHIEVOUS MILLY gives me the impression we haven't quite seen the best of her and the first time cp should help her along. At 66/1 she's worth a bet to win and each-way.

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm OLBG Mares Hurdle Race trends can be thrown out of the window for this race with Quevega winning it for the last six years, five of which on her seasonal debut, so there are any to talk of, so this is more of a form guide. Short List Polly Peachum Annie Power Conclusion There is an assumption that ANNIE POWER will carry on where Quevega left off for Willie Mullins but it was always the intention to start off that six-time winner in this race for the last five of her wins in this race whereas Annie Power makes her seasonal debut here off the back of a setback so this is no penalty kick. Especially as her connections also want to take her to Aintree and Punchestown and I don’t think they had Quevega at full concert pitch when she won the last three runnings of the race so the chances of Annie Power being 100% have to be questioned. Of course she has to be on any form-based short list as she is 7lb clear on official ratings but does that entitle her to be so far clear of Polly Peachum in the betting and especially if she is not fully fit? The positive vibes for POLLY PEACHUM have been increasing over the last week and if you are prepared to forgive her a poor run over 3m at Kempton in November when we last saw her, she enters this race as the obvious best home hope and a serious each-way consideration. She also easily beat last year’s third, L’Unique, at Cheltenham in April so we know she handles the course and will appreciate spring ground if that proves to be the case. On a line through L’Unique, she has the beating of last season’s second, Glens Melody, and official ratings back that up to the tune of as much as 5lb but she is the bigger price of the pair. L’Unique has improved in the spring for the last two years so don’t be shocked to see her leave this season’s form behind. The Pirate’s Queen joins L’Unique in the race for Alan King and may be best of the novices having beaten Bitofapuzzle, who looks more at home over 3m, before Christmas. The latter-named is closely matched with Carole’s Spirit on Ascot from but the Robert Walford-trained mare also looks like she would prefer a longer trip. First-time blinkers is therefore probably a good idea to sharpen her up, and her jumping as she flew out to the right far too often at Ascot when not beaten far trying to give Bitofapuzzle 5lb.

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm One UK and one from Ireland. Carole's Spirit - Win @ 5\1 Bet365 (W/O Annie Power and Glens Melody) Consistent and while not likely to be good enough to beat the either of the 2 Mullins mares has a great chance of following them home. Annie Power - Win @ 4\6 Betbright Great 2nd last year in the World Hurdle and if back to anywhere near that level of form after been injured will be very hard to beat. Top class mare and worthy successor to Quevega.

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm Key Trends (without Quevega) : All winners aged 8 or younger : (Hidden Identity) 8 out of 8 finished in first 3 on last 3 starts - (Centasia, Dark Spirit, Glens Melody, L'Unique, Mischievous Milly, Pass The Time, Polly Peachum, Sureness, Swing Bowler, The Govaness) 8 out of 8 ran in the last 55 days (Annie Power, The Pirate's Queen) 8 out of 8 contested a grade 1 or 2 under NH rules (Emily Gray) That only leaves Bitofapuzzle and Caroles Spirit. I will be backing both each way at 25/1 and 20/1 respectively.

Re: Mares' Hurdle > Tuesday March 10th @ 4:00pm Annie Power will take all the beating but if she was at her best I reckon they would be running her in the World Hurdle so it's worth looking at backing one of the outsiders each-way. Alan King had a great festival last year and it looks as if many of his horses have been kept for the spring festivals including one of his runners here L'unique. She was third in this last year and the return to a stiff 2m 4f on good ground is exactly what she wants. Still only 6 she can still improve and after hitting the frame last year I would not be surprised to see her do it again. L'unique - 1pt each-way @ 20/1 Bet365