National Hunt Racing > Wednesday April 16th

Cheltenham 3:50 - Wooden Spoon Charity Silver Trophy Chase(LIMITED HANDICAP) (Grade 2) (1) 2m5f The Philip Hobbs trained Persian Snow is a very interesting runner here on the back of a fine 6th in the Festival Handicap Chase last month. He bolted up at Warwick before he went to the festival and a mark of 138 should not be beyond him. Astracad is always a horse that I would never dream of place laying as he nearly always runs a decent race but for win purposes he is normally one I tend to swerve due to his quirks and this might also stretch him. The Paul Nicholls yard have been back doing ok of late and Pacha Du Polder is well capable of putting in a big run tomorrow too. I think the clear value of the race is the David Pipe trained Wetak though who caught the eye here last month and is open to progress. Wetak - 1 Point each-way @ 12/1 Bet Victor - Also Get a £100 Free Bet! Read Full Preview @ http://www.punterslounge.com/silver-trophy-chase-preview-wetak-caught-the-eye-in-the-byrne-group-plate

Re: National Hunt Racing > Wednesday April 16th 2.05 Cheltenham - 3pts win My Wigwam Or Yours @ 3/1 (Bet365) Garde La Victoire sets a good standard but I'm not totally convinced by that one and is worth taking on and has had a couple of quick races too. Nicky Henderson's runner is going the right way and this race looks ideal. Wouldn't be the quickest hurdler in the yard and just lacked that yard in bumpers but has done well over hurdles when I don't think things have dropped right. Firstly, he didn't look to enjoy the deep ground when third recently (staying on) at Towcester and all three runs over obstacles before last time came on a soft surface. He still ran fine but I think he's a better horse on a sounder surface and went a long way to proving that last time - though the step up in trip was a big plus too. On that occasion he routed a good horse (who won next time) by 16l and had the field well strung out. These are similar conditions today and has plenty of scope to progress further. Is a fresher horse than his main market rival and I just think he'll get the better of the argument even giving weight away. 3.15 Chelteham - 2pts win Brother Brian @ 6/1 (Hills) This is competitive but I'm really taken by Hughie Morrison's charge here. Showed ability in bumpers - keeping on in three events - and shaped really well if well beaten on hurdling debut. Was thrown right in at the deep end in a race where the first three consisted of Beat That (156 rated now), Champagne West (143) and Knock House (130). Was not as streetwise at those talented animals there but looked like he'd improve and has done so. Dug in well to win next time out on soft ground (clear with subsequent winner, rated 131) and then tried to keep up with the talented Cole Harden at Newbury. That one's now rated 150 so again just bumped into one when a respectable third. When last seen he was 4th in the EBF Final behind a horse suited by the nature of that and the form has worked out well. The third, Doctor Harper, won at Aintree next time and the horse in sixth has won its next two races. I think you can mark up these efforts as they've come on soft when I think he'll be happier on this sounder surface and looks more than capable of getting involved again. 4.25 Cheltenham - 2pts win Here's Herbie @ 12/1 (PP) Sue Gardner doesn't have many runners at the 'big' venues but sends some to Cheltenham today and I think that suggests she thinks she has chances. I'm with her as this horse is a likeable type who is ready for this step up to three miles. Has proved progressive over hurdles - originally staying on into midfield in novice events before recently finishing second and then winning twice with the tongue-tie applied. He stays the 2m4f well - on deep ground - and this trip really should suit. Looked held when 8 lengths down a couple of flights from home two starts back and to say he ended up a ten length winner, it says a lot about his stamina! Asserted again close home over the same c&d when last seen (clear with a horse who went well again off the same mark next time). That proved he can perform on better ground as it was good to soft and I see no reason why he won't improve for the extra yardage. Do I think he'll prove 8lbs better over three miles? I do given the way he initially lacked the pace before staying on stoutly over shorter and it can make the trip worthwhile for the Gardners.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.