Criteria by Category: +78pts, +66%Y (backtested leagues), +14pts, +34%Y (untested)

Hello, this is the first thread I’ve created, and indeed my first forum post. Here I will be testing a 1x2 soccer strategy which classifies games according to a few basic circumstances and then applies a relevant set of criteria. For instance, a clash between two mid-table teams where the home team is strong favourite would be a different category to a clash where the home team is at the bottom of the table and the away team at the top. For each category there is a set of criteria that needs to be fulfilled to signal a home team bet, and a different set that needs to be fulfilled for an away bet. My research has not found any consistently profitable scenarios for backing draws.

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy A little more info: The approach has been back-tested across ten years of data for all the English divisions, as well as the Scottish Premier, Bundesliga, Series A, Ligue 1 and Spanish Primera. Live testing was conducted on the last three months of last season and since week seven of each league this season (early season games are ignored). So far results have been very close to (in fact slightly above) back-tested yields: ~12% for home teams and ~15% for away teams. I wouldn't expect these returns to hold up in the long run, but even half of those figures would be decent. Staking is calculated by dividing a strength-of-bet rating (whether the bet easily fulfills the criteria or scrapes in) divided by the available odds. The criteria for home bets and away bets are qualitatively different, so I will record the results separately.

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy

Does the system make selections irrespective of the available price? e.g. if the price for a home win was say 1.01' date=' but it fit the criteria, would you still make the bet?[/quote'] Thanks for an excellent question that highlights a key difference between this strategy and a traditional handicapping approach. The criteria aren't used to predict 1x2 probabilities. The available odds are part of the classification process and then a bet is signalled if the home or away team meet the criteria. So there are classifications for games with extremely low priced favourites (further sorted by some other factors such as table position and recent results). If a 1.01 team fulfills the criteria for the appropriate category it will be a bet, based on the fact that teams with its stats under similar circumstances have been historically profitable.

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy I have recently uncovered some data sources for a few more leagues and I'm going to begin testing them as well. I'll keep these results separate as there has been no testing at all of these leagues until now. HOME BETS (UNTESTED LEAGUES) NED Vitesse 7pts @ 1.53 Coral BRA Cruzeiro 9pts @ 1.62 B365 BRA Internacional 6pts @ 2.1 Interwetten BRA Ponte Preta 8pts @ 2.4 Interwetten BRA Atletico PR 8pts @ 2.5 Marathon

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy HOME BETS: RESULTS GER Schalke 10pts @ 1.67 William Hill (3-1) +6.7 ENG2 Middlesbrough 7pts @ 2.63 Boyle (2-2) -7 FRA Bastia 9pts @ 2.44 Marathon (1-0) +12.96 ESP Ath Bilbao 11pts @ 1.60 Interwetten (2-1) +6.6 ITA Genoa 8pts @ 2.30 William Hill (2-0) +10.4 Outlay: 45, P/L: +29.66, Y: +65.91% A handsome start. I’ll update Away bets after Sampdoria game.

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy I'm curious but cautious about the Brazil games. It's my first foray into a South American league and with no back testing to rely on, I really have no idea whether the same approach can be applied. I'm also a little weary about the consistency across data sources.

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy HOME (UNTESTED LEAGUES): RESULTS NED Vitesse 7pts @ 1.53 Coral (3-1) +3.71 BRA Cruzeiro 9pts @ 1.62 B365 (3-0) +5.58 BRA Internacional 6pts @ 2.1 Interwetten (2-1) +6.6 BRA Ponte Preta 8pts @ 2.4 Interwetten (0-3) -8 BRA Atletico PR 8pts @ 2.5 Marathon (3-0) +12 Outlay: 38, P/L: +19.89, Y: +52.34%

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy

Great start. Keep it up. Without giving away the crown jewels' date=' what sort of differences do you apply to the different category of match?[/quote'] Thanks. I'm very proud of the strategy for putting its best foot forward on its public debut. It will be impossible to keep up those percentages, but it's nice to get a jump start on variance. The crown jewels are heavily guarded, but I'll just say that the approach looks for stats that fall above or below expected thresholds for a particular category. Some of these suggest a team might be undervalued by the market or vice versa. The key stats for home bets are slightly different to those for away bets.

Re: Criteria by Category, a Soccer Strategy: +89 pts, +83% yield Nice system. Just a question do you do research on injuries and do you take them into account or do you purely recommend a game on statistical data? Keep up the good work I will free up some money to play along with you :cheers