British and Irish Lions V Mostly Blacks

I'm a fervant Lions supporter and I'm really looking forward to the tour and the tests, that said I can't believe that NZ are 1-2 to win the series, IMHO that is a massive price and I've been lumping on as much as I can afford (which isn't much!) Traditionally (apart from 1974) the Lions have been built around a successful English backbone with Celtic players adding a bit of brawn or a side step or two to the side. This year sees us with a shortage of top class forwards, good but old and getting a bit doddery centres and a brilliant, fantastic back line BUT.............they are just two small to take on the Mostly Blacks ie, defend against them. Like to know what everyone else thinks. And at the end of the day if my few hundred quid gets me a nice return then that'll be great if my bet loses and we beat the Mostly Blacks then I'll be over the moon.

Re: British and Irish Lions V Mostly Blacks i seriously cant see any english players actually getting in.....perhaps balshaw...and robinson obviously, but where does robinson play, cos balshaw, murphy, kevin morgan and gareth thomas are all better than him at full back. Ev

Re: British and Irish Lions V Mostly Blacks I think you're right ev. I was watching the game on saturday and thought that Balshaw brought something to the fullback position that Robinson doesn't. Although with his pace and skills Robinson has to be picked as he could easily slot in as a winger or centre if the need arose. Who would have thought 2 years ago that England would be struggling to get a single player into the Lions squad? Although I think it's mainly due to the bad-luck of having the majority of what would be our best experienced campaigners out through injury and not really having anyone to bring on the up and coming talent that we obviously have. Not too sure about Robinson as manager either, any manager that can start an 18 year old and declare him good enough for the 6 nations then not back up that claim by dropping him after one average performance has to take a long hard look at himself.

Re: British and Irish Lions V Mostly Blacks I personally think Andy Robinson is absolutely useless. A few of his selections, like Tait as you mention, seem a bit bizarre. You don't pick someone, then drop them completely after one game like that. Rob Andrew wasn't happy. Who else would do the job though? I suppose the RFU had no choice but to give Robinson a chance, but how long do they give him if England keep losing? To be fair though, I think all this doom and gloom about England is a bit unfair. Could easily have won every game this Six Nations. Took a late penalty from Wales to win that game, dominated against France but missed the kicks at goal, amazing not to win that game, and then a couple of dodgy decisions possibly cost England against Ireland, as well as a few missed chances late on. Add to this all the injuries and retirements happening at the same time, and it's not been a lucky time for England. If the Lions name an approximately 44-man squad (http://www.lions-tour.com/squad/index.asp), can you really see as few as 3 Englishmen in there? I'm not quite sure of the severity of their injuries, but surely Greenwood and Tindall will make it if fit? As far as I know Richard Hill won't make it due to injury, but if he does get fit (didn't he have a serious knee injury?) , he would be another certainty. The same applies to Wilkinson, but who knows what his fitness will be like when the squad is chosen. Hopefully his latest injury is not as bad as it looked. Corry has been very good this Six Nations, and looks sure to make it as well. Jason Robinson will be in as has been said above, while Balshaw showed enough against Italy to suggest he can regain his best form and stake a claim. Of the others, I think Lewsey will be in the Lions squad for certain, probably along with Moody, Kay, Grewcock, Vickery, White and Thompson too. Dawson also has a chance. You've got to remember that Woodward is choosing the squad and knows what these players can do, despite any temporary slight loss of form. There was even talk about the likes of Dallaglio being called up, although that has probably been ruled out. Feel free to laugh at me when the time comes, but I reckon England could have as many as 15 or 16 players in the 44-man squad, certainly at least 9 or 10 :)

Re: British and Irish Lions V Mostly Blacks Well judging by past results in NZ, the Lions might as well not even bother turning up! However, it isn't a foregone conclusion. Don't forget that England won in NZ pre-World Cup, and in theory, the Lions should have a stronger team than that. 1/2 seems about right to me. I don't expect the Lions to win, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they do :)

• 4 weeks later...