Flat Racing - Thursday 23rd May

15:10 Goodwood
I fancy Henry Candy's
The Confessor
to land this class 2 handicap over a course and distance that this gelding clearly acts at with form of 3133 over course and distance. He's also finished 3rd here over 6 furlongs. In fact since winning over course and distance last year off a mark of 86 in a big handicap, he has placed here twice off today's mark of 90. The most recent being on his reappearance at this track 19 days ago where he just seemed to have lacked a recent run having travelled well throughout the race and looking the likely winner at one point in my opinion before running out of steam close to home. The winner that day
George Guru
also goes in this race but my selection has a 5lb swing of the weights in his favour which should be enough to reverse the form in my opinion. The fact he has now had a recent run in him should also make him last home considering this is his preferred trip of 7 furlongs having won 3 of his 4 races over the trip. Cathy Gannon has won on him previously and takes the ride again today. She has only unplaced once on board from 5 runs when in the saddle.
3pt win The Confessor @ 7/2 (
Bet365
- BOG)

Re: Flat Racing - Thursday 23rd May 16:05 Haydock

14:05 Newmarket Charles Hills has made a decent start to the season so far with 7 winners and he holds strong claims in this race with the lightly raced Basseterre who makes his seasonal reappearance here today. He had a good campaign last year as a 3 year old, firstly winning on his debut at Lingfield over a mile, running out a one length winner over Scatter Dice who went on to have a decent campaign himself (won a class 2 handicap off a mark of 87, albeit with a 5lb claimer on board, and is now rated 91). He then went on to make his handicap debut at Windsor off a mark of 77, he was restless in the stalls that day and also missed the break which haltered his chances and that effort is one that can easily be ignored. Switched back to the AW after that where he was narrowly beaten into 2nd place at Kempton before going on to win a handicap at the third attempt off his mark of 77. Raised 5lbs for that when he was sent to Ayr, finishing 3/10. I thought the way he travelled that day was rather eye catching but he was unable to pick up inside the final furlong and was beaten by 2 lengths. A poor effort at Sandown followed that before he landed a class 3 handicap at this track, again over the mile trip. The margin of victory that day was a neck but he fought off the efforts of the 2nd placed horse well to hold on for the win. He then ended 2012 with another run on the AW at Kempton where he finished a close 2nd off a mark of 85 (3lbs higher than his win at Newmarket). Comes here today off a mark of 86 and steps up in trip for the first time to 1m1f today. Looks the type of horse who is likely to improve this season and this longer trip could see some improvement in him. He clearly goes well fresh having won his debut last season so I have no worries about him not being fit for today's run, especially with the stable in decent form as well. The fact he has a course win already suggests he likes it round here and that should add to his chances of winning here today. 2pts win Basseterre @11/2 (WillHill - BOG)
Wrote this about Basseterre for his run last time out at Newmarket. The colt was a shade disappointing that day finishing 5th, 5 lengths off the winner. Whether the extra furlong didn't suit as I expcted it would or possibly he was just in need of the run are the two possible answers to the disappointing run but the fact he's dropped back down to a mile today and is now running over a course and distance he has previously won over are both positives and he also takes a drop in class so I am expecting a big run today despite the trainer not being in quite the same form as of late which is my only concern to another bad run. The godolphin horse is interesting as he takes a big drop in handicap mark for his reappearance so could be dangerous. 2pt win Basseterre @ 7/2 (Bet365 - BOG) 16:40 Haydock I feel Jeremy Noseda's Homage looks the type to improve as a 3 year old and believe the handicapper may have just let this horse in a bit leniently off an opening mark of 78. He only had 3 runs as a 2 year old, his first two efforts ended in 3rd and 2nd finishes in decent maiden races at Newmarket and Newbury respectively. Both those runs were sound efforts and he finally went in on his 3rd race when making the shift over to the all weather for the first time. He was dropped in grade for that race and although he did only win the race by half a length, he did it in good fashion. The trainer has a 24% strike rate with his 3 year olds this season and he could possibly have another 3 year old winner with this one here today. 2pt win Homage @ 4/1 (Bet Victor - BOG)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.