smith17's Thread

I've been thinking about starting a personal thread on here for a couple of weeks now and what better time than the Dante meeting at York. I've done quite well at this meeting the last couple of years and hopefully that will continue this year. I still consider myself to be a complete novice but I'm hoping this thread will see me become a bit more disciplined and will show me my strengths and weaknesses which will hopefully see me improve. It will also be good to track my profit/loss as I haven't really been doing that as well as I should. Most of my bets are on horse racing but I also bet on golf's majors and occasionally on football. I'm going to put them all in here as I want to keep a record of everything. Selections will normally be posted the night before. I use level stakes so it will be 1pt win and .5pt e/w but on very rare occasions I double it if I really fancy something. :hope

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: smith17's Thread 1.45 York: Prompter, 10/1 boylesports, e/w Prompter was last seen over hurdles back in November last year. He hasn't really taken to hurdles winning just 1 minor handicap and being beaten a few times at short odds in his five runs since joining Jonjo O'Neill's stable. His last run on the flat was over 12f on this track back in August 2011. He ran a cracker to finish third, 1L behind Crackentorp. He runs off a three pound lower mark today. He has run well fto twice so the lack of a prep run shouldn't be a problem. Trainer O'Neill has had 4 runners on the flat this month and they all placed. The top class Ryan Moore is in the saddle which is an obvious plus. 2.15 York: Compton, 18/1 William Hill, e/w Compton finished last season with a fourth place finish in a strong handicap at Ascot in October. He finished just ¾L behind subsequent listed winner Jack Dexter. Before that he won a handicap at Ascot. They were both on soft ground and he won his maiden on good to firm so whatever way the ground comes up it should suit. This will be his second run since moving to Robert Cowell's yard. He ran four weeks ago which would have shaken off any cobwebs and he should be in top condition for this. Cowell has had a couple of winners over the last week. Five pound claimer Willie Twiston-Davies is in the saddle. 2.45 York: Woodland Aria, 9/2 boylesports, win Woodland Aria won her only race quite impressively at Wolverhampton. She looked great pre-race and entered the stalls without any fuss. She was slowly away and had to be pushed along for the first furlong or so. She ran a bit green in fifth place and had to be nudged along a couple of times. She was 3L behind the leader rounding the final bend with 2f to go. She was switched from the inside to the middle of the track and she picked up impressively in the final furlong to win by ½l from the odds on favourite, Elik, who ran quite well in a listed race nto. She steps up in trip by about ½f and it will suit. This is her first run on turf but I can't see why it won't suit. Her sire's offspring have a great record on good and good to firm ground and the other two horses her dam produced have both won on good to soft. Trainer John Gosden is in good form as is the top class William Buick. They have teamed up to win this race for the past two years. Liber Nauticus is a big danger if she improves on her maiden win but will she be ready for today?, will she have trained on? and will she get the extra distance? 4.25 York: Peniaphobia, 9/2 Bet365, win Peniaphobia won nicely on debut lto. He broke well from the stalls and was up with the pace all the way. He kicked for home over a furlong out and he finished strongly to win by over 2L. Just three horses from that race have run since then. Third place won well nto as did fifth place in a class 3 Ascot maiden. Second place was disappointing nto. He should come on a bit for the experience and I expect him to go close today. Trainer Richard Fahey has had a good start to the season with 36 winners from 201 runners on the turf. His 2yos are in great form with 6 wins from 13 runs this month. Tony Hamilton keeps the ride having been on board lto. He has rode 5 winners from 12 rides on 2yos this season.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.