BBOTD 16th April

2.40 Southwell Mata Hari Blue isn’t going to get an easier opportunity to get back on the scoreboard than this and anything above evens looks value. Economic Crisis failed to build on seasonal reappearance last time out and is just perhaps too high in handicap now, not beaten far on only try on surface but didn’t particularly look at home. Climaxfortackle has been consistent all winter and has now won back to back over 6f on polytrack up 3lb for narrow victory last time out, always struggled off this sort of mark in past and isn’t entirely straightforward. Drop to 5f also a worry and not guaranteed to get a strong pace here over the straight 5f. No experience of surface but yard know the surface well. Mata Hari Blue goes well on this surface and has the speed to deal with this drop back to 5f and has won twice over this trip. Slightly disappointing effort last time out at Doncaster on the back of a solid run around here over 6f when setting a suicidal pace. Should get a softer lead here and hard to pin back over this trip. 1pt win Mata Hari Blue 11/8 Bet365

Re: BBOTD 16th April 2.30 Exeter Highland Retreat 1pt win @ 5/1 Ladbrokes I have narrowed this one down to Fourovakind and my selection. I just favour the claims of Highland Retreat who won nicely last time out on similar ground and should go well back in a handicap. Noel Fehily took the ride on my selection at Taunton and he looked well in control throughout. The field was well strung out at the finish and I feel there could be more to come from her. She is already a CD winner and looks to improving with every run this season. Conditions will pose no problems and Harry Fry has already proven himself this year as a very capable young trainer. The danger is Fourovakind who is chasing a hat-trick but he is 8lbs higher from his latest win, which might just anchor him.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.