How do you measure success?

How do you measure success?  

1. 1.

• Wins
    • Win strike %
    • Profit/loss
    • ROI
    • Something else (please state)

I've just been doing a little research that arose from discovering the Pareto principle - if applied in horse racing this would mean that the top 20% of trainers/jockeys/sires win 80% of the time over the past 365 days. Now, as far as I can tell, the Pareto Principle is based on number of wins, so I created a list of jockeys sorted by wins on the AW; before today, the Pareto list would go all the way down to Barry McHugh, who has had 10 wins in the time frame, but his winning strike rate is only 8%. A few places below him is Amy Scott, who has had less wins but a 17% strike rate and whereas Barry is -62.95%ROI, Amy is +73.58%ROI! So this got me wondering how other people might measure their success in this game? The jockey with the highest ROI on the AW over the past 365 days... :eek Ann Stokell - 1 win in 33 - 206.06%ROI

Re: How do you measure success? How many wins and also strike rate are not of much importance for myself, I think though that ROI and Profit/Loss are most important facts to measure success in horse racing, if you think about betting at least. That says that ROI and P/L goes along with each other, but only the profit or what what you really have gained at matters the end of day I think. All the rest are just figures with more or less importance but all not so important like the P/L figures.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.