Race In Focus - Betfair Chase - Haydock Racecourse - 24/11/2012

mowgli77

Going to put up a number of threads specifically for the main weekend races up until December. Bowles used to put these up and they are for trends, odds, bets, discussion in advance of the big race. The ante post threads can still be used for bets and discussion but are more general than these specific threads. If they are a success and generate discussion and interest then we'll keep them. If they are dead as a doormat and no one posts in them then we'll bin them and just use the ante post threads on their own. What are thoughts on this race this weekend? The more I looked at it I was fancying Imperial Commander but now that one is out is this just a case of Long Run needing to jump around to win or can Silviniaco Conti improve again and beat the previous Gold Cup winner? I'll be there on Saturday with Whoneedsrio and I'm looking forward to this race. I haven't looked into it in any depth yet and haven't decided on any bets. It would be good to see Long Run back to its best and could set up a fascinating Gold Cup and make Sir Des Champs take notice.

Re: Race In Focus - Betfair Chase - Haydock Racecourse - 24/11/2012 Betfair reports Long Run to be "friendless" in the betting market for this race. Yet he has won 50% of his races and has never been out of the placings. I feel he had jumping issues last season and we know he went to Yogi Breisner to try and iron them out. The Gallops Report from Nicky Henderson's stable as reported in the Sporting Life today states: "LONG RUN has done particularly well and is bang on track for the Betfair Chase at Haydock. Connections believe he may have had a minor issue during part of last season that has now been ironed out. Physically there remains few more imposing jumpers in training." I would definitely like to see Long Run back to his best and thought BillVernon's post in the Kauto Star Retired thread very interesting: "On a side note - I have noted that after a horse has won the Gold cup the next year they do not seem to perform so well but perform better the season after that. Going on that idea then I seriously think you guys should consider Long Run for his races this year including the King George and the Gold Cup.He has been there at the end of play in his last races and basically was the next best alongside Kauto - I really think the season bounce factor figured in his running last season and do consider that so long as he is fit and well and now stronger and rested then he is bang in contention for those Grade 1 races."

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.