BBOTD Tuesday 16th

cpo

4.30 Newcastle Flameoftheforest (FOTF) 1pt win @ 10/1 Ladbrokes This looks as competitive as they come, but the one I am interested in is the Ed de Giles trained FOTF. He is a pretty moderate sprinter but I think his recent form figures don't him do justice and might just be able to run a big race here on ground that will suit. I don't think he necessarily enjoys racing on the all weather yet his last 2 runs have been good, to finish a staying on 4th at Kempton and a staying on 5th at Wolves. If you look at his race before that at Ffos Las, he finished last of 10 behind some very progressive sprinters in Khubala and Prodigality but only finished just over 6 lengths behind them. He wasn't totally outclassed but that was a much better race than the one he contests tomorrow. He drops down from a class 2 to a class 5 and he also drops down 6lbs in the ratings from 80 to 74 which is rather kind of the handicapper. He has at times shown some very good form this year, especially when filling 6th spot at the Curragh back in June. A reproduction of that effort would surely see him right in the firing line for this. That day he finished behind horses such as Arctic and Gordon Lord Byron who are both rated in the 100's. He finished only 3 lengths behind Gordon Lord Byron who is now a group 1 winner. I think on the whole this season, he has been in decent enough form if you take out his runs at Galway and Ffos Las (although they were in much better company). I thought he shaped at Wolverhampton last time out as if he remains in good form and should run a good race here on ground that suits. He was also a CD winner this time last year off a 1lb higher mark on soft ground. A return to turf in heavy conditions should be ideal for my selection and a return to this CD might just see him back in the winners enclosure.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.