** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Poker Break Will It Help ??

Danshot

Well you have probably all noticed my posts with a lack of discipline and disregard for bankroll , I am on a ICE COLD period and getting beaten up badly and this just fuels my desire to want to jump up stakes when I need to be thinking of lowering the level I play. I hate having losing stats it makes me want to just get it all back in one swoop , I don't currently own any form of Poker Tracker but I want to actually track my results to see my EV level and just to be sure where my true ability lies rather then my perceived point of view. I am looking forward to some live poker in Derby , and actually enjoying a fun game WIN OR LOSE Has anyone else tried taking a extended break when running bad , I've tried before but 3 weeks later i'm back to play the same crazy hyper turbos the are a total roller coaster of emotions

Re: Poker Break Will It Help ?? We're all here to help each other, so I'm going to give an honest answer. I don't think a break will help, you don't have the discipline for poker at this stage. I honestly think you should give poker the elbow and find another pastime that makes you happy. Use the money you would save on deposits through September, and use it on starting up something different - golf clubs, a good bike, proper running equipment etc. Throw yourself into your new hobby, and don't think about poker. Don't let poker frustrations affect other aspects of your life - if you're not playing on nights, you could be meeting friends for a couple of drinks, few frames of snooker, join a darts team etc Not being an arse in the slightest, just saying it how I see it. Whatever you choose to do, make sure it makes you happy - you only live once and you have to make the most of it, not wasting it on something that puts you on life-tilt :cheers

Re: Poker Break Will It Help ?? Tilt can be a killer in poker so if you feel you are tilting 100% take a break clear your mind, Bankroll management is also crucial to poker playing above your bankroll is asking for trouble not only because of the amount you are spending per tournament but because the players you are playing against are better players and can work your game out pretty quick. If you cant spot the sucker at the table you are the sucker.

Re: Poker Break Will It Help ?? Having played against you a few times you have a very aggresive style that borders on stupid (imho) you seem to raise with almost any 2 cards then hope you hit, ive seen you bet constantly on a draw when you are getting callers you will bet all 3 streets with air against tight players. there seems to be no thought or reason to your play . unless you think over aggression will buy pots all the time? if you take a break and come back (although i agree with samba try something else) you are going to have to live with losses or change completely

Re: Poker Break Will It Help ?? Wow so everyone is in agreement that it is my inability to play poker that is the issue , I can play a aggro style of poker but most the time isnt half as aggressive as people perceive me to play as far as I'm aware. I often don't bring my A game to the table as find myself too easily on tilt , hopefully you guys that are going to Derby will see how I can play when determined and enjoying myself. Wurzul133 , Your honest assessment of my game is that I'm a crazy donk , I have gone through spells of playing as a tight ultra solid rock but this approach seems to be -EV , I have adapted my game , clearly you have witnessed my absurd side which i'm aware is far from optimal. I hope to have a chance to play the added value games again soon as moving and changing jobs.

Re: Poker Break Will It Help ?? I said the problem was your discipline, not your poker ability, Dan. And I have never, that I can recall, sat at the same table as you and seen you play - I can just go by what I read that you have written recently. I was just answering honestly, as I thought that was what was wanted.

Re: Poker Break Will It Help ?? Samba I apologise , I appreciate the honesty maybe my response with a bit hasty in getting my back up. Poker is something that as been there as a enjoyment for most my adult life , until I got a job and my game has seemed to be effected vastly. I feel I can play on a level were I can play a higher level of poker than micro and low players but fail to go about to in the right way and with no overall objective. I have maybe turned to this site as too much of a rant zone when the only person at fault is myself for not using BRM or good game selection. In short I expect a lot of myself and most this is largely unrealistic/

• 2 months later...

Re: Poker Break Will It Help ?? yes breaks from poker can help because imo if you play all day everyday when your running bad it will just drive you mad, as humans if we do something a certain way and it dosent work we will obviously change that the point being if you know your a competent player just stick to your game. variance is obviously brutal in mtts and even worse in turbos where you have to force the action. the easiest way i can explain variance is take aa v 22 your aa is 80% favourite and 22 20% dog so lets take 1000 runs aa would win 800 and 22 would win 200 but the thing is is that the 200 wins from 22 can come all in one go. hope i explained myself well. just remember over time variance will even itself out. gl