Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September

staffy

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September I feel that Swansea are a good price @ 5/4 here. They have scored 8 goals in two games, and have been very tight at the back, conceding none. Sunderland have only had the 1 game so far, Arsenal away where they got a 0-0 draw, but Arsenal were completely dominant that day, just could not put the ball away. Sunderland are a dogged side, but are going to be missing Bardsley and Brown in defence which is a big blow. Rangel, Williams, Taylor and Chico have been excellent in defence for the Swans, Michu,, Dyer and Britton have really impressed me in midfield, and Danny Graham is always going to be a handful at home. I expect Swansea to have the majority of the possession, and Routledge to cause a lot of havoc on the wing. Michu has been a terrific signing for the team, they play a tidy passing game, and work for the ball when they don't have it, i feel they will have too much for Sunderland at home this weekend, and should continue their fantastic start to the season. Swansea are my only bet this weekend. *Swansea - 10 Points WIN @ 5/4 BetVictor*

Swansea look too obvious a bet for me. They've had a superb start to the season, and it's no surprise to see them continuing what Rodgers started at Swansea. However I think west ham were far too predictable in how they set themselves up, and I thought pre season that Big sam's tactics would get west ham found out. They set themselves up immediately with a negative move, which left them nowhere to turn if they go a goal down, and Swansea subsequently ran out easy 3-0 winners. I'd like to think Martin O'Neill will be a little bit more tactically astute here. I backed the unders on Saturday for west ham, but here I am more confident again taking it. As I think Swansea will again have the majority of possession, and Sunderland should be a little more defensively organised and tactically aware than west ham were, so I can easily see this being A tight draw, or a small win to the swans. Remember as well that Sunderland have had a break this weekend, with their game against reading postponed. That could be a good or bad thing. With both Swansea and Sunderland involved in the cup on Tuesday, Sunderland may enjoy more time to prepare. Will Steven fletcher be available by then?

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September Yes I also think unders is a good option here; I think that although Swansea movement was great against West Ham, it was two defensive mistakes that put Swans 2-0 up. Sunderland are a better organized team and I think they will not let in too many, so the tie may well end up in a 0-0 draw, like it did last season. Worth to remember also that most of Swansea games went under last season.

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September @Jase82 I don't know how fit Fletcher is but I found something that MON said:"After playing for England, Adam is a lot fitter than Steven Fletcher." So I think the next match will probably come too soon for him. Maybe he will get some minutes in the end but I cannot see him starting. Maybe after the international break but not this weekend.

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September Hi! First of all, sorry for my bad english. I would think more carefully about betting on under 2.5 goals. I think so because I saw the match between Swansea and West Ham, and althoug you are right about the first two goals of Swansea, that they were lucky, West Ham had a lot of chances too to score a goal, and I think Swansea was also lucky in defense. Overall I think that Sunderland has the quality to score at least a goal, and Swansea has shown already that they can score goals, even if they are lucky goals. My bet: Swansea to win 2.20 at Stanleybet

@Jase82 I don't know how fit Fletcher is but I found something that MON said:"After playing for England, Adam is a lot fitter than Steven Fletcher." So I think the next match will probably come too soon for him. Maybe he will get some minutes in the end but I cannot see him starting. Maybe after the international break but not this weekend.
Apparently both Steven fletcher and Adam Johnson are set to make their debuts tonight against morecambe.

Why would Swansea be afraid of Stephen Fletcher? He is a championship player to my eyes. £12m is just laughable.
Well that's subjective aidy.... I agree £12m is a lot, maybe £8m would be a fairer price (not forgetting of course that that £12m will probably be made up of instalments, and add ons). He did score 12 goals for a relegated Wolves side last season, which isn't something to be sniffed at, and Sunderland are really lacking in that department as it is, so anyone would probably be a bonus for them. I think Swansea will fear Adam Johnson more, as the combination of him, with a goalscorer like Steven fletcher could be fairly potent...

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September

Well that's subjective aidy.... I agree £12m is a lot, maybe £8m would be a fairer price (not forgetting of course that that £12m will probably be made up of instalments, and add ons). He did score 12 goals for a relegated Wolves side last season, which isn't something to be sniffed at, and Sunderland are really lacking in that department as it is, so anyone would probably be a bonus for them. I think Swansea will fear Adam Johnson more, as the combination of him, with a goalscorer like Steven fletcher could be fairly potent...
The Swans already ate Cisse and Carlton Cole for breakfast. Fletcher did ok for Wolves last year, still doesn't mean he is a dangerous striker. For £12m, he was a poor buy by Sunderland imo. He will struggle to score 12 goals this season.

As far as I know Fletcher scored te most headed goals in the EPL last season. With Johnson & McLean supplying crosses, he may do ok. Swansea looked vuberable to crosses against West Ham last weekend. If it was later in the season, and these Sunderland players were showing some form, then I would probably back them in some form.

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September I have spent most of the week trying to think of a reason not to take Swansea in this and I can't find one. It seems an obvious bet like Jase has said but I can't go against them. Swansea have been impressive in their first two games winning them both scoring eight goals in the process and keeping two clean sheets. Michu in particular has proved to be a fantastic signing filling the whole left by Sigurdsson, scoring three goals already. Sunderland have only played one league game drawing 0-0 away at Arsenal were they were dominated and only came away with a point due to Arsenals poor finishing. They have since strengthened bringing in Fletcher and Johnson who will provide creativity going forward. With Saha and Fletcher in the squad Sunderlands striking options have improved but Swansea have coped well with Cisse, Cole and Maiga so far this season who are a similair quality to Sunderlands strike force. Swansea will dominate possession with Sunderland sitting back and looking to hit them on the counter attack using the pace of Johnson, Sessegnon and McClean. Swansea 2.2 BetVictor

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September Think this is one of the trickier games to call. It looks an obvious one but Sunderland have only played one game in the league so are hard to weigh up. They managed to prevent Arsenal from scoring which doesn't look the hardest of things to do at the moment but this was still a great result for them away from home. They won comfortably in the cup midweek with Adam Johnson having a successful debut creating both goals. James McClean was one of their best players last year and he scored twice midweek. I think the Sunderland threat without doubt comes from their midfield as its hard to know where Fletcher is fitness wise and form wise. Sunderland are proving to be very organised and tough to break down as Swansea found last year as they were unable to score against them. I think as with Sunderland, the Swansea threat comes from their midfield as I am still yet to be convinced by Graham. He is a great finisher but lacks other attributes of top strikers in the league such as pace and skill. I fancy Sunderland to be well organised in this and try and do something on the counter attack. There will be large periods of the game where they will not have the ball and this could frustrate the likes of CLATTERmole. It wouldn't surprise me if he got sent off in this. Still I don't think there will be many goals in the game with 0-0 very likely. Not sure whether to have a bet in the game yet but I definitely fancy UNDERS in this game and possibly the 0-0 draw.

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September The way Swansea have been playing here there can only be one winner! Swansea with Everton and Chelsea have hit top gear straight away. Sunderland I feel will be abit rusty because of there game called off with reading. And will take them a few more games to get going Swansea win!

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September I can't help but be wary of this game, the main reason I am always worried about form, Swansea's run has to come to an end eventually, for the exact same reason i am wary of backing Blackpool this weekend. Yes, yes i know we're only two games into the season, but Swansea have attracted a lot of attention following the start of the season they have had. Following on from Rodger's departure in the summer people were questioning whether Laudrup and his management style could cut it in the prem, admittedly so far they have. Know they have shown their 5-0 thrashing of QPR on the opening day wasn't luck, lets see how they fare against Martin O'Neill and Sunderland. But what better, (or perhaps worse in swansea's case), test to come against than one in the form of Sunderland, led Martin O'Neill, a man renowned for his man management his well put together squads rigidly assembled to be hard to beat. With a newly trumped set of forwards including Fletcher, Johnson, Sessegnon, McClean, they will pose a threat. They aren't going to let themselves be overrun by Swansea, yet they will know they cannot match their passing. I think it could be a game similar to that of Sunderland v Man City last season at stadium of Light. For that reason i would go with a double chance bet. Sunderland or Draw 8/13 (PaddyPower) Under 2.5 goals @ 1.83 (Betfair)

]I can't help but be wary of this game' date=' the main reason I am always worried about form, Swansea's run has to come to an end eventually, for the exact same reason i am wary of backing Blackpool this weekend. Yes, yes i know we're only two games into the season, but Swansea have attracted a lot of attention following the start of the season they have had.[/b'] Following on from Rodger's departure in the summer people were questioning whether Laudrup and his management style could cut it in the prem, admittedly so far they have. Know they have shown their 5-0 thrashing of QPR on the opening day wasn't luck, lets see how they fare against Martin O'Neill and Sunderland. But what better, (or perhaps worse in swansea's case), test to come against than one in the form of Sunderland, led Martin O'Neill, a man renowned for his man management his well put together squads rigidly assembled to be hard to beat. With a newly trumped set of forwards including Fletcher, Johnson, Sessegnon, McClean, they will pose a threat. They aren't going to let themselves be overrun by Swansea, yet they will know they cannot match their passing. I think it could be a game similar to that of Sunderland v Man City last season at stadium of Light. For that reason i would go with a double chance bet. Sunderland or Draw 8/13 (PaddyPower) Under 2.5 goals @ 1.83 (Betfair)
Taking a bet because something "has to come to an end" is a sure fire way to loose money as I found out. If say a side lost four games in a row they aren't any more likely to pick up a result in the next game than they were in the previous ones. Man City last season won 18 home games if you opposed them after say two or three games you would of lost a lot of money backing against them.

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September Swansea + 0.5 @ 1.32 Bet 365 This looks good enough to throw into a multi with something else from around the football universe... I agree Sunderland will be hard to break down but I believe the tone will be set in the first 10-20 mins of the match and an early goal could open the flood gates. Things in favour of this bet:

• Sunderland's two new guys haven't had sufficient time to gel completely. Morecambe at home is hardly an indicator.
  • They only have had the Arsenal game 2 weeks ago as a real test of where they're at and got dominated (by a passing team mind you)
  • Swansea will have the ball alot and are infront of a vocal home support.

Also supporting this bet is the fact that:

1. Swansea DID NOT LOSE 15 out of 19 Home games last season
  2. Sunderland DID NOT WIN 15 out of 19 Away games last season

Plus Michu and Dyer looked dangerous last week and I really do think Laudrap will be a quality manager this season.

Taking a bet because something "has to come to an end" is a sure fire way to loose money as I found out. If say a side lost four games in a row they aren't any more likely to pick up a result in the next game than they were in the previous ones. Man City last season won 18 home games if you opposed them after say two or three games you would of lost a lot of money backing against them.
Im not saying that because some form has to end one way or another i would bet against the current run of form i meant it makes me weary about betting on the game at all. But then i went on to explain how i would bet in the game, were i to put some money on it.

Sunderland have agreed to sign Danny rose on a season long loan... Looks a great bit of business by MON if they can get that one through....
He was on loan to my team Bristol City about two seasons ago and he was awful, one good goal and he seems massively over rated

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September I think this match could be a tighter one than expected. Swansea have played two games, won both, conceded 0. However, the score at QPR was flattering and the other team was West Ham (at home). Taking those two teams and their style of play into account, I wouldn't back Swansea based on that. Sunderland have earned one credible draw against Arsenal, which may have seemed a tad fortunate, but Arsenal had 1, maybe 2 clear-cut chances, the rest were merely ambitious attempts. The introduction of Johnson and Fletcher should help the Sunderland attack. Swansea look strong going forward, whilst Sunderland look good defensively and on the counter-attack, therefore I can only see the draw worth taking here. Draw @ 2.20 Various 1-1 Correct Score @ 7.00 Various

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September Over 2.5 goals 2.16 @ Betfair Am i the only one that thinks Over 2.5 goals looks a real possibility here. Swansea have started the season brilliantly putting 5 past QPR and 3 past West Ham last weekend. They have looked very dangerous going forward with Michu playing behind Danny Graham and Sinclair and Dyer on the wings and although Sinclair has gone, his replacement Routledge is still a tricky player. However, despite having not conceded a goal so far this season i think that will end tomorrow. Although Swansea generally don't concede too many at home i think they will concede a least one tomorrow as Sunderland look fairly threatening in attack with the likes of new boys Fletcher and Johnson as well as Larsson and Sessegnon with Saha on the bench as well. However, defensively they don't look that great and although the kept a clean sheet at the Emirates, that was more down to poor finishing from Arsenal rather than spectacular defending from Sunderland and i can see them shipping a couple tomorrow as Swansea will be full of confidence having scored 8 in their first 2 games. However, although i think Swansea will probably edge it i don't think the price is worth taking at 2.2. Instead i'm going to back over 2.5 goals 2.16 @ Betfair as i think both sides are better going forward than they are at the back and i expect goals in this one.

Re: Swansea v Sunderland > 1st September Sunderland +0.5 (AH) @ 1.826 (Pinnacle) I think there is value in Sunderland today. Swansea, as everyone knows, play a patient passing game and wait for the space to create a goalscoring opportunity. They also play very well on the break. Sunderland play a different kind of counter attacking football; they will soak up the pressure, and then hit you on the break. I believe Swansea's style of football will play into Sunderland's hands. With the likes of Seb Larsson, Adam Johnson, McClean and Campbell, Sunderland have lots of quick players who can both take the ball past players and score. Don't get me wrong, though, Swansea have played superbly so far this season, but they have played a QPR team with almost an entirely new set of players, and a poor West Ham side. Sunderland offer a different challenge and the difference between the quality of the two sides is minimal. I would say that at odds of 1.826, the line should be set at +0.25, so I am happy to take this bet for pure value reasons.

Sunderland +0.5 (AH) @ 1.826 (Pinnacle) I think there is value in Sunderland today. Swansea, as everyone knows, play a patient passing game and wait for the space to create a goalscoring opportunity. They also play very well on the break. Sunderland play a different kind of counter attacking football; they will soak up the pressure, and then hit you on the break. I believe Swansea's style of football will play into Sunderland's hands. With the likes of Seb Larsson, Adam Johnson, McClean and Campbell, Sunderland have lots of quick players who can both take the ball past players and score. Don't get me wrong, though, Swansea have played superbly so far this season, but they have played a QPR team with almost an entirely new set of players, and a poor West Ham side. Sunderland offer a different challenge and the difference between the quality of the two sides is minimal. I would say that at odds of 1.826, the line should be set at +0.25, so I am happy to take this bet for pure value reasons.
Easy. 2/2 in PL today :ok

Swansea + 0.5 @ 1.32 Bet 365 This looks good enough to throw into a multi with something else from around the football universe... I agree Sunderland will be hard to break down but I believe the tone will be set in the first 10-20 mins of the match and an early goal could open the flood gates. Things in favour of this bet:
  • Sunderland's two new guys haven't had sufficient time to gel completely. Morecambe at home is hardly an indicator.
  • They only have had the Arsenal game 2 weeks ago as a real test of where they're at and got dominated (by a passing team mind you)
  • Swansea will have the ball alot and are infront of a vocal home support.

Also supporting this bet is the fact that:

1. Swansea DID NOT LOSE 15 out of 19 Home games last season
  2. Sunderland DID NOT WIN 15 out of 19 Away games last season

Plus Michu and Dyer looked dangerous last week and I really do think Laudrap will be a quality manager this season.

I think this match could be a tighter one than expected. Swansea have played two games, won both, conceded 0. However, the score at QPR was flattering and the other team was West Ham (at home). Taking those two teams and their style of play into account, I wouldn't back Swansea based on that. Sunderland have earned one credible draw against Arsenal, which may have seemed a tad fortunate, but Arsenal had 1, maybe 2 clear-cut chances, the rest were merely ambitious attempts. The introduction of Johnson and Fletcher should help the Sunderland attack. Swansea look strong going forward, whilst Sunderland look good defensively and on the counter-attack, therefore I can only see the draw worth taking here. Draw @ 2.20 Various 1-1 Correct Score @ 7.00 Various
Over 2.5 goals 2.16 @ Betfair Am i the only one that thinks Over 2.5 goals looks a real possibility here. Swansea have started the season brilliantly putting 5 past QPR and 3 past West Ham last weekend. They have looked very dangerous going forward with Michu playing behind Danny Graham and Sinclair and Dyer on the wings and although Sinclair has gone, his replacement Routledge is still a tricky player. However, despite having not conceded a goal so far this season i think that will end tomorrow. Although Swansea generally don't concede too many at home i think they will concede a least one tomorrow as Sunderland look fairly threatening in attack with the likes of new boys Fletcher and Johnson as well as Larsson and Sessegnon with Saha on the bench as well. However, defensively they don't look that great and although the kept a clean sheet at the Emirates, that was more down to poor finishing from Arsenal rather than spectacular defending from Sunderland and i can see them shipping a couple tomorrow as Swansea will be full of confidence having scored 8 in their first 2 games. However, although i think Swansea will probably edge it i don't think the price is worth taking at 2.2. Instead i'm going to back over 2.5 goals 2.16 @ Betfair as i think both sides are better going forward than they are at the back and i expect goals in this one.
Sunderland +0.5 (AH) @ 1.826 (Pinnacle) I think there is value in Sunderland today. Swansea, as everyone knows, play a patient passing game and wait for the space to create a goalscoring opportunity. They also play very well on the break. Sunderland play a different kind of counter attacking football; they will soak up the pressure, and then hit you on the break. I believe Swansea's style of football will play into Sunderland's hands. With the likes of Seb Larsson, Adam Johnson, McClean and Campbell, Sunderland have lots of quick players who can both take the ball past players and score. Don't get me wrong, though, Swansea have played superbly so far this season, but they have played a QPR team with almost an entirely new set of players, and a poor West Ham side. Sunderland offer a different challenge and the difference between the quality of the two sides is minimal. I would say that at odds of 1.826, the line should be set at +0.25, so I am happy to take this bet for pure value reasons.
Easy. 2/2 in PL today :ok
Some great bets here folks. Sunderland deserved a draw at the very least. Well done! P.S I take back what i said about Fletcher.