Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 Bit early to be making predictions as the season is still 6 weeks away but this looks like it has got draw written all over it IMO. I think both teams will be happy with a point and this should be an entertaining game. Can see this ending 1-1 or 2-2.

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 I am a newcastle fan but try and keep a sense of realism for our team.... I think my biggest wins on football has come from actually OPPOSING newcastle (a 4-0 drubbing by Arsenal a while back), but this was almost matched by £100 on newcastle top 4 @ 66/1 last season which was quoted around January and represented tremendous value (managed to lay off for 1k profit but let the rest ride). Suffice to say, I think newcastle were certainly the value team last season. To actually be favourites against spuds is remarkable and I think the bookies are finally waking up now. Nevertheless, I would back Newcastle to win the opening game against most teams, spuds included. The odds are pretty good for them! I think there may be a bit of hidden value in backing Yohan Cabaye for first/anytime goal for the first few games though (he was a bit of a hidden gem in the french squad imo and has been seriously undervalue) , especially since he will be quoted @ around 7/1 and 7/4 or something similar. Would avoid HBA, and I don't see Ba warming up quickly if we have the same attacking lineup. Cisse is the obvious choice though.

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 Do Newcastle play any Europa league games before this game? Could change the way the match plays out. Although a lot can change before the game comes round a draw represents the best value for me. Newcastle have a habit of drawing against North London teams at the Sports Direct Arena, their last 3 have finished draws (4-4, 0-0 Arsenal , 2-2 Spurs) .

Do Newcastle play any Europa league games before this game? Could change the way the match plays out. Although a lot can change before the game comes round a draw represents the best value for me. Newcastle have a habit of drawing against North London teams at the Sports Direct Arena, their last 3 have finished draws (4-4, 0-0 Arsenal , 2-2 Spurs) .
Brooke's correct.... Newcastle are seeded into the playoff round and will play their games on 23rd and 30th August.

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 I find it so so hard to predict opening day games, as we just don't know what we are going to see. This looks to me like a game that could finish up any result, is it possible to have a confident bet on this match, or most of the opening day matches?

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012

I find it so so hard to predict opening day games' date=' as we just don't know what we are going to see. This looks to me like a game that could finish up any result, is it possible to have a confident bet on this match, or most of the opening day matches?[/quote'] Agree with that. i might even skip first 2 rounds of fixtures and place no bets.

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 Have to agree with Aidy and Mustafa, it's common sense to hold off on the opening few games of the season as you get a better understanding of the teams and how they are gelling together. We are still a month away from this fixture, who's to say what the teams will be like then, how will the starting line ups differ from what we expect now? If you were to believe the media and the rumour mill then Cabaye, Tiote, Carroll, Defoe, Lloris & Modric might or might not feature in this fixture. Modric is probably a given but the others .... who knows until Aug 18th. I know people are enthusiastic but there are too many factors that affect all outcomes be it match result or unders/overs. **Slaps Brooke on the Shoulder** Brooke, I know you are just conversing at the moment and giving your view on each of the opening matches but don't feel you have to bet on each game. Sometimes keeping your powder dry is the best betting option. :ok

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 I'd say this will end with a 1-0 or probably 2-1 in favour of Newcastle United. Just out of spite to Spurs for putting AVB at the helm, I'm going with the Magpies. :spank Tottenham is not just the same without Redknapp. Wonder if they'll land Carroll though, after releasing another 16m bid for him. Hopefully they don't let Demba Ba go. Or else, I might go with the Spurs

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 I think a lot of people are underestimating Spurs and AVB next season and i don't get why so many people think they will do terrible under AVB. In regards to players we haven't really weakened that much even if we do lose Modric who coming from a Spurs fan is a very overrated player and not worth anywhere near £35 million and is worth about £20-£25 million max. We have brought in Sigurdsson, Vertonghen and possibly Adebayor permanently. If AVB plays 4-3-3 like i expect him to then that will suit Tottenham perfectly whereas at Chelsea they didn't have the right players to play that way. I really can't see Van Der Vaart leaving and in all honesty i would be quite surprised if we finished lower than 5th. I really don't think Modric will be a huge miss to us as he is a good passer and dribbler of the ball but not much else and he very rarely plays a killer pass to set up a goal and he just keeps things ticking. Yes Newcastle will be a tough first game but i really don't think their defence is that great although they have real quality up front with Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa. Because this game is too close to call IMO and could go either way i think the most sensible bet may be the Over 2.5 goals which is a best priced 10/11 @ William Hill. Another safer bet that i am confident will happen in this game is Both teams to score which is 4/6 @ Bet365.

AVB was under completely different restraints at Chelsea. We all know how abramovich is as a chairman, so I don't think AVB became a poor manager overnight. Just remember at the start of the season he was the next mourinho and he was going to win chelsea the title etc.... Probably best to see how they perform after 6-10 games and then judge. If they're sitting bottom by that point by all means get the knives out. Spurs will in all likelihood lose modric, but bale has signed on and van der vaart looks like he's staying. The one for me, which no one seems to have picked up on is the loss of Ledley king. He has been their best player/defender for years now, and it got to a point where they even allowed him not to train I believe, simply because he was that vital to them. How they replace him defensively will IMO be a bigger issue than who will replace modric. Spurs have had players fill that midfield position before and they'll have players after, but defensively they've just lost potentially one of the best English defenders of the last ten years. Only injuries and the likes of terry and Ferdinand kept him from making a ton of England caps.

Well hamburg we're the only club linked (don't quote me on that as they're the only club I can think of right now) and they've come out and said its a no go, and the latest quotes from VDV are that he'll be a spurs player next season and that things are looking up Under AVB this season. I'm not saying they'll do better under AVB than Redknapp at all. Just that it doesn't appear at first glance to be all doom and gloom right now. But I do think they'll struggle to better anything Redknapp achieved over the last four seasons, with anyone at the helm. So I think it's worth not falling into the trap of believing AVB has failed before a ball has been kicked I do agree with you though that the value seems to be on newcastle's side as spurs may be in a mini transitional period now because they look to be losing a few long standing players, as well as the a change to the management team. Newcastle, of they keep their best performers from last season should be in slightly better shape for this first game.

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 I do doubt AVB will do what Redknapp did(two 4th place finishes in 3 years) but a part of me has a feeling that Spurs are a better fit for his managerial style. He tried to waltz into Chelsea and put his stamp on it, play a European type game with a high line and pressing with energy higher up the pitch, however Chelsea have alot of egos and once results werent going for him(and others in the past) they kicked up a fuss and got him the boot. But AVB was also stubborn and could easily have shifted back to a more traditional style Chelsea were suited to and had used throughout their successful years recently. The key point was that Chelsea did not have the personnel to execute what AVB wanted IMO, you cant ask John Terry to play that high up the pitch, he's been a top defender but has always hated space in behind, he defends the box better than most, with play in front of him. Di Matteo came back in and Chelsea reverted to a basic defensive/counter-attacking style and no surprises, they looked better(although league form was still patchy, maybe motivation waned as they had nothing to go for bar 4th which could be and was achieved by winning the CL). The main game which highlighted it for me was our(Arsenal) 5-3 win at Stamford Bridge.....now there was a time when we owned Chelsea's arses but since Abramovich and his oil money came into town, we have not done well at Stamford Bridge....no matter the manager, the pattern was similar each time, we would pass the ball alot without really threatening, Chelsea defending in numbers deep allowing us to 'dominate', they would have 3 or 4 attacks on the counter once we pushed forward and punish us(Drogba usually), once we were behind they would repeat and do it again. Under AVB Chelsea played a high line against us and we scored 5 and missed more good chances, crazy high line against Walcott Gervinho and Van Persie...say what you want about Walcott but you give him freedom to run into space and he can hurt you. Now Spurs on the other hand have plenty of energy, pace, legs, a more youthful feel than Chelsea(although ironically Chelsea are now buying players that you think AVB could have needed for his project)................so I'm sceptical about AVB matching or outperforming Redknapp but I dont think he'll bomb either and I'd expect Spurs to be well in the mix fighting for CL places with ourselves, Chelsea, maybe Newcastle. As for Ledley King, I actually think it's a positive for Spurs. He was showing some bad signs last season and was taking up a crucial squad space. As for this match, looks a real tough one on paper. If I was pricing it at this early stage(where alot of guesswork takes place), it would be pretty close to the bookies current prices, slight advantage for the Toon based on home advantage.

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 I think that this is going to be a difficult one to call, and the prices show that there isn't much in it as far as the bookies are concerned. I would imagine that there will be little or no value in the handicap markets because of how tight this fixture is. As will all the other threads not a lot can be said at the moment and both teams could see some big changes in personnel, however Spuds seem the more likely candidate for this to happen. Bring a new manager into the equation (spuds) and the situation is further muddled. If this game was near the end of last season I would take Newcastle at that price, and if it is still available near the start of the season I might be tempted by it, however all we can really do is wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 4pts Over 2.5 goals 10/11 Coral I expect this to be an open game between two sides who look stronger going forward than they do in defence. That’s not to say either are awful in defence but their attacks look very good and should produce a few goals in this match and a number of goals over the season. Both sides have goals in them from midfield as well as attack which makes the over 2.5 goals an attractive bet in the opening match of the season for both sides. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/newcastle-vs-tottenham-betting-two-quality-attacking-sides-can-produce-more-than-2-5-goals-in-tea-time-clash

4pts Over 2.5 goals 10/11 Coral I expect this to be an open game between two sides who look stronger going forward than they do in defence. That’s not to say either are awful in defence but their attacks look very good and should produce a few goals in this match and a number of goals over the season. Both sides have goals in them from midfield as well as attack which makes the over 2.5 goals an attractive bet in the opening match of the season for both sides. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/newcastle-vs-tottenham-betting-two-quality-attacking-sides-can-produce-more-than-2-5-goals-in-tea-time-clash
Ba, Cisse, Cabaye and Ben Arfa are all doubts and they have to be assessed. Without these players, Newcastle will be almost unable to score. Tottenham misses Parker and Gomes through injuries.

Re: Newcastle v Spurs Saturday 18th August 2012 Always need to be mindful betting on the first weekends action but given the current injury doubts that Newcastle have, I do feel Spurs are nicely priced here. If Ba and Cisse are out, and with Cabeye and Ben Arfa also doubtful then RedDevil is right, it will be very tough for Newcastle to make a breakthrough here. With Vertonghan brought in over the summer, Spurs do look in better defensive shape, and they are likely to continue with 2 deeper lying midfielders (Sandro and Livermore probably for this one) to offer protection to the defence. This I would suggest should be enough to keep a weakened Newcastle under control. Going forward Spurs do have questions over them. It will be interesting to see how they adapt without the guile of Modric, and I don't believe that Defoe and possibly even Lennon are the type of player that AVB wants in the long run but they still have enough raw pace and quality of trouble Newcastle and they for me are the more likely victors here. I will wait for more team news, but at 2.0 the Spurs DNB option is tempting.

This looks a no bet now. Newcastle have got everyone back fit.
At the prices available its a clear home bet for me. Full strength Toon v Spurs. Maybe an Asian but Its a great price for Newcastle at home. Even Taylor is back puts a heap of confidence in me with Williamson not there to mess things up.