Would You Fold Quads? Mikhail Smirnov Mucks Quads In $1 Million Event

teaulc

Phil Galfond just witnessed the unthinkable. “I’ve never seen a fold like that, absolutely not,” the cash game pro said. At around 5 p.m. local time during the fourth blind level, Galfond was present to see his table mate in the $1 million buy-in WSOP event, Russian semi-pro Mikhail Smirnov, fold quads on the river to an all-in bet. According to Smirnov, the action started with Tom Dwan opening to 32,000. Smirnov called from the small blind with the 8heart.gif 8diamond.gif, and businessman John Morgan called from the big blind. The flop fell Jspade.gif 8club.gif 7spade.gif. Smirnov bet 50,000, Morgan called quickly, and Dwan folded. The 8spade.gif hit the turn. Smirnov bet 200,000. Morgan called instantly. Smirnov said Morgan looked very excited on the turn. The Kspade.gif landed on the river, and Smirnov bet 700,000, which was more than the pot of 600,000. Morgan thought about it briefly and then shoved for about 3.4 million total, which was about the size of Smirnov’s stack. Smirnov folded the quads face up. “For me, it was a very easy fold,” Smirnov said. “If he had two kings before the flop he would have re-raised Dwan, because he’s been active and raising a lot. So, two kings was impossible. Two jacks, in theory, was possible.” Smirnov said that he thought jacks full of eights wouldn’t have been such a confident shove on the river. “He was like all-in, no problem. Before he had been playing very carefully and tight.” According to his logic, Morgan would have the 10spade.gif 9spade.gif. The size of the buy-in was not a factor in the decision, Smirnov said. He added that Morgan seemed visibly upset after the hand, giving more validity to the fold. “I personally couldn’t have done it,” Galfond said. “I’d lose sleep. But, I think it was a reasonable fold actually. There are definitely very few hands John could have had that weren’t a straight flush. Jacks full was probably the one that made the most sense, other than a straight flush.” According to Galfond, the table erupted once the quads were shown. Dwan left the table in disbelief. Smirnov, who has a Ph.D in economics, is a regular in huge cash games in Russia. On Tuesday, more than $18 million will go to the last man standing in the 48-player field.

Re: Would You Fold Quads? Mikhail Smirnov Mucks Quads In $1 Million Event IMO I think he must have had the sraight flush with the 10 9 spades. If your opponant folds showing quads, regardless of what you have if your behind you would show it and crush him mentally, the only reason not to show....is that you had him beat.

Re: Would You Fold Quads? Mikhail Smirnov Mucks Quads In $1 Million Event Stunning laydown, and perhaps the lack of knowing for certain, either way, will play on his mind for longer. Smirnov didn't make the money or the Final Table - can Sam take it down? [TABLE=class: usertable]

[TR] [TH]Seat[/TH] [TH]Player[/TH] [TH]Country[/TH] [TH]Age[/TH] [TH]Chip Count[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1[/TD] [TD]Guy Laliberté[/TD] [TD]Canada[/TD] [TD]52[/TD] [TD]21,700,000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]2[/TD] [TD]Brian Rast[/TD] [TD]USA[/TD] [TD]30[/TD] [TD]11,350,000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]3[/TD] [TD]Phil Hellmuth[/TD] [TD]USA[/TD] [TD]47[/TD] [TD]10,925,000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]4[/TD] [TD]Antonio Esfandiari[/TD] [TD]USA[/TD] [TD]33[/TD] [TD]39,925,000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]5[/TD] [TD]Bobby Baldwin[/TD] [TD]USA[/TD] [TD]62[/TD] [TD]7,150,000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]6[/TD] [TD]Sam Trickett[/TD] [TD]UK[/TD] [TD]26[/TD] [TD]37,000,000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]7[/TD] [TD]Richard Yong[/TD] [TD]China[/TD] [TD]54[/TD] [TD]7,475,000[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]8[/TD] [TD]David Einhorn[/TD] [TD]USA[/TD] [TD]43[/TD] [TD]8,375,000[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Would You Fold Quads? Mikhail Smirnov Mucks Quads In $1 Million Event I have to confess I wouldn't even know whether quads or a straight flush were the stronger hand :$ Am I the only one? Afterall, its not exactly a match up we need to consider very often!

Re: Would You Fold Quads? Mikhail Smirnov Mucks Quads In $1 Million Event

I have to confess I wouldn't even know whether quads or a straight flush were the stronger hand :$ Am I the only one? Afterall' date=' its not exactly a match up we need to consider very often![/quote'] jeez Gaf, you have actually shocked me,:loon

Re: Would You Fold Quads? Mikhail Smirnov Mucks Quads In $1 Million Event Serioulsy, no fcking way im folding? I dont care what the buy in is, or even what your gut feeling is, and i am glad he did not make the money, its poker! If your gonna lay down quads then risk your life later with AK off, what the fck is the point? You got your fame from buying in, will he get it from laying that hand down?

Re: Would You Fold Quads? Mikhail Smirnov Mucks Quads In $1 Million Event "The size of the buy-in was not a factor in the decision, Smirnov said. He added that Morgan seemed visibly upset after the hand, giving more validity to the fold" He had a flush, i would pretend too luck upset, the whole world will see it!! Sponsorship Fcked