a hand from BBP Final Table

teaulc

i have recently adjusted my game a bit,but would still like to know peoples thoughts on this hand. GAME #4153498298: Texas Hold'em NL Tournament 2012-06-05 22:47:47 Table League XV, 726131571, 5668151311 (Tournament: League XV Buy-In: $5.00+$0.50) Seat 1: tealcSVU ($15,094.50 in chips) Seat 2: JosseWales ($30,998.54 in chips) Seat 3: FalconAyr ($28,158.72 in chips) Seat 4: cheekyweeguy ($4,617.97 in chips) Seat 5: nickhem1 ($20,624.52 in chips) Seat 6: nicenutter ($23,362.62 in chips) DEALER Seat 9: PhilDee64 ($19,076.40 in chips) Seat 10: NPStars1 ($3,566.73 in chips) PhilDee64: Post Ante $160.00 NPStars1: Post Ante $160.00 tealcSVU: Post Ante $160.00 JosseWales: Post Ante $160.00 FalconAyr: Post Ante $160.00 cheekyweeguy: Post Ante $160.00 nickhem1: Post Ante $160.00 nicenutter: Post Ante $160.00 PhilDee64: Post SB $800.00 NPStars1: Post BB $1,600.00 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to tealcSVU [sA S10] tealcSVU: Raise (NF) $4,800.00 JosseWales: Fold FalconAyr: Fold cheekyweeguy: Allin $4,457.97 nickhem1: Fold nicenutter: Fold PhilDee64: Raise (NF) $8,000.00 NPStars1: Fold tealcSVU: Fold *** FLOP *** [s4 D7 H10] *** TURN *** [D10] *** RIVER *** [C3] *** SUMMARY *** Total pot $20,137.97 Rake $0.00 cheekyweeguy: Shows [C5 HA] PhilDee64: Shows [CJ CA] PhilDee64: wins $20,137.97

Re: a hand from BBP Final Table With about 10 big blinds and antes in play, I'd virtually never consider anything except folding and shoving, first to act. UTG, 8-handed, with A10s, it's close. At a typical final table I'd probably fold, but if the payout structure were particularly top-heavy, or if I thought the players were likely to be calling shoves too tightly, then that would make me more likely to shove.

Re: a hand from BBP Final Table Wow Al after all these years you need to ask how to play this hand when just under 10bbs deep. It's shove or fold you have 30% equity against JJ -kk and will flip against all other pairs and be a dog to aj -ak. AJ might fold don't think AQ would. I'd get it in there's only 5 players who can knock you out it's a shove.

Re: a hand from BBP Final Table Steve, i wasnt necessarily asking how to play the hand, i wanted to isolate the small stack,but wasnt expecting Phil to re-raise,so knew he had a bigger hand than me.in the end i felt it was a correct fold especially as he had the better hand pre flop. he had me well covered and i wasnt prepared to put my tourney life on the line with A/10. shame really as it would have worked nicely for me.

Re: a hand from BBP Final Table

Steve' date=' i wasnt necessarily asking how to play the hand, i wanted to isolate the small stack,[/quote'] Al, the thing is - no isolating any small stack here as you're a small stack yourself. Irrespectively to the other stacks, you have an M of 4 and are getting desperate, so indeed push or fold. This ATs is borderline so a bit hard to say not knowing the table dynamics. In general, I'd probably push there Fred

Steve, i wasnt necessarily asking how to play the hand, i wanted to isolate the small stack,but wasnt expecting Phil to re-raise,so knew he had a bigger hand than me.in the end i felt it was a correct fold especially as he had the better hand pre flop. he had me well covered and i wasnt prepared to put my tourney life on the line with A/10. shame really as it would have worked nicely for me.
Just my 2 cents... profit in poker is mostly made by making opponents make mistakes. Here though, you really let your opponents play perfect against you here, they can never make a mistake by shoving you if you ever intend on folding. However, if you shove you can get your opponents to make mistakes by folding stronger hands than yours i.e. the AJ and you guarantee seeing 5cards with at least 30% equity.

Steve, i wasnt necessarily asking how to play the hand, i wanted to isolate the small stack,but wasnt expecting Phil to re-raise,so knew he had a bigger hand than me.in the end i felt it was a correct fold especially as he had the better hand pre flop. he had me well covered and i wasnt prepared to put my tourney life on the line with A/10. shame really as it would have worked nicely for me.
Sorry Al if I sounded condescending didn't realise it was a FT either but it's still a push or fold scenario.

• 1 month later...

Re: a hand from BBP Final Table I would s say it is a push or fold aswell. The min re-raise is going to have your A-10 looking like trash so at that point you have to let it go. If you jam it puts the pressure on the A-J and its for most of his chips that would have been a tough call.