Great horses winning the best races, good for racing but not so good for punting.

I've seen a lot of comments on here and elsewhere about the Derby not really interesting many people from a betting perspective and I fully agree. The Coronation Cup was similar with both races having odds on favourites that looked a class apart from the rest of the field. There are two approaches here to consider, a racing one and a betting one. It's great for racing when we have superstars like Sea The Stars, Frankel, Camelot but it makes the races somewhat of an exhibition. Other trainers swerve these hotpots knowing they have little chance of overturning the good thing and we end up with small fields or weak looking lineups in some of our feature races. Unless you want to get involved in the w/o favourite market these races have little interest for many punters looking to seek out some value. It's good to see a race where 4 or 5 have a genuine chance and we have to try and unravel the puzzle with form study to see where the odds compilers have possibly underestimated a runner. From a racing perspective I love to see Frankel absolutely demolish the opposition and it's a joy to watch such a monster in action but I'm hardly ever going to get any kind of price to back it at from a betting perspective. What do you think of seeing these great superstar horses? Do you just sit back, enjoy the racing and don't bother getting involved financially or do you pile in at long odds on backing a horse in what seems to be a risk free race? You can look forward to the St Leger and see Camelot is already an odds on chance to complete the Triple Crown, great for racing but hardly fills you with excitement as a betting proposition does it?

Re: Great horses winning the best races, good for racing but not so good for punting. I personally love seeing the likes of Frankel and Camelot pulverising opposition. Yes they aren't exactly a betting proposition unless you have thousands you can throw at them but there are still plenty of other races you can make your money on. If you have a couple of races on a card with strong odds on favourites in them, you just leave them alone and concentrate on the others. Like you said though, there are other markets available such as winning distance or w/o favourite. It's not very often that we are going to get a Frankel or Camelot so make the most of them now. I think both animals are freaks. Apparently Ballydoyle actually registered the name Camelot a few years ago but waited for the right horse to come along. I love watching class horses in action. Give me a bet on Camelot at odds on any day of the week rather than that farce that just happened over in France.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.