Katelyn Mallyon facing surgery after fall at Flemington Races

Yesterday at 9:41pm MELBOURNE, May 19 AAP - Tests have revealed injured rider Katelyn Mallyon has a broken T6 vertebra and facial fractures after a fall at Flemington and is likely to need surgery. The leading Melbourne apprentice also has a major concussion after hitting the ground when her mount Deliver the Dream went down in the home straight on Saturday. Mallyon, who was able to talk and move all her limbs after the fall, was taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital where the extent of her injuries was discovered. After winning a race earlier in the day, Mallyon sent a special message in a television interview to her mentor Michelle Payne who suffered back, rib and facial injuries in a fall last Sunday. Payne went to the hospital to be with Mallyon who leads this season's Melbourne apprentices premiership and kept her supporters informed via Twitter. Deliver the Dream escaped injury in the fall but two other horses were earlier put down after falls in different races amid complaints about the state of the track. One of those, Sparks Burn, was ridden by Payne's partner Mark Zahra who escaped with a sore shoulder. Trainer Danny O'Brien is embroiled in an ongoing stewards' inquiry over comments he made via social media critical of the Flemington surface.

Trainer critical of track surface Yesterday at 6:17pm By Mark Ryan MELBOURNE, May 19 AAP - Trainer Danny O'Brien faces an adjourned stewards' inquiry into comments he made via social media criticising the preparation of the Flemington track surface. Two horses were put down on Saturday after suffering leg injuries in separate races while apprentice Katelyn Mallyon was taken to hospital with concussion after a fall. Racing Victoria stewards, chaired by Robert Cram, questioned O'Brien about comments he made on Twitter regarding Flemington. "Have a look at the spring carnival last year. On Derby Day it was impossible impossible to win near the fence and on Melbourne Cup Day they were coming from eight and 10 off," O'Brien said on Saturday. "This is not a good surface." O'Brien told stewards he walked the track at 8am on Saturday and looked at a section near the clock tower with Victoria Racing Club chairman Michael Burn after the third race which the trainer won with The New Boy. He completed a winning double in the last of eight races with Eraset. "I don't believe tracks should be cored and sliced before meetings," O'Brien told stewards. "The fact is today here two horses broke legs, one (horse and jockey) had a very bad fall. It didn't happen at Morphettville, Doomben or Scone today." "I work (train) here. It is not up to standard...I have huge concerns about it. "There is not a person on this track today who has not in any way, shape or form discussed exactly what I've put on the record. "Why has this happened? Discussion about the Flemington course proper has been ongoing for well over two years. "I'm just bewildered. I don't know why I'm here (in the stewards room). Am I not allowed to comment?" The track surface was also criticised by jockey Dwayne Dunn who guided Chosen to Fly home a winner in race seven, heat two of the Winter Championship Series (1400m). "It's disappointing to come to the home of racing in Victoria to race on a track like that," Dunn said on TVN. "They are taking the top off it but not getting a good grip so some horses even though they run all right on these tracks aren't handling it and some are running well."

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.