Betting online while you're at the races

I think it's actually against the law when you are in the betting ring at the course to place bets online whether it be via your phone/laptop/ipad but it's hard to police and many (including myself) do this anyway. Has anyone taken an Ipad/Laptop to the races to study form while you're there and used it to place bets as it's what I'm considering. I would like to have the ability to go online while I'm at the races because it makes more sense to bet online due to BOG and better place terms. I suppose they won't allow it as it would kill off the betting ring. There is always the option of placing bets before you go to the races but with non runners, changes in going and market movers it makes sense to have the option to get online and back horses/lay off your bets/play in running etc. An ideal situation for me would be a spot high up in the stands with free access to Wifi so I could see over the winning post and get access to the internet rather than scrambling about for 1/6 and 1/7 odds ew terms in the betting ring before the off. Do you think racing will ever go this way with racing lounges for those wanting an internet connection? I place bets on course and then others with my phone via Betfair or Bet365 but at some courses the betting ring is kiles away from the parade ring (York for example) and by the time you've dashed from one to the other you have lost several points value. I suppose it might seem quite anti-social to envisage a time when all the punters will have their heads in their laptops and not be having banter with the bookies but with such horrible odds and ew terms available on course they have only themselves to blame. I have been unable to get a free wifi signal at the races and then the 3g is not always reliable. Thoughts?

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.