football data ratings...?

I'm sure many of you are familiar with football-data's rating system.. http://www.football-data.co.uk/ratings.pdf I'm just wondering what peoples opinion is of this? Narrowing down ratings to -2 to 2 give a yield of 10%, which is pretty good for any system. People might say it were a fluke or something perhaps, but it seems evident that the method used can take 'some' value off bookies and identify winners more often than not. Applying the system to multiple leagues could potentially produce 100+ points profit a year (which is amazing).. Obviously, each country has different enviroments, so the research would have to be put in to get a new equation for the resepective contries..... Any thoughts? Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: football data ratings...? jl294, I've always been curious about this system too. SURELY someone on this forum has backtested it over many more seasons at some point? I'd be astonished if not given the high esteem that Joe Buchdahl is held in on PL. Someone ran a system in this sub-forum a couple of years back which sounded identical (although no credit was ever given) and it produced a yield of well over 10%. I seem to remember that particular system included Serie A in addition to the English leagues.

Re: football data ratings...?

I'm sure many of you are familiar with football-data's rating system.. http://www.football-data.co.uk/ratings.pdf I'm just wondering what peoples opinion is of this? Narrowing down ratings to -2 to 2 give a yield of 10%, which is pretty good for any system. People might say it were a fluke or something perhaps, but it seems evident that the method used can take 'some' value off bookies and identify winners more often than not. Applying the system to multiple leagues could potentially produce 100+ points profit a year (which is amazing).. Obviously, each country has different enviroments, so the research would have to be put in to get a new equation for the resepective contries..... Any thoughts? Cheers.
I think this system is too simple to capture all the relevant data and it's unlikely it would generate profit.

• 5 weeks later...

Re: football data ratings...? I have a program for testing this system. In long term it doesn't work. Just run it for EPL and Championship for last 5 years. Results: -10% and -5%. This approach is very simple to work. E.g. it doesn't take into account whether a team is good or bad at home.

I have a program for testing this system. In long term it doesn't work. Just run it for EPL and Championship for last 5 years. Results: -10% and -5%. This approach is very simple to work. E.g. it doesn't take into account whether a team is good or bad at home.
Why not post the program up for others to play with themselves? If it doesn't generate profit then surely their is no harm in sharing your hard work.

Why not post the program up for others to play with themselves? If it doesn't generate profit then surely their is no harm in sharing your hard work.
I'd like to do it, but it'll be hard to share this program. It's very tightly connected with my database. I have an online application where you can see forecast for the game based on my statistical system. A part of this system is rating data very similar to http://www.football-data.co.uk/ratings.pdf, but: - it's not configurable - i.e. you cannot select to use rating system only; - now you cannot view backtesting result there; - if I post a link to the application here - I afraid it will be considered as spam:).