BBOTD Thursday 8th

5.00 Southwell Ghostwing 1pt win @ 8/1 William Hill Wrote this about ghostwing last time he ran. Fair to say he was very disappointing but going to give him one more chance tomorrow back at 5f. Also Fergus Sweeney back on baord which is a plus. quote_icon.png Originally Posted by cpo viewpost-right.png 3.45 Southwell Ghostwing 2pts win @ 8/1 Ladbrokes This is probably one of the most competitive race’s today so a little crazy to be napping in this but I do like Ghostwing here. Plenty in this race can be given chances but I think Ghostwing has excellent claims returning to this track. This horse showed vastly improved form on his first attempt on the surface when finishing 2nd to Cadeaux Pearl at the end of December last year. That run came over 5f, and he was actually well detached coming into the final couple of furlongs but ran on very strongly to just go down by a length. He then confirmed that run when breaking the track record over the same CD. This time he was fairly prominent throughout the race but stayed on powerfully to win quite comfortably by just over a length. The form of that race has worked out well with No Mean Trick, Shawkantango and Bookiesindex Box all doing well last time out with No Mean Trick winning. He then followed that with a terrible performance at Wolverhampton where he was never travelling and finished last of 8. That run came off a mark of 82 but I think the change of track was more of a factor for his bad run than his new mark. When he won over 5f at Southwell, he won off 75 and gets in this race off 81. What makes him of big interest is the face that Darren Edward Egan has been booked for the ride and takes off a very handy 7lbs. This puts him on 74 which is 1lb lower than when he broke the track record over 5f. I don’t know much about the jockey but he had a nice winner today on Trojan Rocket and won on Night Trade earlier in the month. He has had a few other placed efforts and looks good value for his claim. Although Ghostwing has been running over 5f at this track, I think the way he was outpaced on his first outing on the surface suggests 6f should be well within his reach. In 2010 this horse won off 85 at Chepstow on the flat and actually finished a good 2nd off 90 at Kempton later that year, both over 6f. That Kempton run was particularly impressive as he only finished just under a length behind Bohemian Melody who is a very good all weather horse and is contesting some very decent handicaps over in Dubai at the moment at the carnival. The pair pulled 5 lengths clear of the field that day so I would think that there is still plenty of room to manoeuvre for this horse of his current mark of 81. He is still only a 5 year old so there is every chance he can work his way back to the sort of form he showed in 2010. Brian Ellison always has to be respected at this track and he has the 2 at the head of the current market. I just have my doubts over the stable at the moment. Caldercruix is a horse I have backed recently and switched to this surface for the first time. If he handles it, then he must have every chance as he has been very consistent recently. Joe Le Taxi must be feared coming from the Mark Johnston yard and Bandstand could also run much better returning to this track. Tough looking race, in which half of the field could be given a chance of winning this but I just prefer the claims of Ghostwing. Novabridge who I napped today ran much better back at the track he had shown his best form at previously and I expect the same with this one. I am willing to forget his last run at Wolverhampton and expect him to build on his 2 very eye-catching runs on this surface. I don’t think the step up in trip will be a problem and he looks set for a big run, given he is effectively 1lb lower than when breaking the track record over 5f a couple of runs ago.