SA v England one-dayers

Right, i'll try to keep this briefer and more concise than all the waffle I came out with during the test! FORM. South Africa had a particularly bad 2004 in 1-dayers, winning only 5 out of 18 played with 1 no-result. This included losing 10 on the trot, and I believe they only beat Bangladesh at the start of that run so it could have been worse. England have won 14 of the last 23 games, and had that ICC runners up trophy, but although we beat Australia in the semis, there was only 2 previous games in the comp. PAST MEETINGS. 27 games between the sides at all venues, SA have won 17 of those. Of the 11 meetings in South Africa, SA have won 9. KEY PLAYERS. Jacques Kallis is in the top 3 in the world, averaging 46 with the bat and has also too 189 wickets. Shaun Pollock has played 221 games, with 305 wickets at an E/R of 3.74, but against England he has 32 wickets @ 19.7 with an E/R of 3.3. Graeme Smith averages 37, but only 22 against England. Herschelle Gibbs is in a bit of a bad run, and against England he has played 9 matches and only averages 13.4. Marcus Trescothick averages 38.3, including 8 1-day centuries, but averages 52 in 5 matches v SA. Michael Vaughan averages only 25 in this as opposed to mid 40s in tests. 1st ODI, Johannesburg 30/1. This is a day game. The Wanderers is a SA stronghold, they have won 14 from 18 ODIs here, and 7 from 9 day games. Overall ODI record here is: p 24, side batting 1st won 11, batting 2nd won 13. Of the 14 that were day games, even split of 7 each. Of the toss, the winners chose to bat 12 times, in the day games the winners batted 8 times. There have been 15 scores over 250 and 5 over 300. All 5 were in day games, batting 1st in 4 of them, the other chasing one of the previous. Highest score is 359-2 by Australia v India in the World Cup. There have been 5 scores under 150. The breakdown of SA wins is: 4 batting first (2 in day games), 10 bowling first (4 in day games). SA losses: 3 bowling 1st (1 day game) and only 1 batting 1st, (Duckworth-Lewis). They have never lost an uninterrupted game batting first on this ground, the only defeat when they set NZ 306-6 in the WC, and NZ scored 229-1 off 36.5 with 13 ball spare. The other day defeat being Australia 223-8, SA 204ao in 2001/2. There have been 2 past meetings at Joburg, SA winning by 6 wickets in 1995/6 and 38 runs in 1999/2000. There have been 11 centuries here, of the current team, Kallis and Gibbs have 1 each. Shaun Pollock has played 13 matches here with 22 wickets @ 21.5. I can only find out of date odds for batting/bowling in the first match at present, but Stan James go 4/6 SA, 11/10 England. Betfair go SA 1.76, England 2.8, Draw 12.0 for the series. Ive got to say that I think SA will win this first match. An interesting selection for SA is Bacher, who was a plodding batsman but has re-invented himself bowling dobbers, which sounds good for Collingwoods bowling. For SA, you surely cant go wrong with Kallis highest runs in the series, Pollock highest wickets. Inside Edge recommends a number of bets including backing England to win 4-3 AFTER the first game, so lengthening the odds, but this was while Flintoff was around. trescothick has to look good for top England runscorer. I have only posted this early as I have this kind of stats for all 7 games so if people want to look at a series correct score bet I could put them up with some notice before the series starts. :ok

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: SA v England one-dayers Stan James now go 4/7 SA, 5/4 England on the outright series. Something I forgot to mention, the 5 scores at Joburg of over 300 have all happened in the last 6 matches played there, all day games. Have also noticed that the 2 grounds with the best SA records, the strongholds, are Joburg and Cape Town, are the 1st and 4th games, very important positioning, and are both day games, to try and take the toss out of the equation. They're not as stupid as they look! Looks like Harmy wont play in 1st 2 matches at least.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.