Thursday 12th April - Race 3 - Totesport Bowl

• 2 months later...

Re: Thursday 12th April - Race 3 - Totesport Bowl Sticking with my pal here: 3.05 Aintree - 3pts win Burton Port @ 9/2 (Ladbrokes) Impossible to be absurdly confident this week with horses returning after running at Cheltenham, but this horse is one of my favourites, and has had a relatively light season considering he only returned from injury in mid-February. What he has achieved in two runs this season has been greater than most people could have expected I feel, and hopefully is in good shape going into this race. He should be spot on after two runs following his long absence, but did have a hard race at Cheltenham in the Gold Cup. However, he has a lot going for him so long as he is in good form and can take all the beating here. His jumping potentially cost him in the 2010 RSA Chase (certainly would have got a lot closer in 2nd if not winning) and an error at the cross-fence at Newbury in the Hennessy later that year meant he had to settle for 2nd in that contest also. He damaged a tendon which left him off the track until February of this year, where he ran an absolute cracker to narrowly go down to Long Run. Nicky Henderson suggested that my selection had improved by a stone since previously running on the track which would make him a very smart animal, and Barry Geraghty wasn't too forceful on him on his return. Considering this horse finds plenty for pressure he probably would have won with a stronger ride. His relatively slow jump out to the right at the final flight was another factor in his defeat. Regardless of his finishing position it was still a hugely encouraging return and this saw his odds slashed for the Cheltenham feature. I raised some concerns about his jumping when under strain prior to this. Obviously the potential 'bounce' factor was cause for concern also, but he didn't seem to be affected. However, considering he's not the biggest horse in the world, and his jumping - whilst capable - isn't always the most spectacular, he does tend to miss out a few fences, especially at Cheltenham (as in the RSA). He also came wide in the Gold Cup and was by no means disgraced when beaten 8l in 4th. Although he relishes the stamina test at that track, the jumping test should suit him better here. Hopefully this will come under less pressure here and he won't suffer from losing his place, which is possible for the horse. Despite Geraghty jumping off to partner Riverside Theatre, AP McCoy has enjoyed some good rides on the horse - including winning - and his attitude matches perfectly with this horse's huge heart. McCoy should be able to get plenty out of him and he can exploit any chinks in the opposition's armour when it comes to stamina. If avoiding any serious blemishes, he looks sure to stay on determinedly at the death, and can confirm himself as one of the best staying chasers around with victory tomorrow.