Thursday 12th April - Race 2 - Matalan Anniversary 4YO Novices Hurdle

• 2 months later...

Re: Thursday 12th April - Race 2 - Matalan Anniversary 4YO Novices Hurdle 2.30 Aintree - 3pts win Grumeti @ 7/2 (Ladbrokes) Considering there aren't any really fancied horses who skipped Cheltenham in the field, it may not be a disadvantage to have competed there, with the Triumph Hurdle obviously offering most of the clues to the answer of this race. I will stick by the horse who was sent off favourite for that race, Grumeti, who ended up finishing 3rd. They went a mad gallop in the race which meant it was a true test and those who prospered tended to come from off the pace. Although my selection galloped on bravely, he was susceptible to those who stay a bit better, and I think he was just caught out by this. He still did manage to lead at the last, where a mistake cost him a bit of momentum, but a return to an easier track will suit him I think. Countrywide Flame is a 1m6f winner on the flat which helped him at Cheltenham but I wouldn't be very confident on him confirming form here. The other runners close up behind that winner weren't separated by very much with my selection beaten 3/4l by the runner-up (doesn't run here). The error at the last possibly prevented King's charge from finishing 2nd which gives Grumeti the best form hopes of returning form here I think. I think the track will be spot on for him here and he should hold Dodging Bullets on form. Pearl Swan is possibly vulnerable over 2 miles around here given he clearly stays well. So long as he's ready to go again, I think Grumeti is a deserved favourite and will take the beating.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.