Flat Racing - Monday, 14th of November

Cowan

Since the flat turf season finished I've taken a break and done my research for the All Weather. I had my first bet yesterday at Wolves and got the winner so I'll put a few up for today. Just looking at 3yo+ Handicaps under 10f at Class 5 and above. I often pick multiple horses in a race when I can't split them, something I know most people dislike. Wolverhampton 4.40 - Frequency (8.00), Smalljohn (15.00ew), Hatta Stream (21.00ew) Looks your average 7f Wolverhampton race really. A couple of frontrunners, lots of prominent types, and one or two held -up sorts. Smalljohn and Spin Again want the lead and the pace should be brisk - which is par for the course on the sand. Draw plays a part with those drawn low by the rail almost twice as likely to win as those drawn wide outside. Its these two factors that I'm looking to capitalise on. Hatta Stream and Smalljohn are both quick racers drawn at the rail - textbook all weather winners! Its worth noting that Hatta Stream was trained by Said Bin Suroor until this June. The Pearce family now train it and Simon Pearce often rides. Hatta Stream always did better on the AW and it now looks like connections are gearing this one up as an AW competitor having given it 3 dummy runs recently for fitness. The last run for Smalljohn was a pipecleaner and he was drawn wide which would not suit at all so the poor performance in that race can be ignored. He can do some damage going quick down the rail now fit. A record of 17-5-4-3 and a win 2lto makes Frequency hard to ignore. Although unlike that run, he won't get the rail, and will have to race held-up from a middle draw - something he has done to good effect in the past. Wolverhampton 5.10 - Woolfall Sovereign (6.50), Lucky Dan (17.00ew), Bahamian Lad (13.00ew) Same race as the first but this is div2. Unlike the first race this one has almost zero pace. 8/12 runners want to be held-up which I consider unusual for all weather racing. Therefore I'm picking prominent horses. Woolfall Sovereign is relatively new to AW and is lightly raced despite being a 5yo. This maturity is telling as the gelding has won or placed in half of its races on the surface including a second place lto. Lucky Dan had been trained by Paul Green and has now been bought by him also - always a good sign. Its obvious Paul is aiming him at the all weather because he gave him 3 runs at the tail end of the turf season, where the horse did poorly. Has the right style and draw to go well. Bahamian Lad showed good determination to lead this race from a high draw in August. Does well but not an out-and-out winner, but this race is weak enough that he can take the spoils if he shows the same drive.

Re: Flat Racing Mon 13 Nov 3.10 Wolverhampton Awful looking card in general and this is just about the best race on the card. Stand Guard is useful on his day on the AW and although most recent wins have come in sellers and claimers this season but has won in handicaps off much higher marks but whether age is catching up with him has to be asked against some improving young legs in this field needs to be at his best. 2 out and out front runners in this field in Amazing Blue Sky and Sharp Soveriegn should ensure a decent gallop which should suit Dark Dune who caught the eye last time out over CD staying on extremely well after meetin plenty of trouble in the finish. That was his first start on the AW and may have more to offer on the surface especially considering he is running off his last winning mark and looks sure to be in the shake up. Perilously was clearly held in high regard having been entered in Coronation Stakes, but shown little to suggest she can ever me as good as that, looking rather awkward under pressure last time out, cheekpieces fitted today may correct that but needs to show more before becoming backable now despite not having many runs. Sand Skier is potentially well handicapped on form he showed for Mark Johnston having placed in decent handicaps off marks in the high 80's now running off 70 now and has on more than one occasion looked likely to win a race off this sort of mark but this is a strong race for the grade and he has never been one to put full faith in with only one win from 23 starts. If Dark Dune isnt aswell handicap as feel he maybe the improving Castlemorris King may pick up the pieces. He has really taken to the AW making it 2 from 2 last time out. The first race he won over CD is working out extremely well with the 2nd winning next 2 flat starts latest coming off a 7lb higher mark, Castlemorris was 2 lengths ahead of her. The 6th has also won a race and been running well aswell. He overcame a 8lb rise in the handicap in impressive style last time out again over CD with a 4 length victory only a 6lb rise to overcome today which looks more than fair and clearly thriving and unexposed on the surface and looks one to keep on side. 2pt win Dark Dune 6/1 lads 2pt win Castlemorris King 7/2 lads

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.